The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-07-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGinNJ View Post
If you want a guitar that sounds like a Martin, buy a Martin. Used ones can easily be found in your price range.
Used 12 string Martins easily found in the $500 to $800 range?
Old 05-07-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
If you want a guitar that sounds like a Martin, buy a Martin. Used ones can easily be found in your price range.
...yep, used laminates, likely not 12 strings though. Where are these "easily found" used $500-800 Martins?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 05-07-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: changed text to accomodate
Old 05-07-2018, 01:49 PM

I don't have a Martin. I've only tried out a few floor models in local stores, probably with dead strings.

Is the term "sounds like a Martin" perhaps too general, without stating which model number you tried and liked? Do the HPL road series Martins have that "Martin" sound you're looking for?

Check out Maury's comparison web page:
https://www.maurysmusic.com/blueridge_vs__martin

Last edited by STLBlues; 05-07-2018 at 02:01 PM. Reason: addition of comparison web site.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLBlues View Post
I don't have a Martin. I've only tried out a few floor models in local stores, probably with dead strings.

Is the term "sounds like a Martin" perhaps too general, without stating which model number you tried and liked? Do the HPL road series Martins have that "Martin" sound you're looking for?

Check out Maury's comparison web page:
https://www.maurysmusic.com/blueridge_vs__martin
I have no issue with the HPL back and sides. I have been playing a Martin D12X1AE over the last couple of weeks that I like the tone of but unfortunately it feels unbalanced when I am standing with it. The neck especially is heavy and sinks like a rock so I have to always keep a hand on it or hold it with my forearm. Maybe I will get used to it but so far I haven't. I have owned a Taylor 655 and a 356 in the past and was not that crazy about the sound of either so I prefer the boomier Martin sound over the more shimmery sound of the Taylor 12s. I would have to play a Blueridge to really know if it would work for me but I thought it might be an option if I want to look for something more equivalent sound wise to the Martin based on descriptions. If I get used to the D12X1AE it won't be an issue but so far I feel like I am always fighting to keep it in position.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:23 PM

As others have suggested, buy what you like to play.

That said, I tried several D-18 GEs and they didn't do it for me. I loved the playability, and the action on them was superb. But the sounds for me were...meh.

The Blueridge BR 240A I bought sounds better to my ears, but that's subjective so I say play a bunch of them for comparison. If you really like the D-18 then take the time to save more money and get one; but get the one that sounds best to you be it an Eastman, Blueridge, Gibson, etc.
Old 05-07-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb9682 View Post
As others have suggested, buy what you like to play.

That said, I tried several D-18 GEs and they didn't do it for me. I loved the playability, and the action on them was superb. But the sounds for me were...meh.

The Blueridge BR 240A I bought sounds better to my ears, but that's subjective so I say play a bunch of them for comparison. If you really like the D-18 then take the time to save more money and get one; but get the one that sounds best to you be it an Eastman, Blueridge, Gibson, etc.
I didn't care for the GE's either. The Standard D18 with Martin Retro strings is an awesome guitar.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-07-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
...yep, used laminates, likely not 12 strings though. Where are these "easily found" used $500-800 Martins?
In Canada, on Kijiji. In the USA, I would think Reverb and Craiglist. I see them all the time in the used section at Guitar Center. There are always some there.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I missed the part about 12 string (as did most of the other responders). I just saw one of the older DRS-1 at a local GC for $500, it sounded great. The new, MIM laminates aren't much more than that. But 12 strings are a lot less common!
Old 05-08-2018, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I didn't care for the GE's either. The Standard D18 with Martin Retro strings is an awesome guitar.
Hmm, I'll give the stadard D18 a try sometime see. I was very surprised at how unimpressive the GE models sounded (at least the ones I tried). I know the D-18s are iconic, but I only tried one once and I can't even remember when that was.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

The GE versions respond well to an aggressive flatpick. I sold mine and bought a standard D18. Both are great guitars, but the standard suits my needs better.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

You may want to look at the Eastman E6D-12. You should be able to find a used version in your price range, though I don't know that it will be lighter weight than your current 12 string.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I missed the part about 12 string (as did most of the other responders). I just saw one of the older DRS-1 at a local GC for $500, it sounded great. The new, MIM laminates aren't much more than that. But 12 strings are a lot less common!
This has all been good info even if not all related to my 12 string question. Regarding Blueridge, Guitar Center has a used BR-160-12 for sale on their web site for a decent price that I was tempted by. I called the store to get more details on condition but it is on lay away so is no longer available. last week I played a Martin GPC12PA4 that sounded very nice. It was much easier to handle than the D12X1AE with the stratabond neck but was above my price point. That appears to be the next Martin price point above the D12X1AE. I will keep playing the D12X1AE to see if I get used to it and will continue checking out my other options.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-08-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou Intern View Post
You may want to look at the Eastman E6D-12. You should be able to find a used version in your price range, though I don't know that it will be lighter weight than your current 12 string.
I have not played Eastman guitars. I will have to try one out when I get a chance.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-08-2018, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjh111222 View Post
I have not played Eastman guitars. I will have to try one out when I get a chance.
I'd wager that you will be pleasantly surprised by what Eastman has to offer.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:44 PM

Default My brother spent $2800 on a Blueridge

I think it was a D45 rip-off, and it had Brazilian Rosewood back and sides and stunning inlay throughout. It looked like a real piece of art. The workmanship was absolutely flawless, but If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I would want a guitar like a Martin that isn't a knock-off. For less than $1000, I would consider a Blueridge for sure.

My brother lived in a Motel 6 without a pot to pee in, but he had that beautiful guitar that he hardly knew how to tune, but he would play it for hours until he had a month of bad sales, and he pawned it for $800, and couldn't make payments and lost it - just like he did the Martin HD28 and the Yamaha LL400 I mentioned in my first post on this forum.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion