The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-31-2020, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Short for "accompaniment", Kev. Usually meaning that traditional jazz style of backing chords behind a singer or soloist. Of course it's only clear in context.
Quote:
There's "comping" a track together as in Logic's "fast comping"
...which is short for "composite" or "compositing"...

Quote:
or "comping tickets" as in free, probably others as well.
...which is short for "complimentary". English is hard.
Old 08-01-2020, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
Aloha Newpipa,

... I have never shared ANYTHING online. It's far too easy for original music & vital, personal information to be appropriated by thieves today. That SoundCloud response to you sounds bogus to me, newpipa. Beware!
+1

I'd just delete all your social media accounts.

You asked.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

OK so Now I understand the comping term (just had not heard it used in that reference)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newpipa View Post
I thought a bit about any copyright issues that some discussed. My understanding from jazz is that the “changes” (I.e. jazz term for the chord progression of a tune) cannot be copyrighted; only the melody is copyrighted. And many tunes have the same or similar changes. Thus, you will see many folks who teach jazz online will not provide the melody in their teaching materials to avoid copyright issues. However, they use/provide the “changes” freely. The melodies are easy to find, learn by ear, purchase in a “Real Book”...

So, not to put too fine a point on it, but my comping is just playing the changes, not the melody.
(Disclaimer) I am not an intellectual property rights lawyer. But have studied and learned about copyright law and precedent for about 20 years.

Understand while there are specific copyright statutes, the specific meaning of some of the wording can be subject to interpretation, so there are parts of copyright law (and any law) that are not completely static.
While it is true that the melody is primary consideration in copyright protection law (and for example while 8 of same consecutive notes and cadence has been one adjudicated precedent , even with that established precedent, protection may not necessarily be limited to strictly that 8 notes or more, interpretation ) And yes the raw chord progression itself may not be able to be copyrighted. BUT understand if the timing (cadence) and presentation (any distinct highlighted/emphasized chord ) of a progression is readily identifiable as being associated to a copyrighted work it "could" be considered to fall under protection.

Quote:
Final Questions - When I get my first acoustic recording setup together and want to share here for some feedback, must my track be “public” in SoundCloud for folks to listen to it? Is there a preferred sound file format (e.g. MP3, WAV) that one should use for best results?

Thanks all!
. Again you want to "upload" your full resolution WAV files to Sound Cloud which can be "downloaded" to someones computer in the full WAV format.
But for streaming from Soundcloud (what most people here do when sharing a work) SoundCloud will compress the WAV for streaming purposes .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-01-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newpipa View Post
Final Questions - When I get my first acoustic recording setup together and want to share here for some feedback, must my track be “public” in SoundCloud for folks to listen to it? Is there a preferred sound file format (e.g. MP3, WAV) that one should use for best results?
Just make them public.

A wav file will probably sound best (soundcloud converts everything to its own format), but you can upload a wav and a compressed format of the same piece and see it it makes that much difference.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-01-2020, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

I use the public share and I ignore the bogus likes and comments from "promoters."

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-03-2020, 11:42 AM

One of the inexplicable things that happened to me on Soundcloud: I posted a song and almost immediately got a like and a repost from someone in Ukraine. That night I got exactly 100 listens from Ukraine. Never heard from them again. I suppose it might have been some kind of scam, but I never figured out how it might work.

D.H.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD