The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
You have these two giants helping you, and you're asking US?

All I can say is again, congratulations. This is going to be a very special guitar, even more than this thread is a GREAT thread!

cotten
not asking for help just trying to keep the suspense up!

A main reason of flying out to Jason's shop was to hear the woods for myself and to let the builder show me in person how the tap tones were different. Two things I valued from my trip, how each piece of wood is truly different, and trusting the builder in what feels and sounds best in his hands

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 03-16-2011, 10:10 AM

Hey my guitar has a neck on it now! Cool!

Wonderful pics Eric, thank you so much for sharing this with us! What did you think of the maple Andamento? It's probably my favourite guitar in the whole world (for the time being...)
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:57 AM

I am following from Brazil and just canīt wait to read more!
Old 03-16-2011, 12:49 PM

Great stuff! I'm hooked!!!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 01:05 PM

The only thing I'm sceptical about is .........
"Final Commission"!!!
:-))

I have a feeling there could be something down the road..... just sayin'!
Old 03-16-2011, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

I know, I'm about to commission a new harp guitar

Old 03-16-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
I know, I'm about to commission a new harp guitar
Good man! Who's building it Kathy, Michi or Mike?
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

all of the above! a group project. I wish.....
I'm still talking to a luthier and we are putting some thoughts together. also trying to keep up the suspense!

Old 03-16-2011, 04:50 PM

A customer of mine is having a harp Guitar built by Kathy Wingert I will post details when I have them.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Charter Member

The story continues......

Out of the 30+ sets of brazilian I was able to choose from, I narrowed it down to my top 4. 2 of them were nicely quartersawn and one had some figure and one was highly figured.

Jason told me to pick up a piece one at a time. When I pick up a piece, feel it, flex it and tell me what you think. Then he held the piece up to my ear and tapped it and each piece had a different response. Much different than I thought and much different from each other!

the straightest of the bunch was the one I wanted to like the most!

This piece on paper had all the qualities of some of the best Brazilian you can find. perfectly quartersawn, nice tight grain, and simply beautiful. It felt nice from what I could tell and when Jason tapped it, it sounded nice from what I could tell.......until he tapped the others

I wanted to like this the most, but the others resonated more when tapped. not by a little, but by a substantial noticeable difference. Unfortunately as much as I wanted this one, this new guitar will be built all about tone and what wood the builder thinks would match the tone I'm looking for. Of course at the end of the day it will be my choice, but unfortunately, one of the top voted woods of my threads, is not the one I chose!

The next piece of wood was slightly figured. I thought this was a nice in between of getting a fully figured piece and some nicely sawn wood. Some may say its not nice, but visually, it was a nice in between for me.

I picked it up and it did sound better than the one that I opted out of. It rang better, but depending on where we tapped it sounded a bit inconsistent. Unfortunately, this is another piece I did not choose. so two down and two to choose from. Well actually when I was there, I was picking from four, but to make this story interesting, I'm only telling half the story!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:19 AM

could you please post the one you chose?
Old 03-17-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_brazil View Post
could you please post the one you chose?
+1.

The suspense is killing me!

Ans while you're at it, please post more pics of your workshop visit - those so far have been really entertaining.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

So down to my last two sets of brazilian to choose from. Here was a beautiful set of wood that had great straight grain and the side had some beautiful sharp lines. how could I not love how this set looked!

I picked up this set and tapped it and it rang and rang and rang! it had a great sound to it and thought this one was noticeably better than the other two that I turned down. So obviously this was in my top two!

The other finalist was this beautiful figured set. The figure on this one was very unique and had a 3 dimensional quality to it. even the sides were freaky looking. very beautiful set of wood!

I picked up the set and again it felt nice. Really, all of them felt nice because I didn't know what I was doing and was so excited to touch and feel my top choices of wood!

Jason picked it up and tapped it and this one rang and rang and rang!

The fun thing was that Jason, his fiance, my girlfriend, and I were all in the shop playing with these four sets of wood. Jason had each of us pick our first choice of wood and wait till the end to all share our stories and thoughts. Waiting in suspense, we heard everyones thoughts and saved mine till the end. Ultimately its my guitar so it would be my choice.

both sets were beautiful and one was straight grain and the other was figured grain. I really wanted to have the straight grain guitar and on paper, if the grain is straight and tight, how could I loose?

Something was magical about the figured wood. It did ring a bit longer than the straight grained one and more than the sustain, it had a deeper tap tone. I told Jason the first time we met that I wanted a guitar with a deep haunting cavernous voice. Something that when I hit the right note, it would send shivers down my spine. When we tapped this piece of wood, it did just that. It rang forever and it had that deep deep gong type sound

Jason was so thrilled because he knew what I was going to choose. He predicted that I would narrow it down to those last two. he didn't know which one exactly, but knew it would be the two with the most sustain.

Jason emailed me later that night and said he felt that I was sad because I really seemed like I wanted that first straight grain piece. I think I was more tired from the trip and the time zone change. He said that no matter which wood I picked, they all are great sets compared to thousands of other brazilian. He said pick the one that speaks to me most and he'll build the guitar I'm looking for!

So I went for the figured piece of wood! Again, I thought the first straight grained piece was the winner. Again, I really wanted both straight grain sets. But I told myself to trust the builder and let my ears decide and had to go for the one with the best tap tone!

I thought to myself, man, this was my last choice of wood our of these sets, but it sure did ring! Then I told myself, it wasn't the last choice, but it was in the top four choices of over 30 sets to choose from! My other guitars have a bit of straight grain in them and I don't own a figured guitar. This one will be a keeper and will certainly add some spice to the collection! and of course, I'm not more of a collector, I'm more of a player

Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 AM

Great choice, eric. That angled shot shows even more of the depth than the straight on shot. How many threads have gone into this guitar and it's just now getting started Can't wait to follow along!

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 03-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeastman View Post
How many threads have gone into this guitar and it's just now getting started Can't wait to follow along!
thats part of the fun, isn't it! But also, taking my time to make the right choices as well. Jason is truly a pleasure to work with!

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop