The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-02-2018, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Sorry to hear the news. Hopefully, this negative change creates some new opportunities for you.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:05 AM

Sorry to hear about your personal double whammy, AE.

I have gone through similar experiences (ending a relationship, and then being fired or laid off from a job within a few weeks of making those relationship decisions). Very unpleasant. AND, profoundly transformative. Strong medicine for your life.

Wishing you the very best, and praying that you find the many moments of consolation amid the chaos and upset.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:37 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
As if I am not going through enough this year, I just got fired from my job today. Apparently my work performance does not meet their high standards.
This year has been a total nightmare for me thus far.
Another challenge for you to overcome. You'll survive! And so it goes...
Old 05-03-2018, 06:41 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Thank you.
Just a paycheck.
I would love to do something different, but the pay is very important.
I wish, so much, that money was not an object.
Just be extra aware of any "coincidences" that may pop up in the near future. It's easy to be distracted at times like this and not see them. Some of the best things in my life have come out of them.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Thank you.
I am an analytical chemist. I analyze samples in labs using various instrumentation.
Are you by chance a chemist in the biotech industry? I work in that industry. Here is the link to the list of biotech companies in MA: https://biopharmguy.com/links/state-ma-all-geo.php
Old 05-03-2018, 09:52 AM

Sorry to hear that, and good luck in your search.

I'm in a similar sort of situation right now. I am five months from retirement eligibility (October 2) and have been notified that my job is going to be eliminated. It's really just a matter of timing at this point. I'm trying not to get stressed, but I do have a canker sore that popped up in my mouth, so apparently I'm getting at least somewhat stressed! It's probably from trying to pretend I still care at work...

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-15-2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 05-03-2018, 01:06 PM

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
As if I am not going through enough this year, I just got fired from my job today. Apparently my work performance does not meet their high standards.
This year has been a total nightmare for me thus far.
Yowza! I know the feeling... One time, (thankfully years ago) My woman quit me. I was fired from a great paying gig singing in a lounge I'd had for over a year - And, I got kicked out of the place I was living, all in one weekend..... 8>(

Don

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-03-2018 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Removed religion
Old 05-03-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
Yowza! I know the feeling... One time, (thankfully years ago) My woman quit me. I was fired from a great paying gig singing in a lounge I'd had for over a year - And, I got kicked out of the place I was living, all in one weekend..... 8>(

Don
How did you survive that??

I am barely holding it together as it is.

I don't know how much more burden I can bear.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-03-2018 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 05-03-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
Are you by chance a chemist in the biotech industry? I work in that industry. Here is the link to the list of biotech companies in MA: https://biopharmguy.com/links/state-ma-all-geo.php
Thanks for the link!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
How did you survive that??

I am barley holding it together as it is.

I don't know how much more burden I can bear.
You can get through this. One day at a time.

When things get tough go volunteer at a charity for a few hours. Takes your mind off your own troubles, and gives you some self satisfaction that's hard to come by given your situation.

Best of luck to you.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Probably one of the factors that contributed to you losing your job was the stress related to your pending divorce.

An un-loyal spouse is worse than no spouse. She's doing you a favor. You should be able to find a job quickly. Remember, there isn't anything wrong with you, its the situation that was dropped in your lap.

File for unemployment and ask about counseling to deal with the stress of the divorce and job loss. You never know what kind of good help you can get and it can lead you to more job contacts and social opportunities. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Probably one of the factors that contributed to you losing your job was the stress related to your pending divorce.

An un-loyal spouse is worse than no spouse. She's doing you a favor. You should be able to find a job quickly. Remember, there isn't anything wrong with you, its the situation that was dropped in your lap.

File for unemployment and ask about counseling to deal with the stress of the divorce and job loss. You never know what kind of good help you can get and it can lead you to more job contacts and social opportunities. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
Very true. I had trouble concentrating at work thinking about the major issues at home. I just filed for unemployment, set me and my family up with MassHealth for health insurance, and am looking for a new job. Plus, I am seeking much help for my mental health as well.

I am also thinking about selling one of my favorite guitars, should
money get really tight.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:57 PM

Sorry to read this AE. I lost my job of 30 years back in Feb of 2016....totally blind-sided me. My GM who I worked with for many years retired, and the new GM that replaced him was a real piece of work. I went through a really rough time, and hit one of the lowest points of my life. I was 56 and fired from my last job with no reason given, other than he wanted to go in a different direction. I was unable to find a job for four months, and finally ended up taking a job as a custodian....I was desperate. I went from running a highly profitable retail technology office with 12 employees, to cleaning toilets and mopping floors. I have since moved on to another department setting up for meetings and events.....which I like a little better. The transition from working at a desk all day to being on my feet all day was brutal, and really took a physical toll....but I survived. You will too. Take some time off and collect yourself. When you are ready to re-renter the job market, reach out to your friends, family, and colleagues, and let them know you are looking for work.

I wish you well my friend.

Danno
Old 05-09-2018, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
So sorry, AE.

I hope you find something soon. I know very few people to whom money is no object.
I understand, Jim, and wouldn't say money is no object for me, either. On the other hand, I love what I do so much that (please don't tell my boss!) I would pay them for the opportunity! In fact, I retired from it a couple of years ago, after nearly 50 years of it, and am now back at it part time - not because I have to, but because I love it that much. (It is musical ministry, but I am being careful not to cross the line our forum rule draws.)

Once, when I was between positions, I worked three part time jobs. By day I was a substitute teacher (any subject, but often music related), by day, a mall cop by night, and an interim music leader in a church - roughly 100 hours of work a week, for almost 2 years. I would occasionally earn extra money doing weddings, funerals, or performing, and on several occasions anonymous donations of food, money, or even clothing would show up. I should have been completely exhausted, but I wasn't at all! I was energized, and I made friends through all this that I retained even now, years later. It paid the bills without our having to go far into debt, and allowed our son to graduate high school with his class. After that, a new and better full time position opened up, in miraculous ways I cannot begin to explain.

I wouldn't want to live as I did for those two between years permanently, but I found that I could endure for the short term much more than I ever thought I could! Of course, there is more to this story, but I cannot get into all that here...

I am praying for you now, my friend!

cotten
Old 05-09-2018, 03:51 PM

Thanks to you all for the well wishes.
This is the lowest part of my life.
It really hurts.

You may see a guitar for sale in the future in Classifieds.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-09-2018 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Edited details

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic