The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-25-2020, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Default Yamaha MG10XUF...

I saw one of these in a Guitar Center yesterday. First that I've seen that model - it looks to be the same as the MG10XU with faders for each channel instead of a knob for volume.

Has anyone tried this? Since the footprint is a bit longer than the non-fader model, do you find the faders are more functional? (Also, input from the MG12XU owners welcome.)

How is this unit for recording directly to a Mac? Looks like it would be a simpler set-up when recording multi tracks with different instruments/vocals.

Opinions?
Old 02-25-2020, 03:04 PM

This doesn’t answer your question, but my 3 part combo band just went from a Yamaha MX10xu to the Berringer XAir-12. Way more control over your mix and a lot more features. A big improvement in sound for us.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:40 PM

I have an MG10XU and the MG16XU. The sliders offer a bit more perceived control. If you're used to knobs, just as much control can be had through them. As for recording, the interface is pretty good. The mixer probably includes Steinberg, but with your Mac I imagine Garage Band will be the way to go. The compression is really nice on these Yamaha mixers.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markd View Post
This doesn’t answer your question, but my 3 part combo band just went from a Yamaha MX10xu to the Berringer XAir-12. Way more control over your mix and a lot more features. A big improvement in sound for us.
That Behringer X-Air line looks interesting, but I have concerns with not having a physical control (knobs/sliders) if you have an issue with your iPad or other device.

I do use an iPad, with OnSong... so it would mean having another iPad or having to switch back and forth between the apps.

Maybe I am over-thinking those concerns?
Old 02-25-2020, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I have an MG10XU and the MG16XU. The sliders offer a bit more perceived control. If you're used to knobs, just as much control can be had through them. As for recording, the interface is pretty good. The mixer probably includes Steinberg, but with your Mac I imagine Garage Band will be the way to go. The compression is really nice on these Yamaha mixers.
Thanks, YamahaGuy - this is the way I am leaning. Yes, the included software is some form of Cubase. The one knob compression sounds interesting.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:50 AM

The Yamahas are nice and yes, I find faders give me more control. If you want to fade down - or up - more than one channel in a live situation then you can do it with one hand. You can’t do that so easily with rotary knobs!

The compression is a nice feature for such a compact mixer but use sparingly!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 02-26-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
That Behringer X-Air line looks interesting, but I have concerns with not having a physical control (knobs/sliders) if you have an issue with your iPad or other device.

I do use an iPad, with OnSong... so it would mean having another iPad or having to switch back and forth between the apps.

Maybe I am over-thinking those concerns?
I went digital (Behringer XR18). Yes, you do have to mess with a device, but you have choices there. At one end of the spectrum, you can get the app for a PC/small laptop and hard-wire it right to the mixer, but then you are cable-tied and lose the nice wireless capability. If you go wireless, you really ought to use an external dual-band router, so there's that set up.

And yes, if you are already using a tablet, you'd need a second device or to switch back and forth if you need to make mixer adjustments during the show.

My tablet is only for the mixer, and I decided that the wireless capability, small footprint (and ability to record multi-track live) was worth it for me. Your needs may vary.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Another question, this time about the effects on the MG10XUF: can the effects be applied differently to each channel (i.e. reverb on a mic channel, chorus on a guitar channel)? I looked through the owners manual online and didn't see where this was explained. Of course, the guy I spoke with at GC about it wasn't sure.

TIA for any response.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Another question, this time about the effects on the MG10XUF: can the effects be applied differently to each channel (i.e. reverb on a mic channel, chorus on a guitar channel)? I looked through the owners manual online and didn't see where this was explained. Of course, the guy I spoke with at GC about it wasn't sure.

TIA for any response.
Same effect only one at a time. Can't do a reverb on 1, delay on 2, etc. Can do reverb on 1 and not on 2. One effect at once, which can be on or off for each channel.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Same effect only one at a time. Can't do a reverb on 1, delay on 2, etc. Can do reverb on 1 and not on 2. One effect at once, which can be on or off for each channel.
Thanks, YamahaGuy. I was hoping I was wrong on that; seems to make the effects less useful. I appreciate knowing, though.
Old 03-01-2020, 06:14 PM

Went to use my brand new MG10XU non fader model on Saturday night, but the speakers I borrowed kept putting out crackle from the guitar channel.
I also couldn't get a lot of volume out without distortion.
I'm hoping it was just a matter of a bad lead, as it was only one speaker, but the guy I had helping me set up also mentioned that perhaps the speakers were too big for the mixer, requiring too much output?
Is that a thing?
They were un-powered speakers.
Admittedly, I didn't try another channel before I unplugged everything, and used the mixer my mate brought along.
I barely had to raise the volume levels from zero before I was producing huge sound from the speakers.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 03-01-2020, 07:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Went to use my brand new MG10XU non fader model on Saturday night, but the speakers I borrowed kept putting out crackle from the guitar channel.
I also couldn't get a lot of volume out without distortion.
I'm hoping it was just a matter of a bad lead, as it was only one speaker, but the guy I had helping me set up also mentioned that perhaps the speakers were too big for the mixer, requiring too much output?
Is that a thing?
They were un-powered speakers.
Admittedly, I didn't try another channel before I unplugged everything, and used the mixer my mate brought along.
I barely had to raise the volume levels from zero before I was producing huge sound from the speakers.
The Yamaha MG10xu(f) is designed to be used with powered speakers. I am surprised you got anything out of it.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:57 PM

Quote:
The Yamaha MG10xu(f) is designed to be used with powered speakers. I am surprised you got anything out of it.
Got to love 2020 hindsight!! Why didn't I think of that!!!
I feel like an idiot now!!
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 03-03-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
The Yamaha MG10xu(f) is designed to be used with powered speakers.
Any mainstream mixer, including the Yamaha, can be used with either powered speakers or passive speakers and a power amp. The fact that you could hear a crackling noise and distortion at all suggests that a power amp was used, is this not the case?

The idea that the speakers might be too big for the mixer also doesn't really make sense. It's quite important that passive speakers are matched with an appropriate amp but just about any mixer on the market can be used to provide a signal.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Any mainstream mixer, including the Yamaha, can be used with either powered speakers or passive speakers and a power amp. The fact that you could hear a crackling noise and distortion at all suggests that a power amp was used, is this not the case?

The idea that the speakers might be too big for the mixer also doesn't really make sense. It's quite important that passive speakers are matched with an appropriate amp but just about any mixer on the market can be used to provide a signal.
I assume his friend's mixer he ended up using was a powered mixer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification