The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-01-2017, 02:27 PM

Default Played some Composite Acoustic and Rainsongs today

Well, I finally got to a shop with a selection of carbon fiber guitars to try. Luckily I was the only one in the acoustic room.
I went in thinking Rainsong Shorty or Composite Acoustic Ox. Then I had to try the others of course. RS Smokey, RS WS1000N2, CA GXI, CA GX Wide Neck.
I got to play them unpluged and through a Fishman loudbox mini.
Each were excellent and each had there own particular voice and attributes.
I think I have narrowed down to between the RS WS1000N and the CA GX Wide Neck.
Leaning towards the GX wide neck carbon burst. Both stunning guitars. I liked the neck on the CA GX best and the contors were very comfortable. The sound was more Woodlike to me and balanced. The action was spot on for me and had just a slight amount of neck relief. No truss rod though.the body just resonated against my chest.
The shop offered it to me for 700.00 below best Internet prices. I may be doomed. GAS in full affect.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:52 PM

It would be hard to go wrong either way. You like the neck feel and woodier tone of the CA GX, and they are offering it at essentially a used guitar price. I would not "fret" about the lack of a truss rod, if you are happy with the current relief.

Sounds like a "go" to me..... resistance is futile.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:38 PM

You are having too much fun. Both of those guitars and great... but seeing how you really like the neck one....
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-01-2017, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

The sooner you get it, the sooner you can be enjoying it....congrats. They are both great guitars.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:31 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
It would be hard to go wrong either way. You like the neck feel and woodier tone of the CA GX, and they are offering it at essentially a used guitar price. I would not "fret" about the lack of a truss rod, if you are happy with the current relief.

Sounds like a "go" to me..... resistance is futile.
One thing I forgot to do was to tune down 1/2 step, which is where I like it most of the time. Not having a truss rod to tweak might be a problem?
Looks like another trip back to the store. I know, what a hardship
Old 03-01-2017, 08:20 PM

Bring 'em both home. Somebody might get the other while you are deciding.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 03-02-2017, 03:04 PM

I've been very, very happy with my CA GX for a few years now.

And PS -- I tune a whole step down, FYI...

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

Last edited by slewis; 03-22-2017 at 01:15 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
One thing I forgot to do was to tune down 1/2 step, which is where I like it most of the time. Not having a truss rod to tweak might be a problem?
Doubtful., IMO Tuning a standard light gauge set down from E-e (~165 pounds total) down to Eb (~150 pounds total) would not make much difference in the neck relief. If anything, the neck would get flatter, ie: less relief. Most CF necks are extremely stiff and simply don't move much. Acousticado here sometimes mentions that he cannot tune his 12-string WS-3000 up to E-e because the relief gets excessive for him, and those have no truss rods. But now we are talking about 235 pounds of total string tension, give or take.

I play the various CA's in my local store sometimes when I visit, even though I'm not actively shopping. They play nice and sound quite good, but I'm already set with an original N1 neck Rainsong WS-1000 and a new Blackbird Lucky 13. No truss rod in either of those, and both wear medium gauge string sets right now. I have ranged from mediums at E-e (standard) down to lights in Open F. That is quite a range of tension variation, and I never perceive any difference in relief or action. I can feel the differences in string tension, of course, but the action does not seem to vary perceptibly.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Doubtful., IMO Tuning a standard light gauge set down from E-e (~165 pounds total) down to Eb (~150 pounds total) would not make much difference in the neck relief. If anything, the neck would get flatter, ie: less relief. Most CF necks are extremely stiff and simply don't move much. Acousticado here sometimes mentions that he cannot tune his 12-string WS-3000 up to E-e because the relief gets excessive for him, and those have no truss rods. But now we are talking about 235 pounds of total string tension, give or take.

I play the various CA's in my local store sometimes when I visit, even though I'm not actively shopping. They play nice and sound quite good, but I'm already set with an original N1 neck Rainsong WS-1000 and a new Blackbird Lucky 13. No truss rod in either of those, and both wear medium gauge string sets right now. I have ranged from mediums at E-e (standard) down to lights in Open F. That is quite a range of tension variation, and I never perceive any difference in relief or action. I can feel the differences in string tension, of course, but the action does not seem to vary perceptibly.
Great info, thanks so much.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Acousticado here sometimes mentions that he cannot tune his 12-string WS-3000 up to E-e because the relief gets excessive for him, and those have no truss rods. But now we are talking about 235 pounds of total string tension, give or take.
I have the exact same problem with my WS3000. Tuned to pitch the relief is excessive, so I keep it tuned down a 1/2 step.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-03-2017, 08:24 AM

I was referring to you, AZ. But I posted yesterday between meetings. Both handles start with "A" and it was a hectic day. Sorry.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Default Patience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
The sooner you get it, the sooner you can be enjoying it....congrats. They are both great guitars.
Yes! Patience is hard to come by when incoming is imminent.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:53 PM

My 2 cents here.

Before you take home either one, do a quick QC on the frets. Particularly at the higher registers, for any possible "ski bump".

Not much you can do to rectify those, especially the serious ones (as there's no way to plane the CF fingerboard like a wooden ones).
Old 03-21-2017, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Koh View Post
My 2 cents here.

Before you take home either one, do a quick QC on the frets. Particularly at the higher registers, for any possible "ski bump".

Not much you can do to rectify those, especially the serious ones (as there's no way to plane the CF fingerboard like a wooden ones).
So... what causes "ski bump"? Sounds risky (or fun?) on the slopes. Bad for frets.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:44 AM

Basically some uneven frets, those that are further away from the nut but are higher, causing earlier frets to fret out.

May not happen from current production but worth paying attention to.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber