The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-21-2017, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
Well I have located an OX to try out and a Rainsong for this Saturday. The Journey is impossible to find near me to compare.
IMO if you go into this looking to duplicate the Martin 000-18 sound you might be disappointed. But if you go in with an open mind you can find some amazing sounding CF guitars.

The OX should be on the short list. It has a nice low end and good volume. I would also agree with the Black bird Lucky 13. Had one for a while and it had the 000 kind-a sound and feel (unfortunately it was run over by a car - they are not indestructible)
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 02-21-2017, 08:08 PM

I don't live on a boat but do cruise for most of the summer on a small sailboat and own carbon fiber guitars for this purpose. I've had a Rainsong Shorty that I never bonded with and bought a Blackbird Rider which was with me last summer.

This year I will probably take my new X20 which not only looks and sounds great but is very easy to hold and play because of its ergonomic shape. I tried an X7 which was too small for me and I already had the Rider. I also have a Lucky 13 which I like very much as well.

IMHO, these guitars are like all guitars and are very much a personal choice. Good luck with your search.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
I would like something size wise and tone wise to my Martin 000-18. I like the short scale and 1-3/4 nut, but could adjust.
Rainsong Shorty is almost the exact same size (12 fret though) or a Rainsong OM which would be standard scale.

Brighter sounding than a 000-18, but possibly damp that down with some Monels.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-21-2017, 10:07 PM

Size Comparison, my Shorty with my Larrivee OM, which is the same size as a Martin OM.

The Rainsong is slightly shallower, but otherwise the body dimensions are essentially the same. Shorter reach to the upper frets of course.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-21-2017, 10:17 PM

I concur that the RainSong Shorty is very close dimensionally to the 000-18. While I am not a big Martin guy--more of a Taylor fan--I do understand the reasons that the 000-18 is popular.

The Shorty is tonally very different from either the Martin or the Taylor... yet I have found it to be one of the best all-around guitars that I have ever owned.

I would love to get hands on an Emerald X20 (just to compare... I'll return it... really, I promise)... a difficult task in my rural neck of the woods... err, desert.

Still... the Shorty gets my strong recommendation.

Old 02-22-2017, 12:16 AM

Looks like I am going to have to try to find a way to play most all mentioned here. The good thing I think is that unlike wood guitars which vary in tone from one 000-18, to the next, a CF model should all sound the same except for string choice? So if I play one OX, I won't find another that sounds much different?
Old 02-22-2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Looks like I am going to have to try to find a way to play most all mentioned here. The good thing I think is that unlike wood guitars which vary in tone from one 000-18, to the next, a CF model should all sound the same except for string choice? So if I play one OX, I won't find another that sounds much different?
You might think, but I'm not so sure. Back in September I demo'ed a Composite Acoustics GX for a few weeks. I sent that one back but ordered another one (different color, different electronics) that should have been identical, sonically. But the one I just received (NGD post coming eventually!) seems to have a more balanced, fuller sound with the default Elixir strings. For the demo, I had to change out the strings to get a tone I liked.

Anecdote isn't the plural of data, of course. But I think there can be small variations in different instances of the same model guitar no matter what it's made of, as long as there is part of the manufacturing process that's done by hand.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

You have a good problem. I love my Rainsong P-12. It has travelled to the Caribbean (3X and each time went sailing with me) and to Italy. Never goes out of tune, always sounds clear and articulate (common adjectives for CF guitars). Good luck in finding "the one".
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 02-26-2017, 12:43 AM

I extensively sail Lake Superior and for me the Rainsong Shorty is perfect. I also have their parlor and it is very nice too if you wanted to go a bit smaller.

Rainsong Shorty SG
Rainsong P12T
All the Martins, Gibsons, and others are gone.
Old 02-27-2017, 03:32 PM

If you want something similar to a 000-18, I would look at the Lucky 13 or Rainsong. IMO, the L13 is a bit more jangly sounding (at least mine is to me) compared to the Martin with a similar scale, and the Rainsongs tend to be similar sounding but probably all I have played were on the brighter side of the Martin. I tried CA too and liked the Cargo, but it is probably too small for what you want and a different animal sound wise.

If you don't mind the slightly longer scale, then jump on the standard X-20. It's the cat's meow. It might not be the best playing acoustic guitar out there, but I haven't found anything I like better so far. It is probably the most comfortable guitar I have ever played (so far) and I put in a hour or two on it pretty much everyday. I am sure Alistair can make you one with the scale etc... that you prefer, but I like mine enough to stick with the standard.

That said, I really like my L13 and usually take it with me when I have to go somewhere and expect to have a free hour or two. I get tired of people asking me about the X-20 and talking instead of playing, so I have been leaving it at home more than not when I am out.

I usually use my guitars mostly for accompanying my poor singing, but if I know I am going to be playing rhythm or for someone else's singing (or even attempting lead) on an acoustic I will bring the X-20. It can handle pretty much whatever is thrown at it.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 02-27-2017, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

wow...sounds like what I was looking for...."THE" boat guitar. I found mine.

I bought a rainsong concert series 12 fret parlor specifically for my sailboat. To me its the perfect boat guitar. No worry about the elements, sounds/plays great, and compact in its gig bag. Plus its got fish on the neck! well, sharks anyways.

I'm a martin guy and to me its got a martin like shaped neck (like a modified V) plus 1 3/4" nut which I require....ie like 30's martins and now the retro's.

Bought it without electronics then added a K&K 'cause we record a bit. Sounds really great plugged in. K&K has no battery or circuit board so better for the salt air.

The concert series was special order but after research wanted the concert material for sound...plus had to have the fish. 12 fret leads to richer sound (more sound board under the strings) and a bit more compact. cutaway so can still reach up to 15 on that rare occasion.

It's been down to Monterey and back a few times from SF bay. We're planning extended cruising and that's what will go with us along with my wife's koa uke.

I enjoy playing it so much that I use it at home as much as my other two go-2 guitars....000ec and '37 00. Also will throw it over my shoulder take it to the beach or woods here at Tahoe.

PS - not nylon strings
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 02-27-2017, 07:10 PM
Guest 928

Dad;

The nylon strings are just as good--though I think they sound better.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:56 PM

Even though I TOTALLY don't follow my own advice, I do like guitars that could be "the one to rule them all". Therefore, if I were to get one guitar, it would have to be a long scale guitar; I think they have more dynamic range and are more articulate, but again, that's just my opinion.

I can't say enough nice things about my new H-WS1000N2 by Rainsong! Very versatile, and the hybrid fiber is more mellow than other carbon fibers I've tried.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
Size Comparison, my Shorty with my Larrivee OM, which is the same size as a Martin OM.

The Rainsong is slightly shallower, but otherwise the body dimensions are essentially the same. Shorter reach to the upper frets of course.
AZ, those two fine acoustics look rather happy together.

Quote:
Rainsong and Composite Acoustics are as consistent as Taylor and Martin. Trust me, I handle more guitars from all four brands every year than most.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber