The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-28-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
I can find no reference to John Christopher Williams being involved in the score for "Schindler's List".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schindl...8soundtrack%29
He wasnt, He recorded them especially for his cd...i think it was a 2 cd collection .
Old 01-28-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
I can find no reference to John Christopher Williams being involved in the score for "Schindler's List".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schindl...8soundtrack%29
Hello Red_Label (Is your moniker anything like Johnny Walker Red-Label?)
I remember going to the cinema to see the movie (really liked the film despite the fact that it was hard to watch) and I'm sure I would have noticed had there been classical guitar in the film score. American composer/conductor John Williams did write at least some of the songs, did he not? If I'm not mistaken this is the same composer who wrote the Star Wars scores - no?
Old 01-28-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Hey Paikon,
You've got the wrong John Williams re: The Mission and Schindler's List. Those film scores were recorded under the baton of the American conductor/composer John Williams, not the Australian guitar virtuoso John Williams. It is my understanding that between threats and bad-mouthing from Segovia, several European and British impresarios were discouraged from hiring Barrios. That's as much as I'm prepared to say on that subject.
As to the Chaconne from Violin Partita no.2 (BWV 1004) your right that it's just my opinion, but then again I'd rather hear what Bach actually wrote than some romantic piano players impressions.
Are you saying that Segovia's transcription of the Chaccone plays the wrong notes,because Bach gave you very little else ?
Old 01-28-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Bill View Post
Are you saying that Segovia's transcription of the Chaccone plays the wrong notes,because Bach gave you very little else ?
Hey Bill,
Segovia's version is based on the piano arrangement by Ferruccio Busoni. Given that it's an arrangement rather than a transcription, wrong notes would be a misnomer. Extra notes is a better description and, to my ears at least, excess of notes is the best description. I will concede that this is all a matter of taste and personal preference.
On another note, it takes a real man to own up to his mistakes. Therefore I owe Paikon an apology. John Williams, the guitar virtuoso, did indeed record CDs which include guitar arrangements of music from The Mission, Schindler's List and and The Godfather. So Paikon, please accept my humble apology.
For everyone else here's a link to John Williams', the guitarist, discography.
http://plum.cream.org/williams/records.htm
Old 01-28-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Hey Bill,
Segovia's version is based on the piano arrangement by Ferruccio Busoni. Given that it's an arrangement rather than a transcription, wrong notes would be a misnomer. Extra notes is a better description and, to my ears at least, excess of notes is the best description. I will concede that this is all a matter of taste and personal preference.
On another note, it takes a real man to own up to his mistakes. Therefore I owe Paikon an apology. John Williams, the guitar virtuoso, did indeed record CDs which include guitar arrangements of music from The Mission, Schindler's List and and The Godfather. So Paikon, please accept my humble apology.
For everyone else here's a link to John Williams', the guitarist, discography.
http://plum.cream.org/williams/records.htm
Its still an astonishing piece of music whatever its played on,Brahms said that if he had conceived it let alone composed it he would have gone insane with pleasure,and that sad part is in the major key,it doesn't get ant better than this!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:30 PM

No need for apology Trevor.

As for arrangements and transcriptions most of the time we cut notes sometimes we add or break the melody or voice. It is common.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:41 PM

Default You're so right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portland Bill View Post
Its still an astonishing piece of music whatever its played on,Brahms said that if he had conceived it let alone composed it he would have gone insane with pleasure,and that sad part is in the major key,it doesn't get ant better than this!
How many ways can one get from I to V? Grab a copy of the Chaconne in D minor and count them. J.S. sure covered the ground magnificently. Way back in my college days I wrote an essay claiming that the Chaconne could be considered a trio sonata for one player. The prof bought it after some initial scepticism. So, like you Bill, I'm a huge fan, particularly of the Chaconne from BWV 1004 but really of everything J.S. penned.
BTW - I've started a new thread asking folks here how to isolate parts of a quote to post in a response. If you know perhaps you wouldn't mind dropping into that thread with your input. I'm real dinosaur when it comes to all things computer (lol).
Thanks.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:48 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xhCdyQ_8Wg
Old 01-28-2014, 06:54 PM

Thanks, Bill, for sharing the link to Heifetz' phenomenal performance of the Bach D minor Chaconne. Although a bit quicker than I'm used to, it was, nevertheless, 12 minutes and 56 seconds of bliss. Much appreciated!
Old 01-29-2014, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNEnzNHTkd8
Old 01-29-2014, 10:46 AM

Another fine rendering of the Chaconne from J.S.Bach's Violin Partita No. 2 by John Feeley. Would have been nice to get a few more details in the video description i.e. maker and model of the guitar, mic used etc.
Small quibble. Great playing!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:22 AM

Great version by John,guitar is Mathias Dammann.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:05 PM

I have not read all of the posts, so if I'm repeating something, my apologies. Christopher Parkening also experienced Segovia's snobbishness when CR was learning a piece under Segovia's instruction. Segovia got very angry when CR changed the fingering and demanded that his student use his (Segovia's) fingering. Different people have different anatomies and different ideas -- I say do what works best for you.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidika View Post
I have not read all of the posts, so if I'm repeating something, my apologies. Christopher Parkening also experienced Segovia's snobbishness when CR was learning a piece under Segovia's instruction. Segovia got very angry when CR changed the fingering and demanded that his student use his (Segovia's) fingering. Different people have different anatomies and different ideas -- I say do what works best for you.
So if you gonna do whatever you want why go to an instructor?
Old 01-30-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paikon View Post
So if you gonna do whatever you want why go to an instructor?
Maybe we need to re-think how instructors are instructing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical