The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Last warning....
Old 05-20-2018, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Some answers are out there, but we must find them by asking the "right" questions.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 05-20-2018, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

If you guys really would like to discuss this, pm me and I'll give you a site. it's interesting, and you might enjoy it.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
I read an article a while back that said they really sincerely believe a lot of this is to do with violent video games that these kids play all day long and become desensitized to killing. ...
I deliberately stayed out of this discussion but I wanted to respond to this.

You've been duped. About five-to-ten years ago this was everyone's favorite scapegoat. It has become recognized as another nonsense falsehood.

Countless studies have shown this to be completely false. It was an urban myth made up by hysterical adults. The same ones who said the band Kiss is a satanic cult and that rock music leads to immorality, dog waste cures infections, babies shouldn't be allowed to touch themselves, and every other ridiculous nonsense claim.

These criminals are essentially never gamers. Gamers have an incredible ability to separate reality from pretend gaming. Pretend gaming has nothing to do with "desensitizing" - in fact it is shown to increase creative thinking and imagination.

Giving any visibility to this deception is a very damaging distraction.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 05-20-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyghthawk View Post
Owners, be responsible. Secure your weapons. Please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailpicker View Post
And parents, talk with, probe, pry, delve into, communicate with and do everything you can to know what's going on in your children's lives, what they're thinking, why they are thinking it and try to steer them back on course if they are veering off course. Know who they are associating with.
I refuse to be baited into the debate, but I see these as the two most sensible posts in this thread - and they were on page one. Nothing more need be said.

Have a nice day.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:26 AM

I can only offer my support in the way I choose to give it my and heartfelt sympathy for these tragic losses. That's all I have.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-20-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
You've been duped. About five-to-ten years ago this was everyone's favorite scapegoat. It has become recognized as another nonsense falsehood.

Countless studies have shown this to be completely false. It was an urban myth made up by hysterical adults. The same ones who said the band Kiss is a satanic cult and that rock music leads to immorality, dog waste cures infections, babies shouldn't be allowed to touch themselves, and every other ridiculous nonsense claim.

If violent video games or KISS were causing people to act out, then all those Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner, and Popeye cartoons would have us doing really crazy stuff to each other. lol On a more serious note, would it help if schools truly adopted a zero-tolerance policy on bullying? It seems to be a common thread in many shootings as well as teen suicides.
Yamaha FG730S
1950 Epiphone Triumph
Old 05-20-2018, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
If violent video games or KISS were causing people to act out, then all those Bugs Bunny, Roadrunner, and Popeye cartoons would have us doing really crazy stuff to each other. lol On a more serious note, would it help if schools truly adopted a zero-tolerance policy on bullying? It seems to be a common thread in many shootings as well as teen suicides.
If schools adopt a zero tolerance policy on bullying, which many have, then what? How would they control what goes on when kids are not in school? Once kids are out of school, it's not the schools business, is it?

Perhaps the policy should be to let kids sort it out and learn to deal with it in grade school. Not interfere with learning life's lessons early. Learn that life can be unfair and develop coping strategies.

Just a thought.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
We did. How many of us jumped off the roof with an umbrella or cape?
Old 05-20-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
It happens because we allow it to happen, and it's disgusting.

No other country has this problem, stop pretending...........
Simply not true. You might be able to argue the US has a bigger problem, but we are not alone in experiencing deranged people killing people in schools.

https://www.infoplease.com/us/crime/...mass-shootings

Personally, I think it comes down to how culture teaches people how to resolve disputes. Boys resorting to fisticuffs may not have been ideal, but back when that was how disputes were resolved, children didn't seem to mow down other children; in school or otherwise.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Well it’s a larger problem than kids killing kids. For whatever reason(s), there’s this.

Old 05-20-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Well it’s a larger problem than kids killing kids. For whatever reason(s), there’s this.

(image)
The numbers for Japan and ROK are easy to explain because very few there have guns. Homicides are committed by other means. The listing contains countries where there are lots of guns in ordinary people's hands. Those guns are rarely used to kill another person.

I've gathered that USA is also among those countries where blades and blunt objects are used for homicide more often than guns. Don't have a source handy right now, and it is time for me to shut down.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-20-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
To make a more "apples to apples" comparison, should really compare just "murders" and not "gun murders"...

That is, unless a gun murder is somehow worse than a knife murder or a car/truck murder.

Here is an interesting link as such:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._homicide_rate
Old 05-20-2018, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

That's deceptive. You also have to look and see where the majority of murders are committed. It's not evenly spread out.

That list also includes suicides. Suicide to me seems like a personal decision. It may be bad, and it certainly is tragc, but it's not a crime and it's not a murder.

When it comes down to innocent people being murdered, the number is extremely low. I agree that even a low number is a bad thing.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-20-2018 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Edited
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic