The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-31-2014, 08:25 PM

Default B-Band 2.2

Why is there no love here for the B-Band 2.2 system. I put one in my 79 Yamaha 12 string and it seems great. So far I've played it through my cheapy Harbinger PA cab with an alesis mixer, and. Bose L1 II. Great feedback rejection, smooth natural tone and it was inexpensive, $80 on eBay.

Thoughts?
Old 03-31-2014, 08:28 PM

I've been very happy with mine, in my Larrivee LV03 -- my only criticism of it is that it doesn't seem to have the volume output of some other systems I've heard. And it's a bit of a pain to change the battery, having to loosen up at least three strings! But I've had great luck with it and really like the ability to blend the sources, although I know many other pickups offer that as well.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 04-01-2014, 09:41 AM

There really isn't much love for b-band.

What gives?
Old 04-01-2014, 12:35 PM

For what its worth, there was one AGF member who raved about the A2.2 a few years back.

More recently, an AGF member was complaining that his recently iBeam-equipped guitar didn't amplify as well, and wasn't nearly as feedback resistant, as his Alvarez guitar with the "barn door" equivalent of the A2.2. (sys650, or some such name). I advised him that he could replace the iBeam with the A2.2, but he seemed set on trying something else.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:38 PM

I think the main reason there doesn't seem to be much love for B-Band is that they're a European company and just aren't very common in the US.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:51 PM

I have the 2.2 system in my Santa Cruz OM/PW gigging guitar. I play this guitar heavily and when I purchased a Martin CEO-7 a few weeks ago I started looking into getting a K&K or D-Tar or Baggs etc. I wanted to try something different because of all the good reviews but in the end I bought another A2.2 system because I know it and I love it and why mess with something I know I like.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:12 PM

My big reservation about the A2.2 is that the crossover frequency is around 800Hz. While the B-Band UST is a pretty decent UST, as UST's go (I've had quite a few B-Band UST-equipped guitars), I don't care to have it supplying that much of the signal. The crossover frequency of my Anthem SL is 250Hz, so the Anthem system's Tru Mic supplies all the frequencies over 250Hz. The A2.2's AST only supplies all, or some, of the frequencies above 800Hz (depending on where the blend control is set).

To be fair, I haven't tried the A2.2. I don't know for sure that I'd like it less than the Anthem SL. I'm just explaining my reasoning as to why I suspect that I'd like it less.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:57 PM

I have had B Band and I think they do sound great. The UTS component can be a pain to balance strings depending on your guitar. The pickup is much more pressure sensitive and can lead to hot strings etc. I experienced this with the low E, could fix it with paper under the saddle, but a pain. Not to say that it wasn't partly my guitar, but most UST would not be this sensitive to pressure differences.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 04-01-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:12 PM

I had one in a Larrivee - buzzed quite badly, no matter what I did or where I played. Contacted B-band in the USA and they sold me a pre-amp board to fix the problem. Still buzzed; even outside the guitar. Told them about it and they sent me and entire new system........Installed THAT one in a new custom with the same result.

I know it was only three systems but......the line noise was from the B-Band - confirmed by two luthiers.

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Journey travel guitar in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."
Old 04-01-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
My big reservation about the A2.2 is that the crossover frequency is around 800Hz. While the B-Band UST is a pretty decent UST, as UST's go (I've had quite a few B-Band UST-equipped guitars), I don't care to have it supplying that much of the signal. The crossover frequency of my Anthem SL is 250Hz, so the Anthem system's Tru Mic supplies all the frequencies over 250Hz. The A2.2's AST only supplies all, or some, of the frequencies above 800Hz (depending on where the blend control is set).

To be fair, I haven't tried the A2.2. I don't know for sure that I'd like it less than the Anthem SL. I'm just explaining my reasoning as to why I suspect that I'd like it less.
I find that the UST rolling off above 800 works really well. It filters out the harsh highs and they mix in the highs from the AST.

Edit, remember the UST isn't piezo so you don't need to pull so much of the highs out.

Last edited by Bob-I; 04-01-2014 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I have had B Band and I think they do sound great. The UTS component can be a pain to balance strings depending on your guitar. The pickup is much more pressure sensitive and can lead to hot strings etc. I experienced this with the low E, could fix it with paper under the saddle, but a pain. Not to say that it wasn't partly my guitar, but most UST would not be this sensitive to pressure differences.
I didn't have much trouble getting it to balance, maybe just a tad more than a piezo UST. I spent quite a bit of time on the saddle making sure its perfectly flat and makes solid contact, no small feat with a 12 string, I had to take the strings off maybe 8-10 times, I only broke one.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwskaggs View Post
I had one in a Larrivee - buzzed quite badly, no matter what I did or where I played. Contacted B-band in the USA and they sold me a pre-amp board to fix the problem. Still buzzed; even outside the guitar. Told them about it and they sent me and entire new system........Installed THAT one in a new custom with the same result.

I know it was only three systems but......the line noise was from the B-Band - confirmed by two luthiers.
That bites. Mine is dead silent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification