The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-16-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Another thought, because the OP mentioned a 45 PPQ vs 9mm Creed:

Definitely consider the price difference in ammunition and how much you suspect you'll go plinking. 45 ammo is a lot more expensive. Probably not a big deal if you only fire 100 rounds a year, but at 100 rounds per week it adds up really fast.
Not to speak about round counts that serious competitors accumulate.

Rolling your own can lower the cost but, still, a .45 bullet costs more, you use a little more powder, and might even need to buy cases.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-16-2018, 07:26 AM

Okay these things make my eyes cross when written incorrectly. There is no such thing as "9mm Creed". There is a Walther Creed in 9mm just as there is the PPQ in 9mm. The caliber would be either - .45 ACP or 9mm. For shooting pleasure I would choose the PPQ as it has the finest, out of the box, trigger around. It will make a moderate shooter better as there is no unnecessary effort required to activate it. I also advise purchasing firearms like guitars. Hold it and manipulate it prior to purchase to make sure it fits you the way you like.
Old 05-16-2018, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Not to speak about round counts that serious competitors accumulate.

Rolling your own can lower the cost but, still, a .45 bullet costs more, you use a little more powder, and might even need to buy cases.
A'int that the truth! Most reloading folks say (and I whole-heartedly agree) that reloading doesn't really save you money. Rather, it allows you to shoot a lot more for the same amount of money.

Reloading is quite the rabbit hole to go down!

As an aside, you might be surprised to learn that generally speaking, you put essentially the same amount of powder into a 9mm case as you do a 45ACP case...
Old 05-16-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
As an aside, you might be surprised to learn that generally speaking, you put essentially the same amount of powder into a 9mm case as you do a 45ACP case...
That depends on what exactly you are trying to accomplish. Loading for maximum velocities, yes. I'm a bit wary of the fastest burning powders in .45, so loading for IPSC/USPSA Minor in 9mm, and Major in .45, will put more of the same powder in the .45. Going for something like Vihtavuori N310 in .45 would cut powder weight to 9mm numbers but that stuff leaves no room for error, especially in a big case.

But powder is probably the smallest part in the cost of a reloaded cartridge, so you only feel a 20% to 30% difference if you really shoot a lot.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:35 PM

As I said in the OP, I'm interested in one of the pistols almost exclusively for target shooting, not for CCW or home defense. For CCW I'd use the PPS M2 and home defense would be a Claymore and a BAR.

Also have no interest in reloads...and the two indoor ranges in my area won't allow them anyway.

Spent about three hours at the range yesterday afternoon with my son and younger granddaughter. We used up a box of 22, a box of 45 acp, and two boxes of 9mm. I've pretty much decided I'm going to get the Creed. I like it's price and the way it feels about perfect (for me) for target shooting. If I'm in the mood to shoot something bigger there's a Springfield RO 1911 that's more than happy to go to the range with me.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:39 PM

Cool, tell us about your NGD when you get it!
Old 05-16-2018, 10:50 PM

Which flavor of target shooting do you prefer? You could call me a hobby level IPSC shooter, and 9mm is what people usually go for, there. There's also a .45 Detonics (1911 style) and a Ruger GP100 in the safe, so I switch between pretty different pistols depending on how I'm feeling and which ammo I still have remaining....
Old 05-16-2018, 11:52 PM

You're correct about the OC stream , wouldnt wanna get caught in a cloud of that CONE stuff, I have both . I Have the Walther PPX , Same thing trigger VERY Light ( YES TOP Heavy but Dependable ) , only lighter trigger was a 22 High Standard Duramatic -I used to take up the keys on my scooter around 14 years old ( Yeah try that NOW ... ) no way ...Lightest trigger EVER .
Old 05-19-2018, 03:25 PM

Umm - got nothing against guns but I thought this was a guitar forum? Surely there are other forums for gun aficionados??
Old 05-20-2018, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post
Umm - got nothing against guns but I thought this was a guitar forum? Surely there are other forums for gun aficionados??
Yes. But this is in the Open Mic section where people can speak about non-guitar matters too. I'm sure there are other forums for kidney stone and lawn mower aficionados, too.

---

Went to the range yesterday without any particular plan. Some guys were setting up IDPA exercises, so there was my plan. When there's a few of you, setting up a Stage is less of a chore.

One of the targets was really close but in a tricky position, so I ended up doing a thing I've done only once before, many years ago: wrecked the whole paper target (corrugated cardboard, actually) with the muzzle blast from my .45 - and my ammunition is loaded a little soft, so it isn't a case of extreme pressures.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:43 AM

A 1911 is complicated? I always thought it pretty simple. The .45 round from the 1911 frame has been my favorite for the last 30 years. I'd never consider CCW, though. I can't even be bothered to carry a cell phone. Otherwise, I've fired the Walther and consider is a finely made piece. Good choice.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
A 1911 is complicated? I always thought it pretty simple....
I suppose the barrel link is an unnecessary moving part. John Browning got around that later on. On mine, I need a little trick to get the slide stop lever back in during reassembly: a guitar pick to hold the plunger depressed a little

Oh, my 1911 magazines are sometimes finicky, and need a little massaging, to ensure they drop free during reloads, and feed reliably.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am not into weapons either, but I find the variety of topics in the Open Mic forum to be quite interesting, and this one is no exception. All the other sub-forums focus on guitars.

Somebody mentioned Claymores. I had to set these out on a number of occasions in Vietnam. When you were at a small firebase, that was part of guard duty, setting them out at night and disarming them in the morning.

A guy can really be "hurtin' for certain" if you don't do it right.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-21-2018, 04:10 PM

Quote:
I don't shoot either but its interesting to learn about it here.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:52 PM

As far as 9mm ammo, was wondering if anybody here has tried the NovX brand featuring the stainless aluminum cases and a polycarbonate copper matrix, FLUTED projectile which supposedly delivers devastating terminal performance with 25% less felt recoil. The +P bullet at a mere 65 grains is stepping out of there at around 1700 FPS! They advertise this round as creating wound channels unlike any 9mm self defense cartridge has ever made before. That’s quite a claim. I plan on picking up a box of this soon and giveing it a whirl in my Sig 226.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic