The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-02-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post
I feel bad for the seller. I would imagine that he waited four months or so for this one to ship and, once it arrived, he either immediately failed to bond with it or was in a likely pandemic related financial crunch. I also feel bad that he went for upgrades that, outside of possibly the Royal Ebony veneer, he is unlikely to find a buyer willing to pay extra for them.
Blue trim Gig Bag (new ones are Green) and I am 99.9% certain that the -17 in the serial number means it was built in 2017 given that my Chimaera from last year has a -19 as the end of the SN.

I agree with the alleged "upgrades". I'd pay extra for the veneer, the other changes detract for me.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-02-2020, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

From the seller:

To be 100% honest, I bought it to learn guitar, but by the time I received it (ordered 3/17 received 8/17) I was too busy with work and never got around to learning. It has been sitting at my house ever since. I was recently laid off due to COVID-19 and figured it time to sell. I had a few people email me for tonal quality, so I just recorded my neighbor and placed the video within the listing. The first half is connected to an amp and the second half is un-amped. He even remarked that is sounds amazing and is very easy to play. I doubt it will last long as I have had quit a few inquires today on it.
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-02-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealmasy View Post
I must be missing something. Selling used as-is for 70% of the new price is "pennies to what it initially cost"?
Yup. 70 pennies to be exact.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

So who's the lucky new owner???
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-02-2020, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
From the seller:

To be 100% honest, I bought it to learn guitar, but by the time I received it (ordered 3/17 received 8/17) I was too busy with work and never got around to learning. It has been sitting at my house ever since. I was recently laid off due to COVID-19 and figured it time to sell. I had a few people email me for tonal quality, so I just recorded my neighbor and placed the video within the listing. The first half is connected to an amp and the second half is un-amped. He even remarked that is sounds amazing and is very easy to play. I doubt it will last long as I have had quit a few inquires today on it.
So I was right on both counts. In 3 years time he played it played it for a total of 30 minutes. I have to say, for a guy looking to learn guitar he definitely had his wallet go all in. Not exactly a beginners guitar, that’s for sure. He probably kept it this long hoping that “some day...,” plus it was so beautiful to look at, plus it provided zero care. If it was a wood guitar he’d have grown tired of humidifying it during the winter so he would have gotten rid of much sooner. OTOH, he had something of considerable value to sell when he, sadly, lost job.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:17 AM

Default Wow! Here's a PSA if there has ever been...

Meh. The real bargain was the X20 I sold here a couple of weeks ago for $1425. Amber Opus with Hiscox case and BBand pickup. Sounds and plays the same. Pickup was good enough to work with too.

And this is not sour grapes as one member messaged me. I just don’t see how this psa was a bargain. If you like to pay a lot for looks with the same sound and feel, be my guest.

Last edited by DavidE; 08-03-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Meh. The real bargain was the X20 I sold here a couple of weeks ago for $1425. Amber Opus with Hiscox case and BBand pickup. Sounds and plays the same. Pickup was good enough to work with too.

And this is not sour grapes as one member messaged me. I just don’t see how this psa was a bargain. If you like to pay a lot for looks with the same sound and feel, be my guest.
Emerald has obviously hit upon a successful marketing strategy with their woody veneer option. There’s nothing wrong with it as it makes for wonderful aesthetics for people who are into it and aren’t averse to paying the not insignificant upcharge. The beauty of such an offering is that (1)it has no effect on the sound either way, and (2)you can choose to buy an instrument without it(just as you can choose to buy a guitar without a pickup - though choosing the latter significantly increases your wait time).

I have two Emeralds, neither of which have woody veneers, and I am very satisfied, so my choice lines up with yours. As they say, different courses for horses.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Oh man, shame I missed that, would have complemented my Amber Chimaera nicely.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber