The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-27-2019, 08:59 AM

Default soundhole humbucker with a jazzy tone

Oddly, I am interested in amplification that is NOT necessarily faithful to the acoustic guitar native tone. I'm going to be a strictly bedroom or sofa player so the unplugged guitar will have all the volume and tone I'll need. But if I am going to plug it in, it would be to experiment with the versatility of electric tones are more of a departure from the original tone. But I don't like the tones of the ubiquitous Fishman systems. I find them 'tinny' with a snappy tone that is unpleasant to my ear. I have read somewhere that some of the humbucking soundhole pickups change the tone into more of a warm jazzbox kind of sound. That would appeal to me. I would like to keep the price to around $100. Do any of you have experience and have suggestions. There are so many of these things to choose from.

Thanks,
Old 05-27-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

The DiMarzio Black Angel magnetic sound hole pickup is a favorite around here at AGF. It's priced a little above your budget but it's worth the extra cash. I own one and like it as much as my Sunrise pickups. Different flavors. Both good. The Sunrise is WAY over your budget so I'm recommending the Black Angel.

Wait! Hold the presses! This DeArmond Tone Boss pickup looks like just what you want. It's from Guild and costs less than $100. Vintage vibes and mojo.

Last edited by Al Acuff; 05-27-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 07:43 PM

Default D'Armond Tone Boss

yeah, I saw this one too. Comes standard on one of their guitar models as well. Was very impressed with the sound. Thanks. Who doesn't want a little mojo
Old 05-29-2019, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

For what it's worth among the pickups I mentioned the Black Angel is the most natural sounding and doesn't need a special preamp. It sounds good plugged directly in to a PA. The Sunrise adds a bit of electric twang and sounds very nice through an old blackface Fender tube amp or going through a vacuum tube preamp into a PA.

I haven't tried the DeArmond soundhole PU but used to have a DeArmond on an archtop and it was sweet in a lofi kinda way. My ears are happiest when my mag pickup goes through a vacuum tube or two but I have to confess that some of my friends refer to me as a "tube head". I'm biased toward that sound. Nonetheless there is something enduring about the sound of a magnetic sound hole pickup running through tubes and transformers.
Old 05-29-2019, 07:50 PM

Thanks again Al,
Black Angel is on my radar.
Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification