The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-03-2020, 11:34 PM
krugjr krugjr is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 379
Default Search Bar Gone?

the one I've been using at the bottom of page disappeared.....did I do it, or some change with the site?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-04-2020, 01:59 AM
Kerbie Kerbie is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 22,955
Default

You're right. It's gone for me too. I've passed the question on to our admin. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-04-2020, 02:14 AM
Jeremy's Avatar
Jeremy Jeremy is offline
AGF Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 8,624
Default

I removed it. According to Google its placement was causing problems for the site. The same Google search function is available in the search menu drop down in the navbar up top.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-05-2020, 06:42 PM
Dotneck Dotneck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 1,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I removed it. According to Google its placement was causing problems for the site. The same Google search function is available in the search menu drop down in the navbar up top.
Google...what do they know?
__________________
One journey....many paths.....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-05-2020, 07:10 PM
mc1 mc1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nova scotia
Posts: 13,771
Default

I have no idea what Google didn't like, but I found it's placement a little awkward down there amongst the search on ebay and search on amazon buttons. Which I never used, but will mention I just tried them and they don't seem to do anything.

The only thing I did like about the search was, if I remember correctly, it was available whether signed in or not, whereas the search in the menu at the top is only available if you are signed in.
__________________
2008 Zagerized/Torrefied Esteban DeLuxe Custom Special with built-in permanent 24/7 tonerite, and extra-extra soft fret wire.
Taylor Gigbag and Martin Strings and Jimmy Hendrix pick.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-06-2020, 10:26 AM
Everton FC Everton FC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,006
Default Search Feature - Can't see it

Anyone else simply not seeing the "Search" feature here, anymore?? Or is it simply my p.c.??
__________________

1978 Yamaha FG-331
1971 Espana 2102
1977 Goya GS80 (Les Paul Custom Copy)
1970 CBS Masterworks MWG-560
1930s Harmony Mandolin
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-06-2020, 04:15 PM
Jeremy's Avatar
Jeremy Jeremy is offline
AGF Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 8,624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
I have no idea what Google didn't like, but I found it's placement a little awkward down there amongst the search on ebay and search on amazon buttons. Which I never used, but will mention I just tried them and they don't seem to do anything.

The only thing I did like about the search was, if I remember correctly, it was available whether signed in or not, whereas the search in the menu at the top is only available if you are signed in.
Google kicked us out of their ad network saying the search bar was too close to the ad banner, so I was asked to remove the search bar so we could have Google reanalyze the site. We rely on that ad revenue to help keep the site running as sponsorship and charter memberships are no longer sufficient to keep us afloat.

I tested the ebay and Amazon search boxes and they work fine. They do open in new tabs so if you have an overzealous pop-up or script blocker that could explain why they're not functioning for you.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-06-2020, 04:17 PM
Jeremy's Avatar
Jeremy Jeremy is offline
AGF Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 8,624
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
Anyone else simply not seeing the "Search" feature here, anymore?? Or is it simply my p.c.??
Make sure you're logged in.

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 3.12.42 PM.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-06-2020, 04:54 PM
draelyc draelyc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 230
Default

Does the non-Google site search function no longer work?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-06-2020, 05:01 PM
Kerbie Kerbie is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 22,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by draelyc View Post
Does the non-Google site search function no longer work?
It works fine. It's in the blue bar at the top.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-06-2020, 05:47 PM
mc1 mc1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: nova scotia
Posts: 13,771
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
I tested the ebay and Amazon search boxes and they work fine. They do open in new tabs so if you have an overzealous pop-up or script blocker that could explain why they're not functioning for you.
Hi Jeremy, That's probably what it is.
__________________
2008 Zagerized/Torrefied Esteban DeLuxe Custom Special with built-in permanent 24/7 tonerite, and extra-extra soft fret wire.
Taylor Gigbag and Martin Strings and Jimmy Hendrix pick.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-06-2020, 07:36 PM
draelyc draelyc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 230
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
It works fine. It's in the blue bar at the top.
Well, it's there like it's always been, but it hasn't worked (for me) for months now. I either get a blank page or a page that says "THIS PAGE IS NOT WORKING RIGHT NOW" ...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-06-2020, 09:54 PM
Denny B Denny B is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,674
Default

In all my time here, I've always used the search function on the top bar...I've never even noticed there was another one at the bottom of the page...
__________________
"Expecting the World to treat you fairly because you're a good person, is kind of like expecting the Bull not to attack you because you're a vegetarian."
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=