The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-02-2019, 01:17 PM

Default Wipe on poly finish

Has anyone used this product or similar?

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_an...ly_Finish.html

I'm looking for an alternative to spraying nitro and I wonder if this would work. It's for an acoustic guitar, mahogany neck, spruce top, granadillo back and sides.

Also I wonder if any grain filler would work with it, like pumice (as in classical guitars) and if it could be stained.

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2019, 02:06 PM

I have used Minwax satin Wipe On Poly extensively for finishing furniture. It doesn't smell very nice, but does produce a nice finish. It isn't the look that I go for on instruments, but it could certainly work. Easily applied with a soft cloth, fast drying, minimal sanding/levelling required. It could be used with the pore filler of your choice. A fraction of the price of Stew Mac's water-based wipe on poly, which I have not tried.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 06-02-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:41 PM

John Hall on the kitguitars forum has been experimenting with finishes that beginners can use successfully. He got a very nice finish out of MinWax Wipe-OnPoly, gloss. He polished on a powered buffer.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:14 PM

I have used Pour-n-wipe from Mohawk Finish with great success on my banjo.

I use it over shellac on table tops.

https://www.mohawk-finishing.com/pro...n-wipe-finish/

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:36 AM

Thanks everyone! Will check the suggested products!
Old 06-03-2019, 11:19 AM

It will work to put a finish on the guitar. It will not look like a good nitrocellulose finish.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:02 PM

I know but nitro is so toxic you really need a special place, even if you use spray cans, which I have used with good results. So I am considering any alternatives.
Any suggestion is welcome
Old 06-03-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodriguezcros View Post
I know but nitro is so toxic you really need a special place, even if you use spray cans, which I have used with good results. So I am considering any alternatives.
Any suggestion is welcome
Wipe on poly is toxic too. You might want to look into Tru-Oil which is also a wipe on varnish. And then there are the water base finishes if you dare to try them, they are probably the least toxic. The other non toxic alternative is good ole' tried and true shellac.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:17 PM

TruOil has been used with some success.

et al
Old 06-03-2019, 02:23 PM

Thanks redir. I have tried shellac before with good results... most of the times. I have had problems with this finish due to heat and humidity where I live (Spain), and also I would like something more scratch-resistant. I have read about tru-oil as well but it's not very hard either, is it? I might give it a try though.
Old 06-03-2019, 02:26 PM

That looks good, Rodger. Do you apply it directly onto the wood? Is it as delicate as shellac?
Old 06-03-2019, 03:37 PM

In 2004 I found out that I had Hep-C and just couldn't spray Nitro any longer. I tried a few of the water base finishes and was never happy with the finish. So I started working with Shellac. I tried Royal Lac but was having trouble with it cracking so I decided to try french polishing and I haven't looked back. It did chase away a couple of clients because they were just to rough on the guitars. The folks that get a guitar from me now know my story and realize that they have to be a bit more loving with their guitars. The finish is as pretty as nitro and I sincerely believe my guitars sound better now that I french polish them. Once you get the hang of it it becomes kind of a Zin thing. I love doing it. Well that enough of my ramblings.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfelty View Post
In 2004 I found out that I had Hep-C and just couldn't spray Nitro any longer. I tried a few of the water base finishes and was never happy with the finish. So I started working with Shellac. I tried Royal Lac but was having trouble with it cracking so I decided to try french polishing and I haven't looked back. It did chase away a couple of clients because they were just to rough on the guitars. The folks that get a guitar from me now know my story and realize that they have to be a bit more loving with their guitars. The finish is as pretty as nitro and I sincerely believe my guitars sound better now that I french polish them. Once you get the hang of it it becomes kind of a Zin thing. I love doing it. Well that enough of my ramblings.
Thanks for your story Thomas. I agree the look of shellac is so beautiful.
Old 06-03-2019, 06:56 PM

I've used Minwax Wipe on Gloss Poly for guitar necks. It's a favorite of mine for a quick finish...like refinishing a maple fretboard while the frets are off. Self-levels so it's real easy to work with.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:20 PM

Jorge, the only special place you really need for spraying nitrocellulose is a place outdoors and without wind. Wear a mask with organic vapor cartridges and change them regularly. A spray room is a great convenience, but not a necessity.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair