The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-12-2019, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Default changing tuners on AP66 today ... any tips?

So I've decided today is the day.
I've had my Alvarez AP66 (all mahogany) for a couple months now, and I love it - she's a keeper for sure ... the only shortcoming I can find is the tuners.
So I snagged a set of Grover drop-in replacements from Stew-Mac, had Grover send me the shorter screws (as recommended by others), and I'm ready to do the deed.
So I ask the brain trust here on AGF if there are any tips or tricks or anything I should know before I begin.
It looks pretty straightforward, but being a noob to guitar upgrades / repairs, thought it might be prudent to ask ...

Thanks!

~ Paul
Old 05-12-2019, 08:05 AM

Don’t forget to take string off first..

But seriously it’s very easy to swap tuners. Take your time and it will be fine.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Highly recommend not using a power screwdriver. I snapped a screw off and had to take it to Gryphon and salvage it and not have it look like crap digging the screw out. I was lucky but never again with a power screw driver
Old 05-13-2019, 08:57 PM
Dan - Charter Member

I replaced mine with probably the same tuners. There were finish drips inside the holes that I scoured out with a 1/4" drill bit. You don't need the bushings that come with the tuners. The tuner holes in mine were not quite perpendicular to the headstock on one side, which made the old tuners bind a lot, and the new ones bind a little. I had to put washers under one side to tilt them slightly. I think that's an unusual problem that you probably won't have.

Full details here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=333862
Old 05-13-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
I replaced mine with probably the same tuners. There were finish drips inside the holes that I scoured out with a 1/4" drill bit. You don't need the bushings that come with the tuners. The tuner holes in mine were not quite perpendicular to the headstock on one side, which made the old tuners bind a lot, and the new ones bind a little. I had to put washers under one side to tilt them slightly. I think that's an unusual problem that you probably won't have.

Full details here: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=333862

Wouldn’t it have been a better install if you redrilled the tuner holes to correct their alignment and installed the included bushings?
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
Wouldn’t it have been a better install if you redrilled the tuner holes to correct their alignment and installed the included bushings?
Sure, it would have been better, but I have no jig or other arrangement to re-drill the holes. The bushings were not necessary and are much bigger than the existing holes. My AP70 is a $200 factory restock -- it sounds great and the tuners work fine now, even if it wasn't so elegant.

We're talking dining-room table workbench here. It's the beer-can shim from Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair