The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
The Mugig is lightweight, I paid $79 for mine new... Not sure if it would be loud enough,= tho

I used it maxed out and use my guitar as the volume knob

I need to get out in the open to really hear it, right now it's in my office.

So you don't need vocals?
I appreciate the info! I ended up picking up the Micro Cube used for $45 with power adapter, earlier today.

No need for vocals, if I do I can always use my Loudbox Mini for that.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin Custom 05 Java-DX(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Taylor GS-Mini-Hog(Traveler)
Old 02-25-2020, 11:50 PM

After trying out the Micro Cube with my Yamaha acoustic w/passive pickup. It sounds pretty good, I’m quite impressed with it.

My only concern is the Tone knob, I have it in the 10 o’clock position and sounds good. In the 12 o’clock position it sounds better, but I’m not sure what setting is best.

And turning it past 12 o’clock sounds too artificial, if that makes sense. And if I turn it down 0 or off, it sounds kind of muted/dull.

I appreciate any feedback on this part of the Tone adjustment. Also my acoustic guitar does not have any tone adjustments, just the transducers under the soundboard.

Thanks!
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 02-26-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf702 View Post
I appreciate the info, do you much experience in the Micro or Mobile AC?
I owned a Mobile Cube. OK for a monitor, but cheap and buzzy sounding at volume. Never owned the Micro Cube, but played through one several times - good little amp. I would put the Mini Vox's and Fender Passport Mini (we own 2) roughly in the same category.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-26-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
I owned a Mobile Cube. OK for a monitor, but cheap and buzzy sounding at volume. Never owned the Micro Cube, but played through one several times - good little amp. I would put the Mini Vox's and Fender Passport Mini (we own 2) roughly in the same category.
Mini Vox looked like a viable option due to its size, the Passport Mini was a tad larger. The Micro Cube I just got yesterday, is still quite compact and small. Can't fit in a junior sized backpack. But still small enough to carry around easily. I'm quite surprised how good it sounds, and the output volume met my expectation. Going to tinker with it a bit more, just trying to determine the Tone adjustment knob and seeing where it should be set to.
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)
Old 02-26-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
After trying out the Micro Cube with my Yamaha acoustic w/passive pickup. It sounds pretty good, I’m quite impressed with it.

My only concern is the Tone knob, I have it in the 10 o’clock position and sounds good. In the 12 o’clock position it sounds better, but I’m not sure what setting is best.

And turning it past 12 o’clock sounds too artificial, if that makes sense. And if I turn it down 0 or off, it sounds kind of muted/dull.

I appreciate any feedback on this part of the Tone adjustment. Also my acoustic guitar does not have any tone adjustments, just the transducers under the soundboard.

Thanks!
What's the best setting for the tone knob? That's easy. What sounds best to you. That's why they put a tone knob on the amp.

I have a Street Cube EX, and it's pricey, but a very nice amp. I had the Street Cube prior to this one and that's also a great choice in a easy to carry amp, particularly if battery operation is desired.

Whenever I see a post from someone who is suggesting one of the cheap import "rechargable amps" it always makes me wonder how many house fires will be attributable to the batteries or charging circuits in future years. Good luck with any product liability claims from an ebay off brand amp made to be marketed as cheaply as possible. They may be fine, but it's worth thinking about a product beyond the price point consideration.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
I appreciate the info! I ended up picking up the Micro Cube used for $45 with power adapter, earlier today.

No need for vocals, if I do I can always use my Loudbox Mini for that.

$45 with power supply is a bit of a steal. Good work.

Piezos and undersaddle transducers are bright and brittle by nature, so it makes sense to me that the amp has a small and relatively "low on the dial" sweet spot on the tone knob.

Oh, fun tip...if it still has the little handle strapped on, pop that off and use a guitar strap, then you can sling the amp right over your shoulder.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-26-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
$45 with power supply is a bit of a steal. Good work.

Piezos and undersaddle transducers are bright and brittle by nature, so it makes sense to me that the amp has a small and relatively "low on the dial" sweet spot on the tone knob.

Oh, fun tip...if it still has the little handle strapped on, pop that off and use a guitar strap, then you can sling the amp right over your shoulder.

Definitely a great deal, very blessed and grateful!

I'll keep adjusting the knob between the 0 and 12 oclock position. To see how the tone sounds.

Yes it still has the handle strap which is pretty neat. I appreciate the additional tip! Thanks!
Taylor 214ce(sold)
Guild D4-NT-HR(sold)
Martin HD28(sold)
Martin LXM(sold)
Martin DRS2(Main)
Yamaha FG830(Beater)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification