The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-10-2019, 04:25 PM

I use a compression pedal as a booster for single note lead solos. Largely improvised and covered electric guitar parts as my duo is playing mostly classic rock. The compressor gives me a boost volume control, a boost tone control to take a little of the highs out, and a bit more sustain.

I just got the Baggs Align Session yesterday and A-B tested it against my Boss CS-3 an hour ago. I have a one set gig Saturday to give it the real test. So far I think in this application it is nicely better sounding than the CS-3. I played for a while and ended up with the compression and saturation knobs at 12 o'clock. I like the input gain knob with a clip LED combined with a single knob compressor control (similar to a Fishman ToneDEQ or a Yamaha mixer). This is the antithesis of the Cali76's plethora of knobs.

I tried seeing if turning the compression and saturation down did something I liked for strumming, not my intended usage, but nothing earth shaking happened for me so far.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 07-11-2019, 08:20 AM

Plus one on the Diamond optical compressor for acoustic. I also use a Bogner Lyndhurst compressor as well as the built in comp on my Fishman Pro EQ.

It depends on your purpose. I tend to use mine in two ways. Like Jonfields45 I will use it as a solo boost in which case transparency isn't as big of a concern. Usually I want a different tone for single note lines with more midrange than I would use for strumming.

The other use is too provide a more natural "feel" when the acoustics of the room and speaker system are working against me. For that' the Fishman's comp works the best and if I'm really ambitious the FMR audio Really Nice Compressor works very well. It's not a pedal and a bit tweaky if you aren't familiar with how a full featured compressor works.

The aforementioned is for live purposes. For recording I use an Emperical Labs Distressor but that's an expensive studio piece of gear that I wouldn't recommend unless you do a lot of recording.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:27 AM

Default Ruby II (Compressor)

One of my favorite compressors (I prefer it over the Keeley because it's quieter) is the Ruby II. It's made by Doc Music Station out of France, but it's fantastic. Even when turned up full it's not squishy.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:03 PM

I use a Mooer Yellow Comp as an "always on" effect. It is supposed to be a Diamond Compressor clone for about one third the price. The only thing I don't like about it is that as a mini pedal a couple of the knobs are pretty tiny and hard to see to adjust. I play in an acoustic duo where I play chords most of the time but do the occasional lead and the compressor helps even out the volume.
Old 07-14-2019, 06:35 AM

I gigged yesterday using the Baggs Align as my boost pedal going into a Boss GE7 and then directly to our CP8 high and behind.

The good: it did not have any of the compression artifacts that my Boss CS-3 requires tweaking to get to sound right to me.

The not good/bad: I found myself turning up the compression EQ and saturation trying to get my high E string to sound fuller. I'm not sure if what I am hunting for is in its wheel house or if I needed to go further. I'm going to set the CP8 up on a stand today with its EQ set flat (normally its on the floor with monitor EQ at home) and do some exploration.

The bad: I think since it is true bypass and I am using a passive HFN (essentially just a capacitor) charge builds up when the Align is bypassed (maybe the bias network from the Boss EQ pedal input) and I am getting a fairly loud click when I first turn it on after being off for a song or so. Rapid on/off cycling does not reproduce that click.

I still feel it has potential and I might need to put a resistor across its input or output. I'll report back if anyone is interested.

Jon Fields
Old 07-31-2019, 05:57 PM

Before I switched to the AD10, I used a Diamond compressor (the yellow one, I forget the name). Superb bit of kit. The Cali 76 (the full size one) is a remarkable unit too, gorgeous tone.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 08-01-2019, 08:19 AM

I now use a boss CP-1X. It works great with Taylor guitars.
Old 08-01-2019, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

oops never mind. just read your latest post @jonfields45

Last edited by jricc; 08-01-2019 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Deleted post
Old 08-02-2019, 05:53 PM

I use a Wampler Ego. It sounds great and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. The separate attack and sustain controls as well as tone and blend make it versatile without being too complicated.

I’m sure there are better compressors out there, but this is where I landed on the cost:benefit scale.

2018 Furch D31TSR
2008 Martin OMCRE
1992 Takamine EAN20C
1996 Fender Telecaster w/ Barden Nashville set
1986 Charvel Model 5
2005 Art & Lutherie Ami
1980ish Hohner copy of a 'burst
Old 08-03-2019, 04:17 AM

I'm using a Keeley GC-2, but only to boost and level solos, otherwise it's off.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:08 AM

How about overdrive pedals that also do the compression (or at least limiting)? Like a tube amp. Any recommendations?

I think Fishman (and others) should start adding a compressor to their on-board pre-amp systems.

Edit: Anyone with experience using the Positive Grid BIAS Distortion Twin with acoustic guitar? I should have both compression and a lot of different overdrives.

Last edited by Per Burström; 08-05-2019 at 01:53 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:41 AM

The Fishman ToneDeq has an excellent compressor which has its adjustment range nicely set to acoustic guitar compatible settings. I find that compressors intended for electric guitars have a very narrow setting of their controls which sound good and are difficult to adjust at a gig.

I ended up returning the Baggs Align Session. It was good for a subtle improvement but could not deliver the level of compression I was looking for as a single note lead boost pedal.

Lately I'm back to using a Zoom G1four. The Zoom effects are good (including several different compressor emulations), digital settings that can't be knocked out of place in my gig bag, and four top side knobs to be easily adjusted at a gig (master vol/treble/middle/bass).

Jon Fields
Old 08-05-2019, 07:07 AM

Good transparent compressor is imho essential for acoustic guitar sound.
If you understand theory of compression and want to spend couple of hours with detailed settings in editor, then TC Hypergravity (multiband compressor) could be perfect (and cheap) choice.
On the other hand, OKKO CocaComp (or very similar Demeter Compulator), is practically one knob solution (second knob is volume) so super easy and great.
I tried many comps from toplist of ovnilab (always satisfied) - http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/toppicks.shtml

And why? Perfect practical explanation from Paul Davis

Old 08-05-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
I now use a Boss CP-1X. It works great with Taylor guitars.
I just ordered one of these to try out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification