The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-15-2014, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Is the Bad Cat more expensive than the Princeton? I'm already having trouble justifying the Princeton seeing that I'm an acoustic guitarist who just wants an electric for recording. I played an electric as a teenager, but I'm rusty these days on single note runs. It would be nice, though, to hear an electric guitar played through a decent amp.
Buy the Princeton. It's a well respected classic. The 1968 Fender will hold it's value much better than many of the other brands mentioned. Just check the condition, original is best of course. If it sounds good, buy it.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Is the Bad Cat more expensive than the Princeton? I'm already having trouble justifying the Princeton seeing that I'm an acoustic guitarist who just wants an electric for recording. I played an electric as a teenager, but I'm rusty these days on single note runs. It would be nice, though, to hear an electric guitar played through a decent amp.
Yes, depending where you buy it, it would be double or a little more than double. It's boutique, hand built, etc. It is well worth the money, but it's probably a lot more than you want to spend.

Bang for the buck, you'd probably be better off with the Princeton. If I had the room, I wouldn't mind having one myself. I don't think the Princeton would be as loud as the Bad Cat either, which is probably a good thing for you too.
PRS electrics and bass, Taylor Cocobolo BTO GS, K26e Koa,412CE-N FLTD, 214ce dlx and 254ce dlx acoustic guitars; Vintage Sound Vintage 20, Bad Cat Cub II & III R, Carr Raleigh, Fender Supersonic 22, Univox, Fishman Loudbox 100 & Mini, and Mark Bass amps

In music, one must think with his heart and feel with his brain.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:27 AM

Like Steve, I've had the Bugera V22 (you can get them cheap used on CL at times...wish I still had mine) and I now have the Carvin Vintage 16 I just picked up the other day. I'm back to playing electric and I don't need a backbreaker.

The Carvin V16 is the lightest weight 16w amp you'll find anywhere with a 12" speaker in it (and reverb, mine is the slightly older one with the reverb tank...not digital). I love the Carvin. I've had it less than a week, but (as a tech) it does well with pedals. I'm also going to do most of the mods suggested in the user community on the Carvin site to get it a bit more chimey, etc.

That Bugera had tone...it also is a very weighty cabinet. I may end up creating an effects loop in my Carvin...taking the extra tube it gives back and adding it to the preamp chain to mimic the Bugera circuit.

Brad

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 03-17-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersbw View Post
Like Steve, I've had the Bugera V22 (you can get them cheap used on CL at times...wish I still had mine) and I now have the Carvin Vintage 16 I just picked up the other day. I'm back to playing electric and I don't need a backbreaker.

The Carvin V16 is the lightest weight 16w amp you'll find anywhere with a 12" speaker in it (and reverb, mine is the slightly older one with the reverb tank...not digital). I love the Carvin. I've had it less than a week, but (as a tech) it does well with pedals. I'm also going to do most of the mods suggested in the user community on the Carvin site to get it a bit more chimey, etc.

That Bugera had tone...it also is a very weighty cabinet. I may end up creating an effects loop in my Carvin...taking the extra tube it gives back and adding it to the preamp chain to mimic the Bugera circuit.

Brad
My Vintage 16 had the famed Carvin guy do a mod. Kind of a mid range pot. It also has an awesome speaker upgrade, Celest 70 Ann. I just love tat amp so much. I have other more respected amps in Rivera, Laney, THD, Dr Z, but the Carvin get out the most. That amp does everything
Old 03-17-2014, 12:39 PM

Yeah, I got my Carvin with trades on CL. Everyone that sees it swears it must only have a 10 in it. lol...it is the perfect size gigging amp. The Bugera I had was not only weighty...the cabinet was boxy...so, leverage & awkwardness was still an issue.

Haven't made up my mind which mods i'll do, but i will be comparing the Bugera & Carvin schematics and seeing how close am to a conversion. :P

Old 03-17-2014, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

If your a bit handy, check out Allen amps. You can get them fully assembled or as a kit. They are top quality and modelled after Fender amps. I built a Sweet Spot, great amp.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersbw View Post

Brad

Hey Brad - Saw this thread and your recommendation to me on the V22 popped immediately to mind. FWIW, I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for one to show up on CL out here. Hope you're doing well. - Scott

PS - any update on an amp build class?

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha
Old 03-18-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_kabong View Post
Hey Brad - Saw this thread and your recommendation to me on the V22 popped immediately to mind...FWIW, I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for one to show up on CL out here...
Unless you're prepared to take on someone else's headache I wouldn't touch any used V22/V55 amps on Craigslist, for any reason. In case you're not aware the earliest production (pre-2010) had some well-known bugs, which basically saddled Bugera with a bad rep they're just about beginning to live down; considering you can pick up a brand-new one for about $300 on coupon day at your local GC/Sam Ash - and you'll spend considerably more for anything with comparable features - IMO it's not worth the risk. Nice little amp BTW, and a good set of tubes/speaker swap will give you $1500+ tone for ~$500 - beat it if you can...
Old 03-18-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Unless you're prepared to take on someone else's headache I wouldn't touch any used V22/V55 amps on Craigslist, for any reason. In case you're not aware the earliest production (pre-2010) had some well-known bugs, which basically saddled Bugera with a bad rep they're just about beginning to live down; considering you can pick up a brand-new one for about $300 on coupon day at your local GC/Sam Ash - and you'll spend considerably more for anything with comparable features - IMO it's not worth the risk. Nice little amp BTW, and a good set of tubes/speaker swap will give you $1500+ tone for ~$500 - beat it if you can...
Thanks Steve, good advice. I do believe that I'd heard of some early issues, thanks for the reminder.

'98 Martin HD-28VR, '98 Bourgeois Martin Simpson European, '98 Collings CJmha
Old 03-19-2014, 12:10 PM

Any Princeton would be great. Classic Fender sound!
Old 04-02-2014, 02:00 PM

Steve - yep, I heard that. Really, they took a beating on a tube socket issue on one of their heads, too. (Can't remember which one) I will certainly now stand by my Carvin recommendation. It's been apart..on the bench...mods made. Two were the Hasse mods...one of my own. To the original poster...that Carvin Vintage 16 is a sweet amp as-is. You'll just want a pedal for extreme gain. But, it is SO portable.

That said, I jumpered a couple components in the first gain stage to increase the gain to the second stage. Next, I did remove the negative feedback components, but you are creating an antenna circuit into the other half of the phase inverter, so I took that 3.3K resistor to ground (short across it). This third mod was my own. I removed the typical master volume control...did the Hasse short there in the pot pcb connection to keep signal flow. Then I parked the master JUST after the EQ section, but before the phase inverter. Reason being...it was fast and required no components not already in the amp. I used the same 1M pot turned sideways in the same chassis hole. Results??? LOTS of clean chimey character. I love it. In the gain channel it has plenty of punchy crunch that sounds wonderful.

I really couldn't ask for anything more of this amp unless I did what I hinted at earlier and that was to actually pull out the reverb tank and use that tube to add two more gain stages. But, I have the slightly older one with the tank...(vs digital) and it does sound good. But, should a TC Flashback pedal ever fall into my hands...or a Hall of Fame 'verb...I might be game for it. Then, I'd likely 'Badcat' the pre with 4 stages and clone the Badcat X-Treme Tone pedal there (which is a mod of the Hotcat pre...minus the 5th gain stage).

Last - the only thing about he amp that really bugged me...? The chassis is electrically open. Pull it out and there's no shielding. So, I took some aluminum foil duct tape and installed a few strips on the inside top of the chassis.

How do I know that worked as far as noise? Well...when I first tested (after mods)...I took a short 1/4-1/4 and plugged in. Was met with a low modest buzz...(sounded like typical CFL noise)...then a nice local CB'er chimed in. I took it out...did the neg. feedback resistor short to negate the antenna...and foil shielded it...the buzz dropped about 80% in volume. Hehehe...yanking the speaker cable I had used and appropriately using an INSTRUMENT cable took care of all the remaining buzz. lol, problem "solved"

So, yes...even brand new that Carvin is just below $400. Grab one!

BradM

Old 04-02-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I'm beginning to think it might be time to invest in a good electric amp. I'm currently looking at a Fender '68 12-watt Princeton Reverb. I play at home for my own pleasure and for recording. Do you think this amp is good for that, or might you have some other suggestions?
I would go for one of the little lunchbox amps and a separate cab. A couple that come to mind that I like are the Vox Night Train and the Mesa Transatlantic. Plenty of choice in tones.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification