The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-25-2018, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Default Cargo vs. Journey OF660

Anybody out there have a preference between CA Cargo and the Journey OF660? I'm particularly interested in how they sound though an amp. Your thoughts?
Old 07-25-2018, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

I have no experience with the Cargo but the OF660 shines amplified. They use a proprietary SBT pickup system that is similar to the K&K. K&K is my preferred pickup system so I'm used to it and have found the OF660 to be a great guitar to use plugged in.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:35 AM

I have played the Cargo (not plugged in) and it's a great little guitar. I think the scale feels a little on the small side when going up the neck, but if you regularly play with a capo or smaller scale instruments then that shouldn't be a bother. I ended up getting a Lucky13 instead of the Cargo when I was looking (in 2014).

I am considering getting the OF660, so I am following your thread with interest. I am hoping it's close enough to the Lucky13 that I can use it for traveling and take advantage of the folding neck design. Currently I am traveling with my X20. It works and is tough enough that I don't worry about environmental damage too much, but its footprint is a little cumbersome at times.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-25-2018, 01:15 PM

Although I have an OF420B (Pau Ferro version) rather than the CF Journey, it has the same pickup system mentioned by Methos1979 (btw - the year I got married, so I could probably be his/her dad! ) and it does a more than credible job plugged in. Also, the 24.5” scale doesn’t require much adjustment, and with a 16” radius and 1.75” width at the nut, I actually find the neck much more comfortable to play than my Martin 000-15.
Old 08-05-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I have no experience with the Cargo but the OF660 shines amplified. They use a proprietary SBT pickup system that is similar to the K&K. K&K is my preferred pickup system so I'm used to it and have found the OF660 to be a great guitar to use plugged in.
Same, my OF660 is fast becoming my “go to” six string.
I play P&W about once a month.
Rehearsal is always on a day that I work.
I tend to work from 0430 to 1800 or later in rehearsal days.
Fearing that I will be late if I go home, I have brought my OF660 to work.
Stashed it under a desk.
And it’s ready to go.
I plug and play....and we are very loud.
The pickup in mine works fine.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 07-27-2020, 07:04 PM

Hi all,

Curious on this myself. I have a cargo but my last trip through Asia they would not let me take it onboard (had to sneak it as much as possible) so ended up costing me a few extra $$ which brings me to the OF660.

I've heard mixed reports on the quality of the bag, bit bummed out the frets aren't stainless steel too

Soundwise I'm guessing the OF600 might be more powerful due to longer scale and slightly bigger body size.

Plan on using it with a tonewood amp....just wondering if the passive would be fine or need to upgrade? (compared to the Cargo which has a 9V pickup but not the best body to put the tonewood amp on due to the curve)

I might even keep the cargo yet but its so hard to tell what airlines will let you take on a guitar now....post COVID who knows!!!

I'm always spooked with the tonewood brace and airport security as well...any experiences here?
Old 07-27-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by string1399 View Post
Anybody out there have a preference between CA Cargo and the Journey OF660? I'm particularly interested in how they sound though an amp. Your thoughts?
I sat down with a used Cargo many years ago in a GC but did not play it plugged in. It is a cool little guitar, a a bit too little for my tastes. I find the scale and nut width very limiting for my play. I own the OF660 and have had it for about 2 years now. I love it both acoustically and plugged in. I run it through a Fishman Platinum Stage, either in front of my amps or direct to PA. It sounds fantastic, the best plugged in tone I've ever had but I'm sure there is better to be found for all those knob tweakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhound View Post
Hi all,

Curious on this myself. I have a cargo but my last trip through Asia they would not let me take it onboard (had to sneak it as much as possible) so ended up costing me a few extra $$ which brings me to the OF660.

I've heard mixed reports on the quality of the bag, bit bummed out the frets aren't stainless steel too

Soundwise I'm guessing the OF600 might be more powerful due to longer scale and slightly bigger body size.

Plan on using it with a tonewood amp....just wondering if the passive would be fine or need to upgrade? (compared to the Cargo which has a 9V pickup but not the best body to put the tonewood amp on due to the curve)

I might even keep the cargo yet but its so hard to tell what airlines will let you take on a guitar now....post COVID who knows!!!

I'm always spooked with the tonewood brace and airport security as well...any experiences here?
There is one report I've read that was negative on the bag. Not sure what that is all about because the bag is great! I was initially bummed that the Journey did not have stainless frets but after 2 years of playing and use of a capo on the first 4 frets, I see very minimal pitting/wear. Turns out brass is pretty strong. I also noticed that the brass seemed "catchy" on the strings until I polished them up real good, and have felt great since then.

The Journey is a great sounding CF guitar but it does come across a bit compressed/ quiet. The built in compression is actually welcome to my ears as it tames some of the brightness CF guitars are known for. It is a very warm sounding CF guitar.

The relative quietness is one of my complaints, but I've found that LaBella Silk and Steel 710M and Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze help it along some- preferring the tone of the LaBellas.

I have used a Tonewood Amp in the Journey before and it works great with the passive proprietary pickup- no issue whatsoever. In fact it sounds really good! I sold the TWA though and never flew with it, and yes, they may look at you cross-eyed Regarding flying, the OF660 has gone on several flights with me with zero issues. Nobody even gives me a second glance, but I also pay a little for early boarding to insure the guitar stays with me.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhound View Post

I bought the Tonewood hoping in part to use it while traveling, but couldn't fit the X-brace in my Cargo, so based on the advice found in another thread here, I tried attaching the Tonewood Amp to the Cargo using Alien Tape. It worked really well. So you may be able to skip the brace and not worry about airport security.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I sat down with a used Cargo many years ago in a GC but did not play it plugged in. It is a cool little guitar, a a bit too little for my tastes. I find the scale and nut width very limiting for my play. I own the OF660 and have had it for about 2 years now. I love it both acoustically and plugged in. I run it through a Fishman Platinum Stage, either in front of my amps or direct to PA. It sounds fantastic, the best plugged in tone I've ever had but I'm sure there is better to be found for all those knob tweakers.

There is one report I've read that was negative on the bag. Not sure what that is all about because the bag is great! I was initially bummed that the Journey did not have stainless frets but after 2 years of playing and use of a capo on the first 4 frets, I see very minimal pitting/wear. Turns out brass is pretty strong. I also noticed that the brass seemed "catchy" on the strings until I polished them up real good, and have felt great since then.

The Journey is a great sounding CF guitar but it does come across a bit compressed/ quiet. The built in compression is actually welcome to my ears as it tames some of the brightness CF guitars are known for. It is a very warm sounding CF guitar.

The relative quietness is one of my complaints, but I've found that LaBella Silk and Steel 710M and Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze help it along some- preferring the tone of the LaBellas.

I have used a Tonewood Amp in the Journey before and it works great with the passive proprietary pickup- no issue whatsoever. In fact it sounds really good! I sold the TWA though and never flew with it, and yes, they may look at you cross-eyed Regarding flying, the OF660 has gone on several flights with me with zero issues. Nobody even gives me a second glance, but I also pay a little for early boarding to insure the guitar stays with me.
argh I lost my message! Ok I think you have me sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealmasy View Post
I bought the Tonewood hoping in part to use it while traveling, but couldn't fit the X-brace in my Cargo, so based on the advice found in another thread here, I tried attaching the Tonewood Amp to the Cargo using Alien Tape. It worked really well. So you may be able to skip the brace and not worry about airport security.
I was using a strap there for a bit but originally had a custom brace I made of rare earth magnets

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber