The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-01-2019, 08:13 PM

Default F1 - end of season silly talk!

- Lewis Hamilton wants to finish his career driving for Ferrari.
- Mercedes want Max Verstappen to take his seat if he goes.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 12-01-2019, 08:16 PM

I've been an F1 fan since the late 1960's but it's getting harder and harder to follow.
Too much money. Too much technology. The car is more important than the driver. Too many races in too many countries that are oppressive and miserable places but they do it for the money.
It's getting harder to care anymore. But I'm still trying ...
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro
G&L Tribute Fallout
Squier 50's Classic Vibe Telecaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Old 12-01-2019, 08:30 PM

I tend to agree with you Lockback, but after the Brazilian race - you couldn't want much more than that I think.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:11 AM

Ferrari say Lewis has always appreciated Ferrari and Lewis say that's the first compliment they have paid him in all his 13 years in F1.

Just about sums Ferrari up now they might have a sniff at his services. If the 'F' in F1 stood for 'Fickle', Ferrari would be champions every year.

I think he probably will go to them and it would be good to see Max in the Merc. Would also like to see Ricciado in the Merc and see his smile stretch even further.

YouTube
Old 12-02-2019, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

I would be VERY disappointed with Hamilton if he even considered driving for those cry-babies in Red.

Vettel should be put out to pasture and Max should drive for Ferrari.

Move The Hulk to Max's spot.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 12-02-2019, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
I've been an F1 fan since the late 1960's but it's getting harder and harder to follow.
Too much money. Too much technology. The car is more important than the driver. Too many races in too many countries that are oppressive and miserable places but they do it for the money.
It's getting harder to care anymore. But I'm still trying ...
Hi Lockback,

I don't understand what is hard to follow - could you explain?

For me, the coverage and info provided by the F1 website and particularly the Sky F1 team are outstanding.

Certainly the cars are more important - because the teams build cars, but many teams also "raise" the drivers from childhood for this job.

Certainly the technology is very important and this is where most of the technology that filters down to our road cars comes from.

I'd agree that, as Lewis Hamilton said last weekend, upcoming drivers can no longer come from humble beginnings as he did, as they need to be from rich families to buy their training and first drives, working up from karting to F3, F2, and maybe, just maybe F1.

I don't understand why you say that there are too many races or your comments about the countries - F1 is an International sport.
F1 IS a business and sadly has been bought from the UK by a US business now - adding more theatrics and "razzmatazz", but there will be 22 races in 22 countries next year and surely that has to be good for world communication.
This is the calendar and locations for 2020.

15 March -- Melbourne --- Australia
22 March -- Sakhir --- Bahrain
5 April --- Hanoi --- Vietnam
19 April --- Shanghai --- China
3 May --- Zandvoort --- Netherlands
10 May --- Barcelona --- Spain
24 May --- Monaco --- Monaco
7 June --- Baku --- Azerbaijan
14 June --- Montreal --- Canada
28 June --- Le Castellet --- France
5 July --- Spielberg --- Austria
19 July --- Silverstone --- Great Britain
2 August --- Budapest --- Hungary
30 August --- Spa --- Belgium
6 September --- Monza --- Italy
20 September --- Singapore --- Singapore
27 September --- Sochi --- Russia
11 October --- Suzuka --- Japan
25 October --- Austin --- USA
1 November - Mexico City --- Mexico
15 November -- Sao Paulo --- Brazil
29 November --- Abu Dhabi --- UAE

Miserable? Oppressive? I see really beautiful and exciting venues.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 12-02-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi Lockback,

I don't understand what is hard to follow - could you explain?

For me, the coverage and info provided by the F1 website and particularly the Sky F1 team are outstanding.

Certainly the cars are more important - because the teams build cars, but many teams also "raise" the drivers from childhood for this job.

Certainly the technology is very important and this is where most of the technology that filters down to our road cars comes from.

I'd agree that, as Lewis Hamilton said last weekend, upcoming drivers can no longer come from humble beginnings as he did, as they need to be from rich families to buy their training and first drives, working up from karting to F3, F2, and maybe, just maybe F1.

I don't understand why you say that there are too many races or your comments about the countries - F1 is an International sport.
F1 IS a business and sadly has been bought from the UK by a US business now - adding more theatrics and "razzmatazz", but there will be 22 races in 22 countries next year and surely that has to be good for world communication.
This is the calendar and locations for 2020.

15 March -- Melbourne --- Australia
22 March -- Sakhir --- Bahrain
5 April --- Hanoi --- Vietnam
19 April --- Shanghai --- China
3 May --- Zandvoort --- Netherlands
10 May --- Barcelona --- Spain
24 May --- Monaco --- Monaco
7 June --- Baku --- Azerbaijan
14 June --- Montreal --- Canada
28 June --- Le Castellet --- France
5 July --- Spielberg --- Austria
19 July --- Silverstone --- Great Britain
2 August --- Budapest --- Hungary
30 August --- Spa --- Belgium
6 September --- Monza --- Italy
20 September --- Singapore --- Singapore
27 September --- Sochi --- Russia
11 October --- Suzuka --- Japan
25 October --- Austin --- USA
1 November - Mexico City --- Mexico
15 November -- Sao Paulo --- Brazil
29 November --- Abu Dhabi --- UAE

Miserable? Oppressive? I see really beautiful and exciting venues.
The racing has simply gotten too predictable: Mercedes, maybe Ferrari, maybe Red Bull occasionally ... these are the only teams who can win. While I appreciate Hamilton's greatness, seeing him win week after week after week for years has gotten tedious. I did enjoy seeing LeClerc's emergence as well as Verstappen's and there are a lot of good young drivers in the pipeline but the limited number of good rides out there will dampen many of their careers.
The budgets for F1 are ridiculous, as is the engine technology, particularly with the hybrid energy recuperation stuff, which I don't find very interesting or necessary. I'm old school; give me the wail of a Ferrari V-12 howling down the Monza straight any time.
Sorry. I don't mean to step on the thread. I'm glad you enjoy F1 and hope you continue to. I just find it too predictable and too expensive for small teams to compete in (remember Hesketh and James Hunt years ago?).
As for the politics of several of the nations, I'll sidestep that one.
Enjoy!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro
G&L Tribute Fallout
Squier 50's Classic Vibe Telecaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Old 12-02-2019, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Hi lockback,

Don't you think it has always been one or two leading teams, and "the rest"?

I don't personally have a favorite team, and it certainly has been Mercedes vs Ferrari for many years - but isn't it nice when they do something silly (as both have at one or more points this year), and someone else gets a look in.

Young Max has grown in maturity considerable in the last year, and if I root (sp?) for anyone -it's for him - he's the giant killer presently.

The excitement in yesterday's race was further down line with Lotus and Mclaren.

Even though the championships had been resolved the other teams are frantically fighting for points because - apart from the prestige - their points mean funding share from the FIA.

Yes, it's all about money - it is probably the most expensive sport in the world but, like I already said it is a world sport.

I just wonder how much longer Williams will hold out. I suspect that the lovely Claire is just keeping the team going for her elderly Dad.

Come 2021 when all the rules change the whole board game is turned upside down and it is feasible that the teams currently in the middle cold suddenly be beating the Red and the silver.

Lewis is now the oldest driver apart from Kimi, and there are a lot of young Turks banging on the door.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Quite right. I think a lot of people forget that F1 is a manufacturer's competition to see who can build the best car. The manufacturer's championship is far more important to the teams than the driver's championship. The teams employ the driver, not the other way round.

Quote:
A friend of mine spent all his spare time (and money) touring his son on the go kart circuit just like Lewis's dad. His son was good but they just couldn't afford to continue.

They always said you can make a small fortune out of motor racing - you just start off with a big one.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic