The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-04-2020, 10:56 PM

Default Fingerpicking question

I am starting to try Fly me to the moon.
https://youtu.be/izUDu655fBA
On the right of the tab for the song are chord diagrams. Are these played in the fingering because I’m not seeing it? Or are they rhythm chords that can accompany the finger picked chords?
Old 08-05-2020, 12:11 AM

I believe those are the rhythm chords. I bet it would sound great if you can first strum a nice simple rhythm with those chords and then play fingerstyle over the chords.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:16 AM
Charter Member

They are the general chord shapes. He is not fretting all of the notes of those chords.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-05-2020, 03:51 AM

This one came up on YouTube after the one the OP posted. I thought it was interesting: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Dpe3L13dM
Old 08-05-2020, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antvas1963 View Post
I am starting to try Fly me to the moon.
https://youtu.be/izUDu655fBA
On the right of the tab for the song are chord diagrams. Are these played in the fingering because I’m not seeing it? Or are they rhythm chords that can accompany the finger picked chords?
They are the implied chords, to help guide you, to help make sense of the sequence.
They are not intended to be an accompaniment. They could be, but this arrangement is intended to work without accompaniment.

And in fact, one of the chord names is wrong: "B7b5" should be Bm7b5. (Or possibly Bm7, as there is no F or F# in the chord. But there is a D, not D# as there would be in B7b5.)

Again, you don't have to pay any attention to that, just follow the tab.

One advantage of knowing the chords is you can begin to make your own adaptation of that arrangement if you want.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:34 AM

Thank you all for clearing that up for me.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:43 AM

Perhaps it might be helpful to you in playing the piece to think of it not as a bunch of block chords but, instead, as a melody and an independant accompanying bass part, with occasional additional notes to fill in the harmonies. Generally, don't finger/fret notes you aren't going to play: it often slows you down and makes it more difficult to play.
Old 08-05-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Perhaps it might be helpful to you in playing the piece to think of it not as a bunch of block chords but, instead, as a melody and an independant accompanying bass part, with occasional additional notes to fill in the harmonies. Generally, don't finger/fret notes you aren't going to play: it often slows you down and makes it more difficult to play.
yea,, that's pretty much how to approach finger style solo playing in general.
the bass notes, melody are the key, a few of the other "chord tones" or even one of them, should do it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write