The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 03:57 PM

Default Hey Minneapolis/St.Paul Folks!

Ever since the Podium, and then Podium 2.0/GuitarRodeo closed we've been without a well-stocked high-end acoustic guitar shop.

That may be changing...
Got this in the mail today, I've never heard of them nor have I checked out their website.

Old 05-25-2018, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Wow... didn't realize that The Podium had closed. I rarely ever get over to MSP (I live 13 hours away). But The Podium to me has been synonymous with MSP like GSI is synonymous with sunny southern CA.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

That’s the new name of Quinn’s Viloins. They started carrying guitars and clearly needed a broader name to draw us in. Heard great things but haven’t been there yet
Old 05-25-2018, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Hmmmm....pretty close to the Podium2's old location. I made it there on my last trip while en route to the airport. I'm heading back in two weeks. I have a very short schedule but will try to visit.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-25-2018, 07:22 PM

Billy McLaughlin! I’d go if I lived close.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

I plan to go to the grand opening and see the new sop. Quinn's has been around a long time with an excellent reputation, but their guitar thing is apparently new.

As for well stocked acoustic stores around the Twin Cities, check out Willie's in St. Paul. I bought my used Huss & Dalton 00 there recently. Twin Town in south Minneapolis is carrying some nice guitars too. There are probably others, since this area is so musically active, but those two come to mind immediately.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-25-2018, 08:46 PM

I've been to TT, decent, but electrics and pedals are their bread & butter.

I haven't been to Willie's, again, I thought it was more fine vintage electrics.

Vig Guitars in St.Paul is great for amps and electrics, but neither them nor anyone local can hold a candle to what the Dinkytown Podium had.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYRN View Post
I've been to TT, decent, but electrics and pedals are their bread & butter.

I haven't been to Willie's, again, I thought it was more fine vintage electrics.

Vig Guitars in St.Paul is great for amps and electrics, but neither them nor anyone local can hold a candle to what the Dinkytown Podium had.
I agree about The Podium. It was a cultural center for all things acoustic and its demise has left a big hole in the fabric of our musical community.

It has been a while since I have been to Twin Town, but their web site seems to show a growing stock of decent acoustic guitars, focusing on Taylor.

Though Willie's acoustic room is small compared to their section of vintage electric guitars, amps, and pedals, what they have is definitely good quality.

Groth Music has a nice selection of lower and lower-midrange acoustics as well as some Martins.

I have not been to Vig Guitars.

As I say, none of these replaces The Podium, but at least we still have some choices. Hopefully FretCentral will attempt to fill at least some of the hole left by the demise of The Podium.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-26-2018, 10:52 AM

I am in Minneapolis for the next two weeks. This thread is perfectly timed for me and very useful. Thanks for posting.

My plan for the next week is to check out these suggestions. Who knows, maybe something with strings will follow me home, especially if there is trading involved.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

My oldest son's family (2 grandsons!) lives in Minneapolis. I bought my Taylor from Jim at Guitar Rodeo, which was walking distance from the house. Really enjoyed his relaxed, honest style, and the Podium had an awesome inventory then. Loved the reincarnation of the Podium at the former Guitar Rodeo site, and was sad to hear about it's demise. Will be visiting again this summer, and take the opportunity to check out the new store.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 05-26-2018, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

I don't get out shopping much (I have a shop of my own to deal with!) The Homestead Pickin' Parlor might be a place to check out too? I remember when My Favorite Martin was located here in Excelsior although even then I think they were really an online store. I wonder, can the twin cities really support a high end brick and mortar acoustic shop?
Old 05-26-2018, 01:41 PM

I didn't realize Michael Bolton is going to be there!
Old 05-26-2018, 01:55 PM

Well, The place is only 6.2 miles from my house according to this new (my first) "smart" phone my family insisted I buy. I have never visited the business.. So, according to their web site, they are open on Saturdays. I drove there expecting to report my findings! I guess it was me who wasn't very smart. Closed for Memorial Day weekend! (I should have read the "fine print! (I sure do miss the Podium.....)
Old 05-26-2018, 09:28 PM

Interesting - this is located just 2 blocks from where I lived for 20 yrs, and about 7 from where I worked for 30. A primarily residential area, and off of the main drags, so not noticeable to casual passers-by. Not much street traffic. About 13-14 blocks north and east of the "original" Podium location.

Sigh - the Podium - bought my second guitar from Paulette and husband when it was a combination music/tobacco store. (Classical sheet music catering to UofMN music majors only on the main floor, guitars and "folk" stuff in the basement). Bought my Yairi-Bozo 12 string from the new owners, Chris Weber and his wife Val. Lots of incidental purchases when they moved it around the corner to a remodeled rooming house to save costs. Bought my banjos from the place again when the original owners took it back from Chris, and moved it back to it's former location to try and recapture lost street traffic. Took lessons in banjo from Jim Tordoff during that period. Bought my LKSM 12 years later from Jim at Guitar rodeo. Had Jim/Marty do fresh setups on my LKSM 12 and LKSM 6, just prior to their closing (unbeknownst to me that that was in the works). Tough business, hope the new one makes a go of it.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:50 AM

My friends Bill and Kevin and I used to go to the Dinkytown Podium just about every Saturday morning, hang out for an hour or two then go to lunch. All manner of people would wander in. I spent a lot of money in there. Kevin eventually became the manager of the store and then lost interest in joining us on his day off. Jeff sold the shop shortly after I was in the process of moving to Austin and I never was at the new Podium. Willies is a neat store but didn't really lend itself to being a place to go and hang out. Hill Country Guitars in Austin was an able replacement for a few years. Now it is gone too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion