The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-23-2019, 10:53 AM

Default Belgium?

Every year, I try to do at least one international photo trip. In 2018 it was Ireland. This past spring, I did trips to Italy and Scotland.

For next year's trip, I'm looking at Belgium, and Brussels in particular.

Just wondering if anyone's traveled there and what your impressions were. From what I'm seeing online, it's got that quintessential "old world" European vibe to it...
Old 11-23-2019, 11:39 AM
Charter Member

Half my family is Flemish, the Dutch-speaking half of Belgium. I know it well enough. The Grand Place in Brussels might be the nicest old world town square in Europe. Bruges is amazing, but mobbed by tourists now. I would never suggest not going but if you can go in the off season or shoulder season you will actually be able to enjoy it. My best recommendation is Ghent, a marvelous old town with a modern district and several universities. It’s beautiful and a real town.

The food and drink in Belgium is incredible, and I’m not just referring to the chocolate and the waffles. It’s a gastronomic wonderland.

Happy to answer any questions.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:58 AM

Brussels is nice, as well as Ghent... There are a lot of old buildings.
I have not spent too much time there, aside from driving through, but it is quite quaint in places.

Depending on the length of the trip it is pretty easy to pop from place to place as well. Amsterdam, Cologne, Munich, Paris, etc..

Scott (an American in Germany)

Various stringed instruments
Old 11-23-2019, 12:23 PM

I spend a couple of months every year in Europe and Great Britain. If you want the "old world charm" Brussels has it but mainly in, and around, the Grand Place. However, I far prefer Brugge. Chocolate, beer and waffles is what you do there. It's a great walking city. Brugge has a wonderful feel and vibe and the whole city is great but can be very busy during peak tourist times - as always around Brussels' Grand Place which will be packed. deal would be to spend a day, or two, each in Brugge, Brussels and Ghent. The people throughout Belgium, like most countries, are wonderful.

Remember, there is no need to drive. The train is your friend.
Old 11-23-2019, 01:55 PM

Don't forget Bruges.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-23-2019, 02:29 PM

Default It's been a few years, but I say try:

Waterloo, Bastogne, the Menin Gate at Ypres.

If Bruges is too crowded, try Ghent. Tournai is pretty great too. And Liege (check out the Bishop's Palace!).

Be sure to stop in at "A la Mort Subite" for a brewski or two when you're in Brussels.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:32 PM

I would like that trip with my kids but Europe is not thought of as a tourist destination on my wife's side. They have family in Germany, Luxembourg, France and Holland.

The opposite of checking out many places though I've travelled a lot is we've done at least 10 trips to the same two houses on an island which was also interesting in a way.

For me the Belgium interest is my wife's cousin in Luxembourg does credit card style bike touring from his home there. He's repeated a trip through Belguim or or France with a goal of catching sunset longest day of the year in England, France or someplace looking west across the Atlantic.

Enjoy your travels!
Old 11-23-2019, 02:58 PM

Enjoying the input, folks! Keep it coming!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic