The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-07-2018, 07:47 AM

Default Blueridge Guitars

I have seen several ads lately for Blueridge guitars that tout them as very good pre-war era retro guitars that rival Martin, but at a quarter of the price. I have never had the opportunity to play one but I find it hard to believe the quality is really that good. They are built in China so labor rates are lower, but still, that is quite a claim. I am looking for a lighter weight 12 string than what I have now in the $500 to $800 price point. I am looking for more of the Martin vs Taylor sound so I thought this might be a good fit. If they are as good as claimed I might consider one of these if one comes available on the used market but I thought I would see what others think of them.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-07-2018, 08:32 AM

Search the forum and you can find a bunch of threads about Blueridge guitars, but the consensus seems to be about what you described. I haven't had a chance to play one, but most that have mention that they have more of a "Martin" sound than other guitars built to the same general specs (e.g., Eastman's E series). I believe they have a slimmer neck profile than Martins, and a 1-11/16" nut width, which may be something to consider.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:55 AM

Steve,

If you search the forum you should find a lot of posts regarding Blueridge guitars. So you'll get a lot of opinions there. I own two Blueridge guitars; a BR-160 and a BG-160. The BR is a "Martin copy along the lines of a D28" and the BG is a "Gisbon copy" (not sure what it copies, but it definitely has more of a Gibson sound and is a sloped shoulder model). When I bought mine they were selling for around $500-$600. I think they are a little more expensive now but still a fraction of their Martin and Gibson counterparts. I also own a Martin HD28 so I can give you a direct comparison, at least with the BR-160.

FOR THE MONEY... the sound of the BR160 will amaze you. It is very loud and very "Martin Like". Is it as good as the Martin? No but it's reasonably close given the $1-2K that separates them. When played in guitar circles with more expensive guitars it holds its own very well. The sound is full, loud and has good sustain. The BG is very similar except with more of a Gibson sound (subjective). Again, for the money they are amazing guitars. BUT... the one knock on them that I've heard over the years is the build quality can be hit or miss. I strongly recommend playing the one you're going to buy. My two Blueridges are awesome but I hand picked them from several that were less so. There are several great guitars in a lower price range than the high end stuff that you may want to take a look at; like Seagull, Eastman, and others. You really need to find what "speaks to you" but I can tell you that I'm very happy with my Blueridge guitars and won't be parting with them any time soon. Good luck on your quest.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:57 AM

I have one of those BR 361 ? parlor guitars in rosewood that they make with a 1 7/8” neck and 12 frets and that sounds as good or better than any Martin of its kind that I have owned or heard. I use it as a kick around guitar or when I’m playing the Blind Blake stuff which is where it really shines. Workmanship is very clean also.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:12 AM

I have a Blueridge BR-142 12-fret I purchased used on Reverb. It is extremely well built, even with the somewhat over-the-top headstock decor. (which I kinda like) Plays easily, good projection and sustain, though I'm going to change out the D'addarios that the seller had restrung with. I play mostly finger picking and the fretboard width (44mm) and neck profile suit me very well.

Like it well enough that I am considering adding a Br-163 14-fret to the collection. (Gotta play a RK RO-T16 "Torified" before deciding)
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 05-07-2018, 09:52 AM

If you want a guitar that sounds like a Martin, buy a Martin. Used ones can easily be found in your price range.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitz81 View Post
Search the forum and you can find a bunch of threads about Blueridge guitars,
I have not used the search function before so I did a search for Blueridge Guitar threads. It looks like there is more than enough info already posted on these guitars so sorry for the added post on this.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-07-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostpicker View Post
FOR THE MONEY... the sound of the BR160 will amaze you. It is very loud and very "Martin Like". Is it as good as the Martin? No but it's reasonably close given the $1-2K that separates them. When played in guitar circles with more expensive guitars it holds its own very well.
Ghostpicker nailed it, this is the bottom line. When you get into the "is it as good as a Martin" bit the question needs to get very specific. Blueridge does cut some corners to enable their low price. Martin builds a higher quality product. But how much do those specific details matter to the tone and playablity? That's up to the player to decide. The Martin inspired Blueridge models BR160, BR160A, BR140 etc... have a sound character all their own. They get in the ballpark of Martin but they do have a unique tone. Truthfully, they sound more like the vintage reissue Martin models than the current Standard series to my ears.

If you jump on the official Blueridge group of Facebook, you'll find there are more than a few who actually prefer their all solid wood Blueridge models over their Martin's for various reasons. The Blueridge slim neck profile on their D28 (BR160) and D18 (BR140) copies make them more desirable for those with small hands or perhaps aging hands that have to deal with arthritis, etc.... They are exceptionally good guitars for the money. If you're chasing the traditional vibe on a budget Blueridge and Eastman are still my recommended go-to brands. These companies are creating lightly built, all solid guitars that are hard to find a lot of fault with other than the country of origin. Regarding that, it's a misconception that China can't build a great guitar. Just because there are an abundance of sweat shops in China, that doesn't mean high quality factories aren't also there. We think nothing of the the highest quality consumer electronics being built in China but hold a double standard for traditional goods.

If you do some digging, you'll find a lot of the modern Blueridge guitars were designed by a luthier named Greg Rich who worked as the head of Gibson's custom shop from 87 to 93. I've read that Greg spent a lot of time looking studying vintage instruments. He had an opinion on what corners could be cut and still build a high quality instrument and he helped Saga Music with their Blueridge designs and later Recording King.

Once a company has a design spec, a certain materials requirement and quality control standards in place then where the instrument is built becomes much insignificant. But it's not as simple as that with guitars, because you also have the source and conditioning of the wood. The exact way Martin conditions their wood prior to construction is different from Taylor and Gibson, etc... I think that does make its way into the finished product.

Here are a few comparison videos. A video can only tell you so much, it does not tell you how well you will connect with the guitar but it does give you a great idea of how well the guitar will sound recorded. Acclimated ears will hear a difference between all guitars in the demo videos below but which tone is better is just subjective personal thing. No one can really answer that except the player. The only thing that can be said for certain is that the player community has an established respect for the Martin brand over the Blueridge brand. If you care a great deal about the impression the name on the head stock will make (don't undervalue this, regardless of what people say most DO care a great deal) then you should consider saving up for a Martin. The best thing you can do is be honest. Otherwise when you buy a Blueridge, Eastman or even say a Martin Road Series you'll never be happy until you get the real D28, D18, etc...

Martin HD28V - $3699
Blueridge BR-160 - $800.

Both all solid wood, same hard woods used for top and back and sides.

Blueridge BR160A - $1100
Martin D28 Authentic 37 - $6899
Martin D28 - $2699

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine

Last edited by Rmz76; 05-07-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:21 AM

Blueridge makes great guitars.
I have played one of the older 12 strings and it was a very nice guitar.
I would recommend one.
Yes, I think that their sound is a lot closer to Martin than Taylor.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Charter Member

Blueridge is definitely closer to Martin than Taylor when it comes to tone. I have owned several and they are really nice guitars. I now own two Martin dreads, but only because I could afford them and liked them just a little more than the Blueridge equivalents. For the price, it's really hard to beat a Blueridge if you want Martin-like tone.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:34 AM

Maury's will do you right on a Blueridge and is also a Martin dealer. They look at each one and make sure it is OK

They steered me to the Blueridge Parlor and even my wife agrees that it is the best $800 I have spent on an instrument
Old 05-07-2018, 10:36 AM

I've had my BR-140A for over a year now. No construction flaws. Looks and sounds beautiful. Bought it from Maury's.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
Ghostpicker nailed it, this is the bottom line. When you get into the "is it as good as a Martin" bit the question needs to get very specific. Blueridge does cut some corners to enable their low price. Martin builds a higher quality product. But how much do those specific details matter to the tone and playablity? That's up to the player to decide. The Martin inspired Blueridge models BR160, BR160A, BR140 etc... have a sound character all their own. They get in the ballpark of Martin but they do have a unique tone. Truthfully, they sound more like the vintage reissue Martin models than the current Standard series to my ears.
It is too bad there aren't any local shops in my area that carry them. I really need to play one. I will keep on the look out for one to try.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-07-2018, 11:43 AM

Go for the Blueridge and be delighted.
Old 05-07-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjh111222 View Post
I have seen several ads lately for Blueridge guitars that tout them as very good pre-war era retro guitars that rival Martin, but at a quarter of the price. I have never had the opportunity to play one but I find it hard to believe the quality is really that good.
Questions like yours are like comparing Heinz Ketchup to a much cheaper store brand ketchup. They both are red, they both have the same ingredients on the label. Most people say that they can taste a difference, and many will say that one tastes just as good (or bad) as the other, and many will say that the Heinz is much better. Even a few will say that the store brand tastes better. So for me it's not so much a matter of the guitar or the brand but of the person and his/her perception. If you love store brands then the Blueridge will make you happy, if only Heinz satisfies your palate, then you will always doubt yourself about not going for the Martin.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion