The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-19-2023, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

I wish they had this one out a couple of years ago when I was looking for a small amp for my workshop. I bought a LB Mini instead and it works just fine. I have an LB Artist that I use sometimes for small venues but most of the time I’m using my Bose L1 Pro8 or my S1 Pro. I think there is a niche for this but it would be better if it was priced south of $250.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-19-2023, 01:34 PM

I’m not sure why anyone would need an acoustic amp for home practice. An acoustic guitar is a self-amplifying device as far as I’m aware, and none sound as nice plugged in as they do au naturel. I can see why some would want to plug in to run pedals etc but an amp with a 5” driver is going to freak out with anything significant in the way of effects in front of it. I’m pretty sure a Mini would be a better bet in every way for amplified practice.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 11-19-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
I’m not sure why anyone would need an acoustic amp for home practice.
The Yamaha silent guitar maybe?
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-19-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinder View Post
I’m not sure why anyone would need an acoustic amp for home practice. An acoustic guitar is a self-amplifying device as far as I’m aware, and none sound as nice plugged in as they do au naturel. I can see why some would want to plug in to run pedals etc but an amp with a 5” driver is going to freak out with anything significant in the way of effects in front of it. I’m pretty sure a Mini would be a better bet in every way for amplified practice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
The Yamaha silent guitar maybe?
I have a semi-chambered bodied instrument that has some acoustic volume but not much for a great practice session so it’s better plugged in.

The balanced line out on my Everse 8 is invaluable, not just for my own stage volume but the EV QuickSmart app has extensive mixing capabilities and effects. This Fishman has basic high mid low reverb chorus and is only 40 watts so, meh. I do wish my EV had a headphone jack for self monitoring at home though. Dang, can’t have it all.
Old 11-19-2023, 04:12 PM

Lots of bedroom/living room/basement players out there can't turn it up. No go without the portability of an internal battery.

A Roland AC 33 can be battery powered two 15 watt speakers--specs say 10 watt with batteries.

A pound and uew ounces more.

It is priced a uew hundred more.

Something happened to my 6th letter?? Maybe new keyboard time.
Old 11-19-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
For those of us gigging regularly this may indeed look like a 'swing and a miss' as noted above. However, we see lots of threads on the AGF about 'looking for an inexpensive acoustic amp to use at home'. This seems to fit the bill for that. I would add that for a gig, the post mix line out is low impedance that could easily be sent to to a powered speaker or the board of a house PA. A lightweight small amp that can function for a little stage volume that the player controls seems worthwhile. That said, I'm sticking with my LB Artist!
I have an LB Artist

and Fender Acoustasonic JR.

Both fine amps...

for in home stuff the Fender is really a nice amp

for gig/work, the Fishman rules the day

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-20-2023, 07:50 AM

Not sure I really understand this one. The LB Mini is already the perfect practice amp and on the used market, it goes for the same price as this new Micro version. At least with the Mini, you have the option to gig it. I guess you could technically use the Micro live but I even find the Mini to be a bit underpowered. I often wish I had gone the next size up.
Old 11-20-2023, 08:55 AM

Even if the Micro sounded OK, the deal killer for me would be the 24vdc/2.5a power adapter that it powers it (suspect something of a large power brick like used for a laptop(?)) . If the amp had a battery and the power adapter also charged it, the adapter 'might' be acceptable, but to have to lug around a 'brick' to just power the amp rather than a standard IEC AC power cord just adds to what one needs to carry, never mind if the power adapter should need to be replaced in the future and hoping they are available easily.
Old 11-23-2023, 08:54 AM

I can see possibly using it as stage monitor and a DI out, for guitar, to a PA mixer or powered speaker, but could it possibly serve as a stage monitor for bass vocals that occasionally dip below 60Hz?

Teja demoed it with drop D tuning, but the D2 pitch is 73.4Hz.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification