The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-14-2019, 12:18 PM

Default Which Pedal would be best for my setup?

First of all, I am a complete novice when it comes to pedals. What would be a good pedal to use with a Fishman Presys Blend guitar preamp in my BlueRidge Br-140ce(D-18 copy)? I would like to improve that quacky, shrill UST sound, and get a more full, cleaner sound with added depth. My current setup is the BlueRidge acoustic with built in presys blend preamp, ran into the Soundcraft 12mtk mixer, then out to a single Behringer B212D 12" 550w powered speaker.

What are y'all using for a good pedal, and what would you recommend? Thanks!

2014 Blueridge BR-140CE Solid Sitka Spruce Top/Solid Mahogany Back and Sides

2008 Takamine EG440C-Transparent Black Quilted Maple(Campfire Guitar)

2007 Blueridge BR-43 Solid Sitka Spruce Top/Mahogany Back and Sides
Old 07-14-2019, 03:20 PM

I’d rather spend money for a Schatten HFN pickup.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:31 PM

Not cheap at all, but has done a good job for me "killing the piezo quack" is the LR Baggs Para DI. There is a lot of tone shaping. The box is built like a tank, looks outdated, runs off a 9v (which lasts a long time) or phantom power. I hear some people talk about the Body Rez by TC Electronic. I have an Acoustic Play pedal that has that and it seems to be decent at taming the quack.

In your boat, without changing pickups, and if you don't mind spending the $$$ from everything I have read, I bet a Tonedexter by Audio Sprockets would do the trick, but for $400, I'd be looking at another guitar and/or pickup.

So in closing, I guess this largely depends on how much $ you're planning on spending. I know a $400 pedal seems crazy to get a guitar to sound good.

That is why when I bought my first guitar I knew I'd be plugging in, I paid a little extra for one with a pickup system already in it that I was ecstatic about.

Chasing plugged in tone is a deep, deep, deep rabbit hole...
Old 07-14-2019, 03:37 PM

A Para Acoustics DI (PADI) works fine for quieting a quack and adding tone control. The pros for that pedal for me is that it's built solid, analogue controls, battery or phantom powered, been around for a long time and is still around, improves the sound, loop function, and is a DI. The con is where the XLR plugs in., even though I've never had a problem with it's location, I know others have.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 07-14-2019, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

The ToneDexter is the best thing going for taming the piezo quack. Amazing device. If you like the acoustic sound of your guitar, then the ToneDexter will make the amplified sound almost exactly like the acoustic sound.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

I'd suggest that you invest your money in a better sounding pickup, something that you won't NEED to have an external preamp or device to try to make it sound better...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-14-2019, 05:35 PM

+1 on the TC Electronic Body Rez.
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper
Old 07-14-2019, 10:27 PM

Thanks everyone. Would love to have a Tonedexter, but it just isn't in the budget at this time. Looks like it will be between the Bodyrez and Boss AD-2. I have read great reviews of both. Anybody here do a comparison between the two? If so, which do you prefer?

Old 07-15-2019, 03:06 AM

either of those would help. as would a simple di between guitar and mixer .I suspect you have an impedance mismatch.
welcome to the rabbit hole.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
The ToneDexter is the best thing going for taming the piezo quack. Amazing device. If you like the acoustic sound of your guitar, then the ToneDexter will make the amplified sound almost exactly like the acoustic sound.
This... 100%
Old 07-15-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by transm View Post
Thanks everyone. Would love to have a Tonedexter, but it just isn't in the budget at this time. Looks like it will be between the Bodyrez and Boss AD-2. I have read great reviews of both. Anybody here do a comparison between the two? If so, which do you prefer?
I was on this same hunt a little while ago and decided to dive into my current EQ options a bit more to solve the problem with the tools I already own. A Tonedexter is a nice "maybe in a year or two" item on my list.

As for Bodyrez vs. AD2, there are two good videos out on YouTube that discuss this very comparison.

https://youtu.be/Y6gbHjS3j2I

https://youtu.be/U-CFCOphKQ4
Old 07-15-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wissen View Post
I was on this same hunt a little while ago and decided to dive into my current EQ options a bit more to solve the problem with the tools I already own. A Tonedexter is a nice "maybe in a year or two" item on my list.

As for Bodyrez vs. AD2, there are two good videos out on YouTube that discuss this very comparison.

https://youtu.be/Y6gbHjS3j2I

https://youtu.be/U-CFCOphKQ4
I started getting to the point where I realized I'd be chasing this around for months, and probably spend more than what the TD wold cost.

it was a bullet to bite, but I bit it..
Old 07-15-2019, 01:25 PM

I use the Acoustic Resonance feature from Boss (but through the VE-8), and it certainly helps the overall tone and I could comfortably recommend it to improve a piezo pickup. Can’t comment on it vs body-Rez though.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:46 PM

How does everyone like the Boss VE-8 that Ten mentioned above? I could use it for both guitar and vocals if I wanted.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Since someone mentioned the Bodyrez, I've owned and sold it and have the Boss AD2. I prefer the AD2, but lots of people prefer the Bodyrez. If you can, try them both.

Another option and far less expensive is the Behringer ADi21. It's $30, is built well and has semi parametric eq and a Blend control which blends in some tube-like compression.

Good luck

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification