The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-25-2018, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I use a light gauge set but with .013 .017 gauges for the first and second strings. Some folks do that and also use a .056 for the sixth string.
That's the same as a GHS True Medium set, or a D'Addario DADGAD set. The GHS True Medium sets I'm using have Medium 1st, 2nd and 6th strings, and Light 3rd, 4th and 5th - 13, 17, 24w, 32, 42, 56 gauges.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 04-25-2018, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I’ve had my Avalon set up for DADGAD, and use mixed sets (DADGAD SETS) in the main.

Action at 5/64 low E and neck almost flat with no buzz.
Pretty much what my Avalon is at too. I too stipulated I wanted it set up for DADGAD with the strings I had on it, which, since its first string change, have been the D'Addario DADGAD set. I did further tweak the truss rod slightly myself to allow for C tunings as, as my tech said, he tends to set things very low.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:02 PM

Default Strings for DADGAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooly View Post
For those that have a dedicated guitar for DADGAD tuning, what gage strings are you using? Also, where is your relief and string height set at?

I have tried to use 11's which may be to light. My string height is at 3/32 on low E and 2/32 on high E but even with a lot of relief, I'm still getting a slight buzz on the B and E strings on the higher frets.

Any ideas?
I've never needed to change the gauge of strings for DADGAD or any other tuning that I've used...including DADEAD, DADDAD, or any open tuning. This is on short scale (24.9) guitars and even my CA Cargo (24.75). I use various types of lights (12-53. I fingerpick with a fairly heavy thumb pick and my nails and dig in at times......no problem.

I'm thinking that 11's would be too light especially if you're accustomed to low action. As others have suggested, I would experiment with other sets and even custom gauges until you get it right. Also, how long has it been since your guitar had a good setup? Perhaps you need a fret dress?
Old 04-25-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisser View Post
Also, how long has it been since your guitar had a good setup? Perhaps you need a fret dress?
Fret dressing was just done 3 weeks ago because of a buzzing problem so we can eliminate that.

I did not know there was such a thing as true mediums or strings for DADGAD. That's what I am going to try. I like the 11's but just too floppy for DADGAD. At least on my guitar. Maybe I can flatten out the neck a bit more then.

Thanks for the replies. Amazing what one can learn from this forum.
Alvarez AF60SHB
Seagull Concert Hall Mahogany
Harmony H1215. 1953
An 80 year old Kay (approx)
Epiphone ES-339
Epiphone Les Paul 50's Standard
3 home built Strat's
Old 04-25-2018, 05:29 PM

I tuned my Santa Cruz to DADGAD in 1983. Since then I have used Medium Light, Light, and Medium by DAddario, Elixir, John Pearse, RotoSound, Ernie Ball, GHS, Adamas, and SCGC Tension Strings.

When I played solo gigs I preferred Elixir light gauge.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

I just tune down whatever strings are on the guitar. If I’m going lower than DADGAD I may change lights to mediums. Of course I might not know what I’m missing but I can’t say I’ve had a problem and it’s been many years now.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 04-26-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
GHS True Mediums are similar gauges to EJ24s and, to my ears, have a warmer, sweeter tone.
Which of the DADGAD/True medium sets would you guys say have the brightest tone/punchiest clarity on the wound strings? The string sets I know about are (but if I'm missing let me know):

D'Addario
GHS
John Pearse
Newtone Heritage
Wyres Pierre Bensusan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion