The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-12-2019, 08:45 AM

The Jazz Rivet 120 is another electric amp
that works well with acoustics,
Most dont, for multiple reasons stated above.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:29 PM

This really is a discussion about 'the right guitar through the right amp', like Keith Richards once said. And if we are realistic, they are all electric guitars once you try to get louder with an amplifier. Some are just easier to make sound good than others, the flat top acoustic guitar being the toughest.

What makes a good acoustic guitar sound great is what gives you trouble when you amplify it, and that is resonance. An 'acoustic amp is Eq'd to handle the troublesome overtones, avoiding feedback issues.

'Electric guitars', archtops and solidbodies, have reduced the resonance drastically on the instrument end, and raised on the amp end. Avoids feedback.

If you can, take your guitar along with you when you go amp hunting, buy the one that sounds best for what you want to do.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:53 AM

I've got an old Carvin AG100D that uses a 12" and it's always amazed me how good it was for the money.

I've gone to Bose (L1-C and an S1-Pro) but will probably keep the Carvin because it's been so bullet proof and actually sounds pretty darned good. I wish they wouldn't have given up.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 07-13-2019, 01:24 PM

To flip the scenario around, I’ll run a Telecaster on the bridge pick-up into my Loudbox Artist for a couple of different solo acts I accompany. It requires some EQ on the Loudbox and some reverb to fatten up the signal, but it produces a nice clean tone at the right volume. Now a trained ear could recognize that something might be slightly off-kilter about the signal, but it works great in a pinch and leaves the other channel open for harmonica. I do it this way because one of the folks I play with uses an acoustic amp of his own as a small PA and we’re talking pretty small brewery/restaurant patios, so it lets me kill two birds with one stone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification