The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-09-2020, 06:46 PM

Default Cover me up

Everyone's doing it... but it's blooming hard for a bass-baritone like me, especially in a tiny room.

Battling with clipping and the fact that my iphone records video at a different speed than my Zoom records audio... who'd have thought it?

1 take wonder though.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 06-09-2020, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Nice job Rick! It’s tough one for sure if you have a “typical “ male voice You bring a lot of feeling to the lyric, well done!!

Last edited by reeve21; 06-10-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Nice take on it, Rick - and nice Avalon! I picked up the guitar once today, during a brief break from work, and went straight to Flagship. It's an Isbell type of day.

Austin
Old 06-09-2020, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Nice job. I love that song. Jason Isbell is one of the best in the current crop of American singer/songwriters and that's one of his best. I'm dying to do that song but I just don't have the range.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Nice job. I love that song. Jason Isbell is one of the best in the current crop of American singer/songwriters and that's one of his best. I'm dying to do that song but I just don't have the range.
I gave up on it for the same reason, those octave jumps are a killer. I've not tried to figure out the little fills that work so well in drop D in another key, and I can't capo far enough up to enough to sing it an octave lower.

But recently all of these great versions we've been getting on S and T inspired me to give it another go--but tuned a whole step down. It works, kind of....hoping to get it up to Eb and maybe to standard some day
Old 06-10-2020, 08:03 AM

Way to go Rick. Great playing and singing. Everyone makes this beauty their own. I really enjoyed yours.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 06-10-2020, 08:05 AM

Nice job Rick..

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 06-10-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Nice job Rick! It’s tough one for sure if you have a “typical “ male voice You bring a lot of feeling to the lyric, well done!!
Thank you! Yes, it's a tough one –– that and Chris Stapleton's 'Either Way'. My speaking voice is very low, and most days I can sing a clear, undistorted C#2 and sometimes a D2 –– so getting up to those kind of notes needs me to start doing it in head voice then bringing in my resonance and a bit of grit to fill it out. I don't always like the sound of it on certain words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukematrix View Post
Nice take on it, Rick - and nice Avalon! I picked up the guitar once today, during a brief break from work, and went straight to Flagship. It's an Isbell type of day.

Austin
Thanks Austin, it's a great guitar... even with dead strings it just loves drop D and everything sings. Awesome, he's a brilliant writer and artist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Thank you! I agree.

On the range thing, if you look at what I posted to Reeve21 above, I have a super low voice but I managed to learn how to start in my 'head voice' –– it kind of sounds falsetto –– then kind of push it to the back of my nasal cavity whilst tightening my chest –– it thickens out to sound like it's not head voice anymore. Experiment with it... do the soft, operatic sort of high from a 'yawn', then make it between that and nasal. You'll get them, I believe it's possible for most people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
I gave up on it for the same reason, those octave jumps are a killer. I've not tried to figure out the little fills that work so well in drop D in another key, and I can't capo far enough up to enough to sing it an octave lower.

But recently all of these great versions we've been getting on S and T inspired me to give it another go--but tuned a whole step down. It works, kind of....hoping to get it up to Eb and maybe to standard some day
Again, you will be surprised... try experimenting with your 'falsetto' thin high, then move the sound around. After a lot of practice, I can switch in and out of it mid-note now. I just don't like the sound on certain words at the moment, so I'm working on making vowel sounds from different accents, kinda, whilst up in that range... this song was me doing that for an exercise, but I liked the recording so I treated it and posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by started with 1 View Post
Way to go Rick. Great playing and singing. Everyone makes this beauty their own. I really enjoyed yours.
Thanks so much, really appreciate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Nice job Rick..
Thank you very much my friend!

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell