The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-18-2017, 06:33 PM

Default Almost got a RS DR100 today

Bought a nice Martin DRS2 a couple weeks back, a few months before that a nice Washburn to replace my dying Fender acoustic.
Noticed some string buzz and dead frets on the Washburn a few weeks ago where none were before, turns out the neck warped a bit presumably from humidity issues.
This got me worrying about the Martin, I hang my guitars up, never case them.
Got a humidity checker, humidity in my room is about 22%, so I got a room humidifier.
Really doesn't have any affect outside of its immediate area, so now I am getting guitar humidifiers as well.

1st time after 30 years of playing that I have ever considered this - And now I know why the guitar I leave at my camper is wrecked. So I started looking into composites to get around this problem, and discovered CF for the 1st time.

Must say, I went into sticker shock browsing around ,, But it is what it is, sometimes you just have to shut up and pony up to get what you need - And to further complicate matters, I am a lefty.
Found a used Rainsong DR100 at Guitar center last night and decided to pull the trigger. If I didn't like it, I was assured it can be returned.
So I was in the process of actually paying for it when an error popped up on the screen, guy said that usually means it has been sold but the system hasn't logged the sale yet. He called the store and sure enough, it was gone.

So still in the market, seems like everything close to the $1K mark are "travel/compact" guitars, I think I'd rather pony up a bit more to get a fuller sounding instrument, travel is not a factor for me.
Still considering a Rainsong, looked at Journey OF660 . Was considering the startup Koss but not so sure I like the wood neck, plus reviews are pretty sparse being as it is barely on the market yet.
Have looked at Emerald. Lefties are tough to come by, if I don't end up splurging $1.5K will probably wait for another used one to come alondg, might be a long wait.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:06 PM

Good luck with your search and wait. CF guitars are relatively rare by comparison to wood, and lefties even more so. The one time I've ever seen a Rainsong under $1K, I jumped right on it and bought it for a friend. I've never seen even a used CA Cargo listed for much under $900.

Emerald may be your best bet. They are good with custom orders. Or talk to Ted at LA Guitar Sales. The new CH series of Rainsong's start at $1350 w/o electronics, and (I think) can be ordered left handed.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:18 PM

I'll need luck.
This is usually the only time of year I have $2K to play around with, won't last long.
Plus I have a hard time plonking down that kind of $$ without trying out first, so may not ever happen.
I'll keep looking used though, so long as its not a cutout doesn't even necessarily have to be a bonafide lefty, its not like I haven't flipped a righty and restrung before.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber