The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-29-2004, 12:27 PM

Default Sweet Harmony Tour

Had to write in response of the negative comments on Unofficial Martin Guitar forum. Went to see Sweet Harmony Tour this past Thursday at Meadowbrook in Detroit. Unlike comments I read Emmylou seemded in good voice and guitar work was great even on the Gibsons she played. Buddy Miller is an exceptional guitarist no doubt about it. Gillian Welch (first time I saw her) was outstanding, what a great songwriter and performer. Cant say enough good things about David Rawlings. Didnt know it was possible to play an acoustic that way. Patti Griffin also puts on an exceptional show. It might be too late to catch the shows, but recommend all of them even solo. Patrick
Old 08-29-2004, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingskunk
Had to write in response of the negative comments on Unofficial Martin Guitar forum.
I just gotta' wonder, though: wouldn't this post have been more appropriate on the UGMF?

Nice to hear you went to a good show, but a "response to negative comments on the UGMF" accomplishes little here.

I'm not judgin', I'm just sayin'...

Steve
Old 08-30-2004, 03:07 AM

I hadn't seen or heard Gillian Welch until this tour passed thru here a week or so ago, she's the real deal. Rawlings was also great playing with her.

www.gillianwelch.com

-=Tim=-
Old 08-30-2004, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimB
I hadn't seen or heard Gillian Welch until this tour passed thru here a week or so ago, she's the real deal. Rawlings was also great playing with her.
Absolutely, and of course neither of them uses a pickup onstage - they play into mikes, which is part of the magic. I'm always reminded of that when people on this forum go on and on about which pickup performance; nothing beats miking up a guitar.

I like the way the starter of this thread said Emmylou was good "even when playing Gibsons". I mean, it's not as though Gibsons somehow have a negative effect on a performance.

Richard
Old 08-30-2004, 03:17 PM

Yes I did post a response on the Martin Forum, however since I post more here just wanted to state my humble opinion. I know that many of us hang out on other forums. Also the Gibson thing was a joke. I have read too much about the poor quality of many of them. I must say though that have played several wonderful ones and love look of em especially maple jumbos(even with the mustache bridge).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification