The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2020, 01:16 PM

Default Yamaha atmosfeel

Would be great to hear some reviews on Yamahas new atmosfeel system. On paper it looks great. Anyone tried it yet? Maybe compare it to some similar systems like anthem.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:56 PM

I know Aaron has tried it. He was quite impressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbeck View Post
Would be great to hear some reviews on Yamahas new atmosfeel system. On paper it looks great. Anyone tried it yet? Maybe compare it to some similar systems like anthem.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:48 PM

I posted a YT video when I first got my FGX5. Even without the mic blended in, the sound direct into a PA sounds more natural than most UST pickups. As you blend in the mic, dialing in a better tone is fairly easy, but feedback can be an issue, unless you use the supplied soundhole plug. I prefer the Atmosfeel to Yamaha's SRT2 actually, though I'm sure others will disagree.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I posted a YT video when I first got my FGX5. Even without the mic blended in, the sound direct into a PA sounds more natural than most UST pickups. As you blend in the mic, dialing in a better tone is fairly easy, but feedback can be an issue, unless you use the supplied soundhole plug. I prefer the Atmosfeel to Yamaha's SRT2 actually, though I'm sure others will disagree.
I think the highs are more natural as it uses the body sensor for that and the piezo for bass and the mic for the ‘Atmos’. Opposite of the Cole Clark.

It’s a great system. Battery life isn’t amazing and it has handling noise but if you want the body sounds then it’s worth it. I know someone that has one now and may be able to borrow it to review on my pickup series.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:53 PM

Would love to see a review Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I think the highs are more natural as it uses the body sensor for that and the piezo for bass and the mic for the ‘Atmos’. Opposite of the Cole Clark.

It’s a great system. Battery life isn’t amazing and it has handling noise but if you want the body sounds then it’s worth it. I know someone that has one now and may be able to borrow it to review on my pickup series.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:14 AM

Have you compared the 2 systems? You would hope the Atmosfeel system was an improvement over the SRT2 system or they would have just kept the SRT2 in the Red Label line. Either that, or the Atmosfeel is a cheaper way to go for them?

Quote:
I prefer the Atmosfeel to Yamaha's SRT2 actually, though I'm sure others will disagree.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Have you compared the 2 systems? You would hope the Atmosfeel system was an improvement over the SRT2 system or they would have just kept the SRT2 in the Red Label line. Either that, or the Atmosfeel is a cheaper way to go for them?
I owned a gen 1 AC3R with SRT1, which had the barn door preamp, which I really liked. I also owned an A5R with SRT2 which had the 4 knobs that took away a few of the features from SRT1, but sounded pretty good. I sold my A5R in part due to a cash crunch, but also due to the fact that SRT2 didnt blow me away. The A5R sounded terrific unplugged and had a fantastic neck, but I mostly play plugged in and I wasn't overly thrilled with the tones I got from it.

And I now own an FGX5. From my experience , the Atmosfeel works better when not run through a bunch of preamps. For instance, through my DG Stomp, I hate the way my FGX5 sounds, but direct into a PA, the FGX5 sounds awesome.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not at all. I think it’s their response to the ‘body tap’ players needs.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:31 AM

I am going to have to check these guitars out. Even without the pickup they seem to have a very responsive tone. I think where a company like Cole Clark or Maton might have a bit of an advantage is the main piezo that's built into the bridge. That already sounds great on its own. The Atmosfeel just uses a standard UST so I definitely hear that piezo characteristic in demos. Still, there's a lot to love here.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:15 AM

Would definitely like to see a review from you on this, Aaron.
Hope you can manage it. Cheers.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:39 AM

Not sure why more aren't doing the "piezo built into the saddle" thing?
It solves the problem of ruining the contact point with that piezo element between the saddle and bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I am going to have to check these guitars out. Even without the pickup they seem to have a very responsive tone. I think where a company like Cole Clark or Maton might have a bit of an advantage is the main piezo that's built into the bridge. That already sounds great on its own. The Atmosfeel just uses a standard UST so I definitely hear that piezo characteristic in demos. Still, there's a lot to love here.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It solves the problem of ruining the contact point with that piezo element between the saddle and bridge.
Because the guitar is no longer standard.
Old 02-26-2020, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Because the guitar is no longer standard.
That and USTs are easier to install on a production line than something like the LB6 or Soloist. That doesn't mean they don't sound better (they do) and that there aren't some companies doing that (there are) but it's easier to install a standard UST then to go through the additional work of carefully installing a LB6 in a factory setting while getting the action and string balance right. They can pre-produce saddles at the height they generally need and drop them in on top of the piezo and let the owner make any other adjustments they want.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 02-26-2020, 02:44 PM

Quote:
It’s kind of why Maton, Takamine and Cole Clark are usually considered to be more of a stage guitar. Acoustically they sound fine but they tend to lack something when compared to other brands.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Doesn't the Atmosfeel system have a so-called "bass" knob which is intended for eliminating feedback problems and/or an excessively muddy tone? Does turning up the bass knob discourage feedback when blending in the mic signal, or is it relatively ineffective?

One of our open mic participants has recently started bringing in a new Yamaha which was excessively boomy until I asked if he had a mic in it. He said "yes" and turned the mic down to eliminate the boominess. I'm suspecting that its an Atmosfeel guitar, but I'll have to ask him on the next occasion that he brings it in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification