The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisser View Post
The box arrived today via FedEx shipped out of a warehouse in New Jersey. I'm impressed with package. For $300.00....a solid wood guitar, very nicely finished with a great case, a pickup (I don't even own an amplifier!) and all the trimmings!

It's not exceeding my expectations. I would think that the spruce top version would be a little louder and brighter sounding. This guitar with the mahogany top (probably sapele, khaya, sipo, but at this price that's not an issue), is quiet even for a "travel" guitar. I tweeked the truss rod for a little relief, but I'm going to have it set up. The bottom two strings are quite buzzy past the third fret when played with anything other then a light touch. I'm thinking that it needs a shim under the saddle or nut or both. If the buzzing can be taken care of, it's a keeper.
Just an update....it seems the buzzing has practically disappeared. The truss rod adjustment, and the guitar in general, needed to settle in I guess.

The guitar plays quite well. All of my others have a 1 3/4" neck with a larger profile but I don't find this short scale slim neck uncomfortable. In fact, I've ordered an inexpensive acoustic amp which is being delivered today and I'm looking forward to playing around with it.

I would definitely recommend this little Fender, especially at this price.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Mine came in today. Right out of the box the action is just about perfect. I haven't have much time to play it yet, but it seems quite good for the size! Finger picking sounds great and strumming is pretty good too! It's a quite attractive little travel/couch guitar! I might even put a pick guard on it.

20190619_145642.jpg
Old 06-19-2019, 04:11 PM

Might want to think twice about a pick guard....they can muffle. Play it for a while first.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
Might want to think twice about a pick guard....they can muffle. Play it for a while first.
Yeah, I was kind of joking about that. But it really is a lot of fun to play!
Old 06-19-2019, 07:08 PM

Like everyone else, I could not resist and ordered one today. Of course, I had a reason---tomorrow is my birthday and I reasoned with myself that it was a birthday gift to myself! I can't believe how fast the shipping appears to be as I almost never get things overnight. My tracking informations says it will be here tomorrow night, just in time for birthday cake! For those of you that have ordered one, have you let it sit in the box for any length of time to acclimate or did you unpack it right away?
Old 06-19-2019, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx2Pinocci View Post
Like everyone else, I could not resist and ordered one today. Of course, I had a reason---tomorrow is my birthday and I reasoned with myself that it was a birthday gift to myself! I can't believe how fast the shipping appears to be as I almost never get things overnight. My tracking informations says it will be here tomorrow night, just in time for birthday cake! For those of you that have ordered one, have you let it sit in the box for any length of time to acclimate or did you unpack it right away?
I did not.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Good size for my 7 yo Grandaughter?

Hey folks. I’m considering ordering one for my 7yo granddaughter first guitar. I can see all the specs and think the body size and scale length will work (I can always go even lighter strings or silk and steel for less tension), but wondering if the nut width is still small enough for her...? It sounds like the neck profile is nice and slim....in a good way. What do u think?
Old 06-21-2019, 06:53 PM

gmel555, I think the nut width would be very comfortable for a 7 year old girl. In fact I think this guitar would be a great fit. I am a tiny woman--just 5 foot and with small hands. I bought this guitar because I prefer smaller guitars for playing comfort. For me I have to pay attention to certain specs of any guitar---the nut width, the neck profile (depth), the scale, the lower bout and the body depth make a difference. The depth is important to me as my arms are short---proportionate to my body but since I am short, they are short! So my reach is not the same as a taller man with longer arms who can wrap around a dread body much more comfortably. Sometimes it can be uncomfortable playing for a long time as it feels like I am stretching a distance! But I digress---back to your question. I found the nut width and fretboard to be very comfortable on this guitar. The neck profile is slim and comfortable for my tiny hands. Ditto the depth--no stretching problems with this beauty! The lower bout is great too. The sound is a little thin however---I was surprised at that because of the great reviews. But I do think the guitar would be good to get your granddaughter started.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx2Pinocci View Post
gmel555, I think the nut width would be very comfortable for a 7 year old girl......I do think the guitar would be good to get your granddaughter started.
Pinocci: Thank you very much for your full, thoughtful response and I'll probably go ahead with it. I didn't mention I considered that some think young children are better off starting with nylon but I'm still thinking the short scale with some silk and steel would work at first.

(PS - To the OP and others: please forgive if I've hi-jacked the thread a bit, feel free to ignore my side question of course...Thanks again Pinocci!)
Old 06-22-2019, 06:23 AM

I put 11 gauge strings on her and its fine...try 11 gauge silk and steels should be ok or 11gauge silk and bronze john pearse. not sure how 10 guage would be, might work too for your seven year old. Size wise, its a good fit.
Martin Custom Shop OO big leaf maple/alpine spruce
Old 06-22-2019, 06:40 AM

There is one with a Natural top in local store. The price is pretty good so they it also be discounted. On Tuesday, I played it. It is really easy to play but I think the strings are really old so it did not shine.I then tried a Taylor GS e-Mini KOA and Taylor GS e-Mini Walnut. The Taylor GS e-Mini Walnut sounded fantastic. However, it is almost double to price of the Fender PM-TE. For now I decided to hold off but still might pull the trigger because I like the hard shell case and how easily it played.

https://www.facebook.com/RichardsBluesBand
https://www.facebook.com/RichardAbbuhlMusic

Richard's Blue Band on Spotify
Richard Abbuhl on Spotify
RichardAbbuhl.com

Last edited by rabbuhl; 06-22-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbuhl View Post
There is one with a Natural top in local store. The price is pretty good so they it also be discounted. On Tuesday, I played it. It is really easy to play but I think the strings are really old so it did not shine.I then tried a Taylor GS e-Mini KOA and Taylor GS e-Mini Walnut. The Taylor GS e-Mini Walnut sounded fantastic. However, it is almost double to price of the Fender PM-TE. For now I decided to hold off but still might pull the trigger because I like the hard shell case and how easily it played.
I put Put a set of Martin retro nickles and she sounds great...

also a great side benefit is I could never really play clean barr chords on a guitar..
I just sucked at bar chords..
on this guitar, it seems easier for me...and they sound cleaner

Last edited by Guitartanzon; 06-23-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:05 AM

Well. I tried to resist for three days, but to no avail. Just ordered the mahogany one from zzsounds. Too good a deal to pass up. Had been wanting a nicer parlor anyway.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:52 PM

Mine, mahogany from zzsounds, arrived this morning. Flawless, nicely set up. Plays great and sounds nice. Looks beautiful and nicely made.

I am a big fan of smaller bodied guitars and mahogany tops. Been playing it lot since it arrived, a joy to play.

All solid wood, nice HSC and a free humidifier made this a great deal. Thanks to the OP for the head's up.
Old 06-27-2019, 03:23 PM

your most welcome..

really enjoying this small guitar...
its hard to put down...

giving me confidence to work on my barr chords...seems easier for me on this guitar...

I like the martin retro nickel strings i put on her....to my ears anyway..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion