The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-06-2020, 01:48 PM

Yes I wish there was a way to blend the models in or not. But...they are pretty subtle compared to images like the Aura has. I think the Zoom models are kind of predetermined EQs based on the different body types. More like "acoustic resonance" of the Boss pedals. I am able to get a pretty nice sound with the AC3 and my J45 with an Anthem pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I have two complaints about the Zoom AC-3:

1) you can’t bypass the mic modeling. I use dual mic/pickup systems in my acoustic guitars and that plus the modeling is too much.

2) You can’t blend the modeling and straight pickup sound. I really like the sound of blending a little real or modeled mic in with a pickup. Having a bit of pickup in with the mic gives the sound more clarity. With the AC-3, you are stuck having to choose a model and having that model full on.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:14 PM

This video was enough for me to purchase one.
Still haven't used it much, but I haven't had much time for that recently.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 05-07-2020, 08:36 AM

It's a great all in one pedal, but like everything has some drawbacks.
If there was a way to blend is as much of the models as you desired, it would be almost perfect.
The Fishman Tonedeq is almost perfect, but it doesn't have any "Acoustic resonance" type of feature.

For my needs I want one pedal that gives me these things for multiple guitars:

reverb
chorus
delay
compression
some modeling or acoustic resonance or something to tame the quack
without too much knob fiddling
a simple EQ (can never figure out parametrics)
low pass filter is nice
boost
tuner

There's really not too many pedal that do this in a all in one package. Also I prefer knobs to menu driven systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
This video was enough for me to purchase one.
Still haven't used it much, but I haven't had much time for that recently.

Last edited by JackB1; 05-07-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-17-2023, 07:28 AM

Just got an AC-3 yesterday. My other option was the T-Rex Soulmate, but the price is just too much for me and some customer reviews pointed out some elements that drew me off (looper unusability, among others).

As with most if not all gear I've come across for either guitars, basses or keyboards, its a matter of compromise, at least in the price range I'm navigating. So this is my compromise.

My primary need was for something providing compression, chorus and reverb all in the same box, which this one does. Bonus is EQ, mega-bonus is the R/L outputs. Tuner is good enough to kick out the Boss TU-3. I'm still keeping a Boss GE-7 though, to use with the 12 string, which has a not-so-good pick-up/preamp system. I don't play with the knobs much and keep settings same for all guitars. The target guitar knob is off and the source is always set on dreadnought. Effects are good enough for me, the mix knobs usually set around 10 oc.

Drawback I'm seeing: the sound is not as natural as I'd like. Not counting the Gibson (that one would sound great through a '40s transistor radio), the basic sound comes out as more processed than the TC PlayAcoustic I'd been using for the last year. I'm still keeping the TC as a vocal processor, but didn't like the effects for guitar, especially compression. And scrolling through the menus.... *sigh*.

Main acoustics are currently 2016 Gibson J-200 Standard, Martin X Series GPC-X2E and Epiphone 12 string SJ. I also sometimes use my old '77 Ibanez Concord outfitted with a SD Woody and a Simon & Patrick Amber Trail mini-jumbo.
Boss AD-10 (on trial)
Old 11-17-2023, 07:53 AM

We’ve had some discussion on this. Apparently, there’s no signal path which avoids going through a modeling feature.

The less expensive Zoom A1-Four lets you choose a signal path which doesn’t include modeling. (In my experience, the A1-Four modeling is counterproductive with the Baggs Lyric, the Baggs iBeam and the Rare Earth Blend mic. It’s helpful with USTs and soundhole mags.)

The A1-Four provides better EQ options PLUS a basic manually adjustable three band EQ in the PLAY mode.

The downside of the A1-Four is a steep learning curve for non tech nerds like myself. The AC-3 was designed to be more user friendly.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:53 PM

Default Zoom AC2 works for me

I have the AC2 and it works well with my three guitars, all of which have different pickups. My Seagull Performer has the Q1 Godin UST and on board preamp. My Larrivee has a Fishman Sonitone and my Journey travel guitar (wood) has the Journeytek. I use these guitars for different purposes.

The AC2 models are, indeed, subtle and bring back just enough body res to suit me. There is a great piezo matching switch that works on quack. The rest is gravy, tuner, boost, mute, three band eq, and anti feedback. Runs on a/c or batteries. Also very quiet. Maybe not for everyone but suits my purpose well.

2015 Larrivee OM40 WL
2015 Seagull Performer Mini Jumbo Q1T
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Yamaha DBR10 powered speakers
Behringer XR12 digital mixer
M Audio Bass Traveller headamps with Shure IEM's
Old 11-18-2023, 09:56 AM

Not sure how much sense that makes, but the source guitar that seems more "transparent" is the nylon patch. At least I'm getting good sounds for the Gibson, Martin and Concord (Woody Magnetic pickup).
Boss AD-10 (on trial)
Old 11-18-2023, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMike62 View Post
Not sure how much sense that makes, but the source guitar that seems more "transparent" is the nylon patch. At least I'm getting good sounds for the Gibson, Martin and Concord (Woody Magnetic pickup).
This is curious to me. In the case of my Zoom A1-Four, the nylon string model happens to be the model which yields the biggest improvement. Perhaps that’s because my nylon stringer is equipped with a Baggs Hex system which is very string oriented. Unfortunately, I have to preamp the passive Hex system with another preamp before feeding the signal to the A1-Four. The A1-Four’s input impedance of 470Kohms is WAY too low to get a full signal from the passive Hex.
Old 11-18-2023, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
This is curious to me (...)
Yup, 'twas to me as well. I did say the most transparent, which is probably not the best way to describe it. But it gives out decent sounds, to me my ears.

I dropped in my local store, one the reps recently acquired a Martin D-40 (I think) he wanted to show me. And by pure luck, there sat in the rental section a Boss AD-10. I rented it for a month, but right out of the box, my guitars sound sensibly more natural through it. Not 100% transparent, but much closer than the Zoom. Which is not to say the Zoom is useless, au contraire, it still checks a lot of boxes.
Boss AD-10 (on trial)
Old 11-18-2023, 09:35 PM

The Zoom G1X 4 was my first unit.

Next was the Zoom AC 3

Then the Fishman ToneDEQ

Finally what I am now using a Fishman Platinum Pro with a few other pedals.

While I liked the Zoom AC 3, I had no need for the guitar modulations. Was limited as to the number of effects that could be used at one time.

The ToneDEQ would be my pick at the price point if you wanted one unit to do several things but not everything. Limited on effects and no tuner.

The Platinum Pro would also be a good stand alone unit at the price point IF you didn't want any effects.

I pair my Platinum pro with a couple of other effects pedals. I like to be able to dial in the specific effect.

I think the two Fishman Products have a lot cleaner/natural sound than the AC3. The AC3 seemed to add a sound dimension that was not as clear or natural as the Fishman's. I usually ran the AC 3 on nylon for the best sound I could get out of it.

The G1X 4 was just way too much overkill with back and forth with the computer--adding and subtracting patches and effects---not interested in amp sims and a lot of the other features it does offer.

There is the Tech 21 Acoustic Fly Rig of which I have no experience.

Of course then one can pay more money for something like the TRex Soulmate.

I know I have spent much more money figuring out what I wanted for my playing than I would have spent on something like the TREX--which has a lot of what I have in separate pedals---but not everything.

Last edited by mjh42; 11-18-2023 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-20-2023, 09:42 AM

I tried most of these units and settled on the Tech 21 Flyrig. I think it has the best Pros vs Cons ratio of them all, with the Zoom AC3 second.
Old 11-20-2023, 11:06 AM

I've had my AC 3 for about 6 months now. Using it in our contemporary service at church in our fellowship hall. Old wooden stage is quite lively. I love it. I wanted something I could control separate from our sound board. I've been running it through my Fender Acoustic 40 amp (used as a stage monitor) then to the sound board. It took quite a bit of fiddling to balance out the tones I wanted to hear. It doesn't actually sound all that great through the amp alone. But I messed around enough that I finally got it dialed in and am quite happy with it. I leave it at church, so I have not really learned what all it's capable of. This next week, I'm accompanying a vocalist in our main sanctuary and I'm planning to move it over and run it straight through the sound board. I have high expectations. This ticked all the boxes of tuner, chorus and reverb for me at a price I was able to spend. I'm keeping it, but looking into a other options. I'm a mediocre player but can get by for our worship purposes. I'm switching between my Guild Jumbo 6 and 12 strings and my Guild dreadnought and it seems to be working for now. My opinion, it was money well spent.
Martin DM16
Epi Sheraton
Gretsch G2410TG
Gretsch Electromatic 12
Old 11-22-2023, 07:01 AM

I finally gave in (or up) and flipped it after a week.

Lots of things to love on this unit: stereo outputs, the one-knob compressor works great, effects are very good if you're ok using 1 at a time + reverb, EQ makes a real difference when you tweak it and the tuner is awesome. Pick-up switch works well enough.

Mega-downside for me was the inability to bypass completely the modelling section. I find the option of having different sounds interesting and I might've used 1 or 2 (12 str, nylon), but I was not happy with the way my Gibson J-200 Standard came out of any of them and that pretty much sealed the AC-3s fate. If it can't play with my big boy... I did manage to make it sound good on the nylon patch with some tweaking, but it still sounded a little too processed to my ears. Would've definitely kept the AC-3 if bypassing was an option. I've been using Zoom stuff for years and have the L-12 console and a multistomp on my bass board.

Sold it in 24 hrs after receiving a few messages about it. The purchaser tried it through his Yamaha acoustic (dreadnaught, pickup with no knobs, not sure exactly what model) and it sounded absolutely fantastic, so it's a happy deal for all.
Boss AD-10 (on trial)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification