The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-28-2021, 11:39 AM

Default when/how did you hear/learn about carbon fibre guitars?

Hi all.

Idle curiosity on a rainy day...

Cheers
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 03-28-2021, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

I wasn’t really sure, so I did a little searching. I responded to this thread back in 2010, indicating that I was ready to buy a CA OX:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=173305

Not sure I actually remember it that way, but I do recall being very taken with a Cargo that I played at the Podium in Minneapolis back around that time, so I’d say it’s been (at least) 10 or 11 years. Ran into a couple of Rainsongs along the way as well, which I simply couldn’t afford at the time - before I was fortunate enough to buy my first Emerald in late 2018.

It’s rather an interesting thread to read again after this length of time.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 03-28-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:39 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I learned about CF guitars back in ‘07 on this forum and the now defunct MacNichol CF discussion forum. Early in ‘08 while travelling through Florida, my Baby Taylor got inadvertently damaged beyond repair and the Composite Acoustics Cargo was just being discussed as all the rage, so to immediately replace the BT while still on vacation (I wasn’t thrilled with it anyhow), I posted on the AGF to ask if anyone knew where a Cargo could be had.

With a quick response, I located one in Texas that was shipped to where I was staying in FL within a couple of days. I still have it, love the little bugger. Since then, I’ve owned and sold a CA GXi (big brother to the Cargo), two Emerald Chimaera 6/12 doublenecks and a Blackbird Savoy. I still own an Emerald X20.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I learned about CF guitars back in ‘07 on this forum and the now defunct MacNichol CF discussion forum. Early in ‘08 while travelling through Florida, my Baby Taylor got inadvertently damaged beyond repair and the Composite Acoustics Cargo was just being discussed as all the rage, so to immediately replace the BT while still on vacation (I wasn’t thrilled with it anyhow), I posted on the AGF to ask if anyone knew where a Cargo could be had.

With a quick response, I located one in Texas that was shipped to where I was staying in FL within a couple of days. I still have it, love the little bugger. Since then, I’ve owned and sold a CA GXi (big brother to the Cargo), two Emerald Chimaera 6/12 doublenecks and a Blackbird Savoy. I still own an Emerald X20.
Hey Tom, I have yet to play or see a CF guitar. I've looked in the past but found nothing in the stores I've been in. Are you aware of Canadian stores that sell some or is it mostly buy from outside Canada?
Old 03-28-2021, 01:44 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Hi there, Dru. The only CF guitars I’ve seen in a Canadian guitar shop have been Composite Acoustics (pre-Peavey) and RainSong, and even at that, maybe just a model or two. I’ve seen more RainSong models in Florida stores, but still not a lot. I believe that your work in non-pandemic times takes you to the US, so maybe make a point of seeking CFs in local shops while there. That said, you certainly won’t see an Emerald because of their direct sales business model.

I equate the lack of being able to try before you buy as somewhat akin to taking a leap of faith with a boutique custom wood builder as long as one believes that composite instruments are in fact, quality instruments. Videos aren’t necessarily the best measure, but word of mouth (on forums like this) can provide enough assurance to take a chance.

Fwiw, my experience in buying and selling CFs is that resale has been easy and with a good deal less $ loss than what sellers find with wood guitars. As an example, after 13 years with my Cargo, though I can’t see myself ever selling it, I could sell it today for as much or more than I paid for it in ‘08. Emeralds are holding their value very well in the used market. Likely, other brands are as well.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Hi there, Dru. The only CF guitars I’ve seen in a Canadian guitar shop have been Composite Acoustics (pre-Peavey) and RainSong, and even at that, maybe just a model or two. I’ve seen more RainSong models in Florida stores, but still not a lot. I believe that your work in non-pandemic times takes you to the US, so maybe make a point of seeking CFs in local shops while there. That said, you certainly won’t see an Emerald because of their direct sales business model.

I equate the lack of being able to try before you buy as somewhat akin to taking a leap of faith with a boutique custom wood builder as long as one believes that composite instruments are in fact, quality instruments. Videos aren’t necessarily the best measure, but word of mouth (on forums like this) can provide enough assurance to take a chance.

Fwiw, my experience in buying and selling CFs is that resale has been easy and with a good deal less $ loss than what sellers find with wood guitars. As an example, after 13 years with my Cargo, though I can’t see myself ever selling it, I could sell it today for as much or more than I paid for it in ‘08. Emeralds are holding their value very well in the used market. Likely, other brands are as well.
Thanks Tom. I've read some threads on the different CF manufacturers and I'll have to give it another read to find out the nuances between each, akin to Martin/Taylor/Gibson nuances. But I digress!
Old 03-28-2021, 03:21 PM
Guest 928

Dru;

There was a Canadian company making CF instruments that had a brief moment on this forum--I think the company was called Synergy and it was offering custom work and reasonable prices. I'm not sure if it's still in business.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

For me, it was at The Podium back around 2007. I walked in and Marty Reynolds handed me a Cargo saying "You have got to try this!". I did and bought it, followed by two more during the following year or two. All three are pre-Peavey. I still have all three of them plus a couple of McPhersons (Sable and Touring).

I recall reading online complaints about neck angle issues with these CA Guitars. However, I know for a fact that Marty checked every one they got in, and sent several back for various QC issues. The Podium sold those that passed Marty's inspection so those were all keepers.

Tony
Old 03-28-2021, 03:30 PM
Guest 928

Dru;

I'm not sure about the name of the company and I don't see it on line. I do know that Westcoast Guitar does carry Klos instruments.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:34 PM
Guest 928

The Cargo was my first CF guitar, discovered through Michael's. And then I went to a CA Ox, and onward to a raft of nylon string instruments by Blackbird, Rainsong, and Emerald. The Cargo has been the introduction for many of us--indeed, quite addictive. At one Time the Kramster had 20.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:36 PM

MandoBros around 2K - played 'em, liked 'em, bought a matched set of 6- and 12-string Rainsong JM's as soon as I could afford them...
Old 03-28-2021, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

A sailing friend of mine from Louisiana told me about Composite Acoustics... "You've got to try one of these guitars!" He knew I did solo acoustic gigs on the side and thought CF would be good for me on a boat. I have to admit, I kinda discounted the idea. Then, came across the McNichols forum. It made me CF curious. At our first year at boat jobs in the San Juans Islands, I had a minor delamination issue with a wood guitar and decided to seriously look at carbon fiber.

No looking back.
Old 03-28-2021, 05:59 PM

I knew they were out there but it was an article about the physicist Rainsong founder that lit the fire. The nerd engineer in me likes the high tech materials and as I read more I wound up on this forum where Emerald seems to be most favored. I love the veneer look but the black satin carbon fiber basic look held the most attraction so I ordered that. Someday my guitar will appear and I’ll know what at least one of them sounds like in person. The same nerd engineer in me would someday like to build a titanium tri-cone resonator for fun because I’ve worked so much with that material and it would be different. Cheers all and I appreciate being able to learn from you. Great forum and group. John
Old 03-28-2021, 06:04 PM
Charter Member

Despite having owned a number of Rainsongs and Emeralds, I've never seen a carbon fiber guitar in a store. My first Rainsong (and a few more after that) came from Ted at LA Guitar Sales...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-28-2021, 07:14 PM

I have just ordered my first and am awaiting delivery on an Emerald X-20. To this day, I've never even played a CF guitar. I just wanted something I could leave in the car on a hot day if I wanted to grab a bite, or be able to play an outdoor gig and not have to worry about tuning issues like I had this past weekend at an outdoor gig. Looks like a lot of my gigs will be outdoors for the near future anyway.

I hate to buy without playing first, but I have a 10 day inspection period, and beyond that, the resale on them seems pretty good. Seems fairly low risk to me, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber