The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreymoh View Post
Does anybody here have any experience with the more affordable guitars from builders such as Bourgeois Generation or Huss & Dalton Road Series?

Are they comparable to the other guitars in the line-up (other than finish / inlay work)? Do they hold their value less well? In general, are you better off buying a high-end guitar from one of the bigger builders (i.e. Martin, Taylor, Gibson)?

Thoughts / Opinions appreciated.
Jeffrey, my deepest experience with "affordable boutique" is David Webber's guitars. They typically retail new for a little over $3k, but can be regularly found used for $1.5 to $2k. David has recently retired, so there are only a few new ones floating around. His guitars are universally acclaimed as "playing above their cost", and compare well to instruments priced at 2X or more. I play mainly fingerstyle, and find them responsive, articulate and a joy overall. Not as much bling, and not as crazy-fastidious in terms of detail work as some other builders, but for an affordable guitar with tone that runs circles around most factory guitars (and hangs with some much higher end boutique instruments), they are awesome.

If you buy used, a Webber holds its value well (new will not).
Old 08-06-2020, 06:56 PM

I own an H&D Road Series rosewood dreadnought, one of the initial short run of 100 guitars in the series made in 2013-14.

It is superb in every way. The finish is lighter than the more expensive Huss & Daltons, satin on the back, sides and neck and gloss on the top. I think the thinner finish has a positive impact on the liveliness of the guitar.

I have owned a number of other H&D’s, but this one is my favorite.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 08-06-2020, 08:08 PM

Check out Ed Bond (Halcyon Guitars), Steve Denvir and a fellow in Nova Scotia named Crosby - any of these Canadians give a great guitar for surprisingly little outlay.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

No experience with either of the two you mentioned, but I have played several of James Goodall's "Aloha" series instruments, and they have been wonderful! Although they are available only in Koa or Mahogany b/s w/ either spruce or Koa tops, James told me that they receive the same attention to detail and time invested as a commissioned $15,000 instrument...

Not sure what the price is now, but I'm guessing somewhere around $5500, possibly less.
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion