The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

Bump it up.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:31 AM

OK, it’s time that I said a few words ( well, probably more ) about this Michael Keller OM cutaway. I was the one and only owner of this guitar before I passed it on to Rob. I bought it from Paul Heumiller at Dream Guitars in 2007. Paul had just come back from a Luthier’s festival in Florida and I happened to be at Dream Guitars the Monday morning after he had just gotten back from the weekend. He brought 7 or 8 guitars out that he had picked up at the festival to have me try out. I played 3 or 4 and then he brought out this guitar and I played it a bit, then more, and after about 45 minutes of playing in standard as well as open tunings, I said I’ll take it. I wasn’t looking for another guitar. I was dropping off a guitar to have some work done on it. It just played so beautifully and easily and sounded amazing. Really amazing. Strong trebles, mids AND lows. Just gorgeous. And the workmanship was exceptional. Paul told me that he felt that the first person who played that guitar would buy it. And he was right! So, after owning and enjoying it for a several months or maybe a year, I don’t remember, I decided to call Michael Keller to tell him how much I loved the guitar. He was awesome to talk with. He’s been building guitars for 40+ years, never advertises in any way, has always sold all his guitars by word of mouth. All commissions. He has been good friends with Jim Olson for many many years, and in fact turned Jim on to using cedar tops! That’s years ago. Anyway, Michael told me that this guitar was made with wild East Indian Rosewood, not the farmed kind that is used by everyone else. Years ago, he and Jim Olson had found a stash of wild EIR and had split it between them. He said that the wild EIR taptone reminded him more of Brazilian than the farmed EIR. Also, Michael said that every piece of wood in this guitar is quatersawn, even the braces. It is a very beautiful guitar, but even more beautiful is the sound. It is special. I have been a small collector of high end acoustics for 12-13 years. I’ve had Petros, Tippin, Martins ( even a 1950 D28), Claxton, Traphagan, Circa, Simon Fay, Kevin Ryan, Judy Threet, and more. Last year I moved to the Big Island of Hawaii, and I knew how hard it was going to be to keep all my guitars properly humidified in the jungle humidity ( which I did before I moved) so I made the hard choice to sell all but one of my guitars. I ended up keeping my Claxton EM, Braz/German. Rob had heard my Keller and had been drawn to it, so it went to him. Over all the years with all the guitars I had bought and sold, I never sold the Keller. It was and is special. I would still own it if my wife and I hadn’t moved to Hawaii. Over the years, I spent a Lot of time at Dream Guitars ( I lived an hour away) and played a LOT of guitars, and I will honestly say that every time I would visit and play most of the guitars in the shop, there would usually be only a couple or so that were as nice sounding and playing to my hands and ears as this Keller. All price ranges. So, that’s my story. I know that whoever buys this guitar from Rob will be thrilled when receive it and play it.

Last edited by Aculadd; 11-28-2019 at 02:49 AM.
Old 11-28-2019, 01:49 PM

I commissioned a maple/spruce cutaway from Mike Keller back in 1995... still have it and it’ll stay with me. If I hade the extra scratch, I’d be all over this. Someone please buy this and put me out of my misery:-)
‘81 Yamaha FG-335II
Old 11-29-2019, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aculadd View Post
OK, it’s time that I said a few words ( well, probably more ) about this Michael Keller OM cutaway. I was the one and only owner of this guitar before I passed it on to Rob. I bought it from Paul Heumiller at Dream Guitars in 2007. Paul had just come back from a Luthier’s festival in Florida and I happened to be at Dream Guitars the Monday morning after he had just gotten back from the weekend. He brought 7 or 8 guitars out that he had picked up at the festival to have me try out. I played 3 or 4 and then he brought out this guitar and I played it a bit, then more, and after about 45 minutes of playing in standard as well as open tunings, I said I’ll take it. I wasn’t looking for another guitar. I was dropping off a guitar to have some work done on it. It just played so beautifully and easily and sounded amazing. Really amazing. Strong trebles, mids AND lows. Just gorgeous. And the workmanship was exceptional. Paul told me that he felt that the first person who played that guitar would buy it. And he was right! So, after owning and enjoying it for a several months or maybe a year, I don’t remember, I decided to call Michael Keller to tell him how much I loved the guitar. He was awesome to talk with. He’s been building guitars for 40+ years, never advertises in any way, has always sold all his guitars by word of mouth. All commissions. He has been good friends with Jim Olson for many many years, and in fact turned Jim on to using cedar tops! That’s years ago. Anyway, Michael told me that this guitar was made with wild East Indian Rosewood, not the farmed kind that is used by everyone else. Years ago, he and Jim Olson had found a stash of wild EIR and had split it between them. He said that the wild EIR taptone reminded him more of Brazilian than the farmed EIR. Also, Michael said that every piece of wood in this guitar is quatersawn, even the braces. It is a very beautiful guitar, but even more beautiful is the sound. It is special. I have been a small collector of high end acoustics for 12-13 years. I’ve had Petros, Tippin, Martins ( even a 1950 D28), Claxton, Traphagan, Circa, Simon Fay, Kevin Ryan, Judy Threet, and more. Last year I moved to the Big Island of Hawaii, and I knew how hard it was going to be to keep all my guitars properly humidified in the jungle humidity ( which I did before I moved) so I made the hard choice to sell all but one of my guitars. I ended up keeping my Claxton EM, Braz/German. Rob had heard my Keller and had been drawn to it, so it went to him. Over all the years with all the guitars I had bought and sold, I never sold the Keller. It was and is special. I would still own it if my wife and I hadn’t moved to Hawaii. Over the years, I spent a Lot of time at Dream Guitars ( I lived an hour away) and played a LOT of guitars, and I will honestly say that every time I would visit and play most of the guitars in the shop, there would usually be only a couple or so that were as nice sounding and playing to my hands and ears as this Keller. All price ranges. So, that’s my story. I know that whoever buys this guitar from Rob will be thrilled when receive it and play it.
Thanks very much Bruce for the great summary of this very special guitar. If I were not downsizing in a big way, this one would be with me to the end.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Default SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsand View Post
I commissioned a maple/spruce cutaway from Mike Keller back in 1995... still have it and it’ll stay with me. If I hade the extra scratch, I’d be all over this. Someone please buy this and put me out of my misery:-)
Thanks sjsand. An old AGF friend has bought this baby and it is on its way to a new home.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars