The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-26-2013, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Default Oasis strings for Ukes

i've been enjoying doing a review of some Oasis strings on my Ukes.
previously my go to brands were Worth and Daddario T2, but i have to tell you, the Oasis Tenor set has won me over hands down.

smooth, less tension feel, bell quality notes, and each string vibrates thru the neck without feeling i'm pulling the note out with effort.

currently the set i've worked up for an all koa slothead Kanilea and sitka/sapele Breedlove tenors, in high G tuned GCEA:

.023/.030/.027/021

a plus is that the strings tune up quick and hold tuning seemingly overnite. very very nice strings. i play primarily fingerstyle.

thanks to Dave Hepple for the opportunity to participate in this test review.

check'm out
d
Old 06-28-2013, 06:49 PM

I wonder how they compare to Worth. Cheaper, and you do get length enough for 2 changes with these as well.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:10 AM

Interesting although I'm a bit confused by the combination of "less tension" and "bell quality tone"--the two don't normally go hand in hand with uke strings, which get rather rubbery sounding when they are lower tension. In any event I'll have to try some of the Oasis strings. It will take much convincing to make me stop using the Worth CH (extra hard tension) strings. As a fingerstyle ukist and a fan of Jake's tone, these have proven to be the best by far. Great feel, fast attack, long sustain, low noise for recording, and balanced tone.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 07-01-2013, 04:28 PM

I'm very interested in the string thing, as I'm building my first tenor:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageUke1.html

I'm very interested in what some think the "best" strings are, and why. With banjos, I've found Aquila to be very nice for synthetics. How do the Aquila Reds rate? Where do you folks purchase your strings?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Interesting although I'm a bit confused by the combination of "less tension" and "bell quality tone"--the two don't normally go hand in hand with uke strings, which get rather rubbery sounding when they are lower tension. In any event I'll have to try some of the Oasis strings. It will take much convincing to make me stop using the Worth CH (extra hard tension) strings. As a fingerstyle ukist and a fan of Jake's tone, these have proven to be the best by far. Great feel, fast attack, long sustain, low noise for recording, and balanced tone.
have to agree that my past with nylon/flurocarbon strings for Flamenco/Uke and a feeling of "less tension" tend to end up feeling too loose, too rubbery, and lose the sharp note quality that i like.

i've used Daddario(nylon/T2), Worth(brown, clear CT/CH, CF), aquila,and PHD(daniel ho's). The oasis research set i've been experimenting with offers improvements on every Tenor Uke i've put them on(Willie Wixom, Breedlove, Kanilea). To me they offer a very nice bell quality sound, smooth play, "feeling" of less tension than the Worth CH. they feel most close to the Worth CT, but to my ears offer a more clear note quality over the whole fretboard.

The set most close to the Oasis, to my ears, are the PHD Tenor set-very very close in sound, with the PHD "feeling" a little more taunt.

d
Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
I wonder how they compare to Worth. Cheaper, and you do get length enough for 2 changes with these as well.
Neal

Dave is still deciding on the set is my understanding. There's a couple folks involved in a string test review and we are offering up what we feel we like best. I don't know what final cost or length will be.

i'll try to remember and come back here and post an update when the final set is decided upon with the specs for the set(length, cost, etc).

d

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments