The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 01:54 AM

Default Strings ?? What ones ??

Hi everyone...1st post from me so here goes...

I've been playing for 13 years and I'm a strummer and I sing. Well I've just had my 1st guitar lesson in about 12 years (!!) in the dark art of Travis/fingerpicking. Now I have a perfectly good Maton M225 dreadnought and I do love her, she's a dream to play...

The problem is that I splashed out a while ago on a Burny ES175 type hollowbody. Now I use Thomastik Infeld acoustic strings, AC111, 0.11 gauge on my acoustic guitars...should I put a set on the Burny and use it as my "pickin'" guitar ?? I don't really play plugged in so I'm not worried that it may not be the same without the flatwounds that it came with...I'd love to get some use out of it because she's a beauty...

What do you think ?? It's such a beautiful guitar, it seems a shame to just have it sitting in it's case doing nothing. If I don't do something with it I'll end up selling it...then I'll be sorry !!
Old 08-06-2020, 03:56 AM

Strings are the cheapest way to experiment. Especially strings it sounds like you can use on a different guitar if you don’t like them on this one, just coil up the ends and don’t cut them.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martymaton View Post
Hi everyone...1st post from me so here goes...

I've been playing for 13 years and I'm a strummer and I sing. Well I've just had my 1st guitar lesson in about 12 years (!!) in the dark art of Travis/fingerpicking. Now I have a perfectly good Maton M225 dreadnought and I do love her, she's a dream to play...

The problem is that I splashed out a while ago on a Burny ES175 type hollowbody. Now I use Thomastik Infeld acoustic strings, AC111, 0.11 gauge on my acoustic guitars...should I put a set on the Burny and use it as my "pickin'" guitar ?? I don't really play plugged in so I'm not worried that it may not be the same without the flatwounds that it came with...I'd love to get some use out of it because she's a beauty...

What do you think ?? It's such a beautiful guitar, it seems a shame to just have it sitting in it's case doing nothing. If I don't do something with it I'll end up selling it...then I'll be sorry !!
i had to google the Burny - never heard of the make before, but despite its hollow body, it is an electric so wonlt sound right unplugged. I can't advise on that one I'm afraid.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Marty, I am unfamiliar wit both of your instruments, but as you say the Maton is a dreadnought, I'd unhesitatingly suggest Med um gauge PB strings such as D'addario EJ17s. (56-13)
I'm aware than many might use light gauge strings on dreads and whilst this seems unbalanced to me it may be useful to you -so D'addario EJ16s (53-12)
Old 08-06-2020, 04:30 AM

Ah I'll not be changing from my Thomastiks on the dread...best strings I've ever used.
Old 08-06-2020, 08:40 AM

Well of course you can try strings without asking our permission.

On an ES175 type guitar I'd play plugged in, and I like TI electric flats on my most similar electric archtop. You must already be used to the prices of TI strings, so I won't need to warn you there. You could play yours unplugged if you like and the sound meets your needs.

An acoustic string to consider on an electric archtop would be the Martin Retros or similar monel strings. Monel is a nickel alloy, and would work fine if you ever change your mind and plug it in.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-06-2020, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Default My new go to strings are

Santa Cruz Parabolic Mediums. I put these on my Collings OM and my Waterloo. Man did they make a difference. I had been using D'Addario PBs forever, but what a difference with these strings.
A whole new sound out of my Waterloo.
Pricey, but man they are worth it.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:04 AM

That's why I use the Thomastik...I certainly won't be using D'Addario strings that's for sure. Phosphor bronze won't be getting a look either.
Old 08-06-2020, 04:05 PM

Ever since someone on this forum introduced me to D'Addario EJ16... I can't use any other string... It's cheap in price but packs a bright tone and volume is up there. I know I shouldn't replace strings so fast but I had to try.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion