The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-01-2018, 09:03 AM

Default What do you wax your car with? (If at all?)

I've always gotten my absolute best result with good ol' Turtle Wax hardshell wax. You know, that pasty green stuff. I love the look of it, especially when buffed out. My dad used that spray-on wax every once in a while with good results, but I always questioned its durability over time. I'm not sure if polish protects as well as a good hardshell wax, but I'm no expert. I like the results of hardshell, but I'm looking at other options that may be a little easier and less time-consuming. I've used liquid wax as well, but to be honest, it's been so long ago (20 years maybe?), I don't remember the results.

What do you use? Results?
Old 05-01-2018, 09:45 AM

I never wax, or even wash my car. Just let the sun and rain take care of things for me.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:21 AM

For my daily driver, just a synthetic spray wax with some UV protection. Weekend fun car is a different story (Obsession Warning). First a clear bra after professional surface preparation. Then a ceramic coating on top of that. Then a liquid gloss treatment (Adams Polishes makes a great one) that will last 3-4 weeks to really make it shine.

Cincy
Old 05-01-2018, 10:27 AM

I've used a bunch. I used Meguiars Cleaner Wax for years and though it was the best.

Until I tried Liquid Glass, based on a tip from a car-detailing obsessed friend.

https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Glass-.../dp/B0002JMIEK

Thousands of reviews, and 4.5 star rating.

It's not wax. Not silicone, not oil, not grease, not teflon. They call it "clear carbon"... I'm not sure what that even is, but it is great. Ridiculously easy to use, also. Not allowed in California - so you know it must be good!
Old 05-01-2018, 10:51 AM
G625 mistral-k

Over the years, I have used Mothers, Meguiar's & Turtle wax and have always gotten good results. I have not observed any significant differences. When I am pressed for time, after washing the car I have used Turtle Wax's Spray - Wax & Dry. It provides good results for little effort, however it does not last nearly as long as when I use the more traditional products.

Car Outfitter just did their 2018 review of car waxes and the link is below.

https://www.caroutfitter.com/best-car-wax-reviews/
Old 05-01-2018, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

I traded in my last car - a Honda CRV in March. I'd had it for two years and NEVER washed it. It was clean when I got it and they valet it every time it gets serviced - that means three times in two years. I live in southern England so we get plenty of free car washes from above.
I now have a later CRV in black. It shows everything, including bird droppings.
They threw in an Autoglym finish to seal the deal, and I have a little case full of the stuff.
So far (since 20th March), I've put it through the supermarket car-wash once.
I got a black one because my wife has a black mini.
Black is NOT a good finish for a lazy car carer like me - I guess that is why silver is so common.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:37 AM

Thumbs up

Nu Finish.....best product this lazy old timer has ever used. It's a liquid that goes on easy, dries quickly, and lasts forever under all manner of weather. I've used it for over 20 years on clearcoat, old enamel, and scratched up old trucks. The stuff is amazing.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd View Post
Nu Finish.....best product this lazy old timer has ever used. It's a liquid that goes on easy, dries quickly, and lasts forever under all manner of weather. I've used it for over 20 years on clearcoat, old enamel, and scratched up old trucks. The stuff is amazing.
Interesting. I've tried Nu Finish once or twice, and always found it to be an absolute bear to fully remove. The white haze just won't seem to buff off evenly, to expose a nice brilliant shine.

Also, Nu Finish has silicone in it - which affects auto paint the same way it does guitars. It looks nice, but makes it super duper difficult to ever bond/paint in the future. Auto Body guys HATE HATE silicone the same way luthiers do when it's time to glue/refinish something.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:26 PM

Default Zymol - expensive but the best!

https://www.autogeek.net/zymol-japon...hannelid=BIZRA
Old 05-01-2018, 02:38 PM

Gliptone:

https://gliptone.com/professional/wa...x-10-5-oz.html

Not going to reduce the work, but hard to beat for protection and appearance.

Last edited by H165; 05-02-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

http://www.onegrand.com/paint-care.html

I've used Blitz Wax by One Grand for over 20 years on both daily drivers and "garage queens" (Porsches). This stuff looks great and lasts six months between detailings, but it also is very easy to apply and remove and it does not leave white waxy remains on black trim or glass like lots of other waxes do.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Some times I spend an extra buck at the drive through car wash for wax. I've had one car for nine years and the other for 11. They look fine.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 05-01-2018, 03:53 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Interesting. I've tried Nu Finish once or twice, and always found it to be an absolute bear to fully remove. The white haze just won't seem to buff off evenly, to expose a nice brilliant shine.

Also, Nu Finish has silicone in it - which affects auto paint the same way it does guitars. It looks nice, but makes it super duper difficult to ever bond/paint in the future. Auto Body guys HATE HATE silicone the same way luthiers do when it's time to glue/refinish something.
Never a problem with me.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:06 PM

I tend to use Canada Geese droppings. It's free and plentiful.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:45 PM

I have never washed nor waxed my truck in the 24 years that I have owned it. I let the rain wash it and I guess I’m just not into the time commitment of waxing. If I was, I would make my grandkids do it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic