The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-17-2019, 07:49 PM

Remember when Steve Earle toured with the Del McCoury Band and they stood in a semicircle around one mic? No pickups, no cables, no amps, just instruments and

one

microphone.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:59 PM

About a month ago I was in a 'touristy' town for the weekend and I brought my 12 & 16 year old to a small (200 seat?) theater where there was a 12 piece band playing big band music. My kids loved it. What I couldn't understand is why so many microphones were used. Even at choral events it seems like everyone is mic'd.

Even when it's not turned all the way to eleven, I don't understand the use of microphones when it's not necessary. My daughter is in a choir and they have to learn to project. That's part of singing. Part of playing music is learning how to blend in (not having someone at a mixing board do it).

The volume has gotten out of hand. Just because you can mic a banjo, doesn't mean you should.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:13 AM

I was just at a music event with two sopranos, a tenor and a pianist last night. The only amplification was for the MC. The music was really well done, but I found it painful to listen to. My hearing is in rough shape as well (57 years old, but 30 plus of that running sound systems). Hyperacusis makes loud high frequencies painful and that includes unamplified sound in that range.

Everyone’s hearing damage is different, but for mine, soft mellow amplification with lots of low and mid frequencies is preferable to playing and singing loudly which can sound shrill and harsh.

I always bring some sort of hearing protection to any live event. I use ear plugs which preserve some of the highs. I keep extras on my key ring, in my car, in my guitar case, etc.. if I still get caught without them, I chew up bits of paper and shove them in my ears.

I just have to keep what’s left of my hearing!
Old 05-26-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
Remember when Steve Earle toured with the Del McCoury Band and they stood in a semicircle around one mic? No pickups, no cables, no amps, just instruments and

one

microphone.

I just saw a Peter, Paul & Mary show on PBS a few weeks ago. Three singers, two guitars, two microphones. Of course, those were probably omni-directional mikes with no stage monitors. Maybe we go a bit overboard these days?

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-26-2019, 10:51 PM

single mics are great way to amplify a show.
problem is it has to be a very large stage with
plenty of seperation between mic and speaker
to get the volume to the appropriate spl so
folks in the back can hear it. great for del
and steve earl playing to 5000 listening people.
Where the speakers are a football field apart.
Not so great for me playing to 50 folks in a cramped
loud brewery or wine bar. Id love to play through
a mic . But its not feasible all the time.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:15 PM

When I play in our trio (acoustic/lead and bass) we start out at a low volume and try our best to continue getting lower. We cross check ourselves too in order to make sure someone is not loud which causes someone else to turn up. Now this is in smaller bar/pub type venues.
The concept is start low and more importantly, stay low.

when I do solo acoustic and vocals, I try to keep my volume at a level that people can still talk over without having to speak loudly.

Volume is a hard thing to tame and I have found over the years that I had unintentionally always played too loudly - back in the days when it was the louder the better. I have been playing out since the 70’s and now carry ear plugs with me wherever I go. I rarely go to big concerts anymore and if I do, my enjoyment is limited since I have to wear ear protection.

If you are a musician that has played for years you would be very fortunate to not have suffered hearing loss. I also use earplugs when practicing if I feel any ear strain at all. Most hearing loss is irreversible, so if you are younger, keep that in mind!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification