The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-30-2019, 10:48 PM

Default Anyone Using Hearing Aids to through their Interface

Hi There,
I play acoustic guitar and try to sing along and record using an audio interface, all done using headphones. I am very hard of hearing and I am wondering if adapting my hearing aids may give me an improvement on headphones which seem to be giving me some problems these days

I'm thinking of trying out an audio shoe attachment that connects to my hearing aids. Has anyone any experience of using Hearing Aids connected via their Interface, they are a shoe connection that fits on to the end of the hearing aid called a DAI (Direct Audio Input) a cable connects from the shoe to the headphone connection on the audio interface.

Regards
Alan
Old 05-31-2019, 03:23 AM

Hi Alan,I don't have a direct reply to your question but I do wear aids and as I now do more recording, I do find vocals using headphones not great due to feedback when headphones are on.
I know that my aids (GNResound) can connect with Bluetooth which is great for streaming and controlling via my iPhone. Just a thought: I can get a Bluetooth streamer from GNResound that will stream from my tv (presumably jack plug to TV then stream to aids via Bluetooth.
I am at my audiologist in next week or so and will have look at the technology to see if it'll work from audio output direct to aids for recording - Fingers crossed!
Stuart
Old 05-31-2019, 04:21 AM

Hi thanks for your reply Stuart,

My aids are the I-fit E81 GNSound, I'm not sure they are Bluetooth - but they have four options activated now:

1) Normal
2) Music
3) Loop
4) DAI (direct audio input)

It'll be interesting to see how you go on, some of our audiologist are very helpful and others not at all so... (NHS UK)

Cheers
Alan
Old 06-05-2019, 07:22 AM

Not using a shoe connection, but I do something like what you're asking. I have Opticon aids, the Chili SP9 model. Not in their current line. It has a Bluetooth style option, where I have a radio transmitter module that links with my hearing aids. There's a 1/8 inch audio jack in the module so I can plug in anything with a monitor or headphone jack and hear it directly in my aids. I use it all the time in place of headphones.

Great to use for recording. I mess around with a Tascam digital multiple track machine (EXP-008) and it's great to avoid sound leak from headphones and risk of feedback that us profound hard of hearing people get because we've got the phones so loud and we're right next to a mic.

I've never tried using it as monitor in a live sound situation. I wonder if that could work?

If your aids don't have any Bluetooth or radio transmitter capability, maybe a neckloop is another option to a shoe connection?
Old 06-05-2019, 09:38 AM

My solution is to use my hearing aids as normal with good over the ear heaphones from Bose. The problem with direct line into hearing aids is if the hearing aids are vented (like mine.) If they are vented, then you'll loose all th low frequency information running direct in. See your audiologist. They may be able to help.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
My solution is to use my hearing aids as normal with good over the ear heaphones from Bose. The problem with direct line into hearing aids is if the hearing aids are vented (like mine.) If they are vented, then you'll loose all th low frequency information running direct in. See your audiologist. They may be able to help.
Just want to quickly say it's a relief to hear that this, and presumably playing out as I know you do as well, is even possible. I was just diagnosed with hearing loss and tinnitus (the result of illness, not loud gigs, something I was always very careful about), and still trying to wrap my head around all this. Won't comment more about this here, may bring it up elsewhere.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Just want to quickly say it's a relief to hear that this, and presumably playing out as I know you do as well, is even possible. I was just diagnosed with hearing loss and tinnitus (the result of illness, not loud gigs, something I was always very careful about), and still trying to wrap my head around all this. Won't comment more about this here, may bring it up elsewhere.
I sent you a PM.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Well don't panic. I used to think I was an odd man out. Childhood hearing loss and already wearing aids when I started playing at age 14. Now 64 and in the severe to profound category. Chance comment last year on this forum and I find there's a surprising number of guitar players here functioning with hearing aids.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Dave, Rick, thanks guys, and thanks to Alan for the topic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification