The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 09:11 AM

The replacement guitars you listed look to be the "S" or concert size in each product line. These are all going to be, essentially, the same size as what you have. Perhaps you would want to look at the jumbo or dread sized in each series - FG, LG, LL, etc?

You are getting a little blow-back on here about your physical size and the size of the guitar and how that shouldn't be a problem, etc. I'm 6'8", 240, and I know that when I play a smaller concert or folk sized guitar, I tend to hunch over it when sitting down. Its not a huge deal, and I like the feel of smaller bodied guitars, but I understand where you are coming from. On a smaller body guitar I have a bunch of arm length to find a place for and have to adjust how I hold the guitar against my body.

Because you asked for an opinion, mine would be go for an FG800 or FS800. Best guitars for that dollar value out there. I tell myself that my FG700 is a beater, but the fact is I like it so much I end up treating it like a much more expensive guitar, which defeats the purpose of trying not to worry about dinging it up, etc.

Play the FG800 before you buy an FS800 - if the size of the current guitar is bothering you the FS will not improve things.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 05-25-2018, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
Perhaps you would want to look at the jumbo or dread sized in each series - FG, LG, LL, etc?.
I'd agree that the FG size is a good fit and is really comfortable...pretty dreamy, really. Not sure why, but seems more comfortable than traditional Martin D style shapes...The FG Transacoustic is a fun guitar and a good price for a guitar with that much in it - pickup, effects. That FG size is really nice.

I stupidly sold my FG180 50th...to some 6'8" guy on this forum...
Old 05-25-2018, 10:09 AM

If you have a Guitar Center near you, check out the Washburn guitars.
They are making some very nice solid wood top, laminated s & b guitars right now that are way better than their asking price.

Some of these guitars are exclusive to GC.
They offer Dreds with and without a cutaway and most have a built in pickup with a built in tuner.

These guitars will surprise you when you play them.
There are several models that are under $400.00.
Add a nice hard case and you are still at the $500.00 mark.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You are getting a little blow-back on here about your physical size and the size of the guitar and how that shouldn't be a problem, etc. I'm 6'8", 240, and I know that when I play a smaller concert or folk sized guitar, I tend to hunch over it when sitting down. Its not a huge deal, and I like the feel of smaller bodied guitars, but I understand where you are coming from.....
I believe you are mistaken.

He did not say the guitar was uncomfortable to play, nor did anyone suggest playing it is no problem. He explicitly stated that it looks too small. And that was the main criteria given.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-25-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
I stupidly sold my FG180 50th...to some 6'8" guy on this forum...
....and I am loving that guitar! Made a few modifications - lowered action, bone saddle, ebony bridge pins. Really nice sounding guitar. I see you also sold your other FG180 50th not too long ago....
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 05-25-2018, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I see you also sold your other FG180 50th not too long ago....
I am trying my darndest to reduce my hoarding to some level of reasonability but I am just a junkie who can't control myself with guitars flying in and out all the time and the regrets and shame are constant...
Old 05-25-2018, 03:09 PM

To the OP, I am 6'-6" and 300# (former football lineman). I play the ukulele a LOT, which would look totally absurd by your standard. Don't feel bad about the appearance - I don't really care. What matters is that your guitar sounds good, plays well, and sounds good. Did I mention sounds good??

My wife looked into $2K bass flutes to avoid putting her far superior $7K bass flute in harm's way at jams and while camping. We decided to insure it against loss, and enjoy "the good stuff" at every opportunity.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion