The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-29-2018, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Default How significant is this bridge lift?

I just received a 2007 Larrivee LV-03 that I purchased on Reverb. Cosmetically, its in great shape, but I think it has suffered from some long term dehydration. I noticed after changing the strings that the bridge is lifting. You can see in the photos. I slipped a piece of paper under it to show how far the separation goes.

I have been in communication with the seller and am planning on taking it my luthier later in the week, but I wanted to get some opinions on how significant this looks. I'm hoping for a simple clamp and glue as opposed to needing to take the bridge off.

In the meantime, its getting well hydrated here until it gets to the shop.

https://imgur.com/a/rCI25
Old 01-29-2018, 07:00 PM

I feel any bridge lift is significant.Its not like its gonna glue itself back down and get better.

As a matter of fact I just got through replacing a lifting bridge on my Martin D Jr. While I was at it I replaced the stock composite bridge with an ebony. A good luthier will actually form the bridge to the top. No such thing as a perfectly flat top.

I love Larrivees. Good luck with the bridge repair.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:08 PM

You may be able to have it reglued without pulling it off.
Loosten the strings and get it to a Tech ASAP.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:11 PM

Kriso, that should definitely get glued down. Only a good repair tech can tell you for sure whether you’ll be able to get by with a simple glue-and-clamp repair or if the bridge will have to be removed, sanded and re-glued to the top. But from what I could see in the photos, it doesn’t look as though the wood of the bridge has deformed to the point where the more drastic, expensive repair will be needed.

I have had a couple of guitars have their bridges lift like that, but was able to get away with the simpler clamp it down repair. In other words, the bridge on that guitar doesn’t look too far gone at this point.

Let us know what your repair tech decides to do.

whm
Old 01-29-2018, 09:48 PM

I do think you're "there" with respect to getting it repaired. I notice that the lift extends the entire section of the bridge and that even the end is lifting so you have the length pulling up. That would get me to the repair guy, for sure.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-29-2018, 10:31 PM

Doesn't look too serious in my opinion. More of a cosmetic issue.

If those are the only areas where it is unglued, it is still 90% stuck to the top. If you like the sound of the guitar and can put up with the looks, then, you probably don't have to get it fixed right away. The bridge is only tilting forward and would probably stay like that for years.

A bridge cannot pull off the top of a guitar except by catastrophic top failure. The balls of the strings and all the pins would have to pull up through the pin holes, in the top of the guitar, all at the same time for the bridge to pull off. The pin holes, in the top of the guitar, are too small for the balls and pins to come up through the holes together.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:27 PM

The bridge should be removed and reglued. You can expect to pay around $100 for that to be done by a professional.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Doesn't look too serious in my opinion. More of a cosmetic issue.

If those are the only areas where it is unglued, it is still 90% stuck to the top. If you like the sound of the guitar and can put up with the looks, then, you probably don't have to get it fixed right away. The bridge is only tilting forward and would probably stay like that for years.

A bridge cannot pull off the top of a guitar except by catastrophic top failure. The balls of the strings and all the pins would have to pull up through the pin holes, in the top of the guitar, all at the same time for the bridge to pull off. The pin holes, in the top of the guitar, are too small for the balls and pins to come up through the holes together.

I agree with the charles Tauber post above.

Simple 'glue and clamp' jobs don't always work well because the 2 surfaces have old dried glue on them that is difficult to remove with the bridge in place.

Removing the bridge entirely means all the old dried glue can be removed and the 2 surfaces can be properly cleaned which will allow the new glue to bond more efficiently.

Re gluing a bridge is not really difficult but removing it neatly and cleanly is the tricky part and does require skill.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-30-2018, 08:00 AM

Ditto on getting it fixed. If it were my guitar, I would slacken the strings. It may not fail immediately and I've seen guitars with lifting bridges stay stable for a long time, but why take the risk?

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 01-30-2018, 09:11 AM

I don't think it's only cosmetic.
I had similar lift in my old Yamaha.
I continued playing and within a year, it was lifting much more causing it to go out of tune.
It was ready to come out.

Fix it asap.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:42 AM

Default Bridge Lift

It absolutely needs to be repaired.

I would definitely get an estimate and tell the seller that you expect compensation if there was no mention of it in the listing. That is certainly something that should have been disclosed.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 01-30-2018, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriso77 View Post
I'm hoping for a simple clamp and glue as opposed to needing to take the bridge off.
I know there are repair people who will do it, but that always seems like a bad idea to me. The remaining glue might not be in great shape and there's really no way to know how soundly the bridge is attached when the repair is done as you described. To my thinking, the "clamp and glue" (as you called it) is a penny wise, dollar foolish repair that would leave me always wondering when that saddle is going to finally give way. I'd want it removed completely, cleaned up, and reglued.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-30-2018, 09:59 AM

It definitely needs to be repaired properly.

Did the seller provide an "inspect and return" period? Do you have PayPal buyer protection in place?

I would not accept the sale if this problem was not disclosed prior to you agreeing to purchase it.

If you like the guitar, and the seller is willing to pay for the repair, I would be OK with having a competent repair tech do the job.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:23 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
It absolutely needs to be repaired.

I would definitely get an estimate and tell the seller that you expect compensation if there was no mention of it in the listing. That is certainly something that should have been disclosed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrj View Post
It definitely needs to be repaired properly.

Did the seller provide an "inspect and return" period? Do you have PayPal buyer protection in place?

I would not accept the sale if this problem was not disclosed prior to you agreeing to purchase it.

If you like the guitar, and the seller is willing to pay for the repair, I would be OK with having a competent repair tech do the job.
The above were my initial thoughts as well. Often, pics don’t capture any subtle problems that may exist, especially if the seller wants to only highlight the positive aspects of the guitar. Even if you didn’t ask the seller before buying if the guitar had any imperfections whatsoever, the fact that it wasn’t disclosed should give you recourse, particularly if you paid by PayPal. I wouldn’t have anything done to that guitar at least until you take the matter up with the seller. Why should you be forced to pay additnal cost for repair on a guitar that clearly needs it if it wasn’t disclosed? Just curious...is the soundboard lifting (convex) behind the bridge and sinking (concave) in the soundhole area? If so, I’d think that’s a serious problem.

Whatever you decide, good luck with getting the matter, or the guitar, fixed.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

The bridge on my 12 string was lifting like the OP's, not a lot but coming up,... sadly there is no short cut to right.

It's off now and I'm prep-ing to reglue. Thought I'd use hide glue and see if there's an advantage soundwise on this guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair