The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-03-2018, 06:24 AM

Default Re-discovering the Tele

My playing partner and I had a practice/jam session yesterday and spent some time working on some lesser-played material we needed to polish as well as some old favorites.
Just for fun, I had my Telecaster plugged in and he noticed so he suggested we try it on a few selections instead of two acoustics. the result was so good that we are going to incorporate it into our next gig.
Using the Tele to compliment his Eastman E20D gave the songs such a great flavor and we really had a great time with the new-found "sound".
I was almost going to sell it, but now I won't and I'm glad.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-03-2018, 12:14 PM

teles are forever.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 05-17-2018, 01:53 AM

Absolutely. My strats are in the shop for a setup which of course, takes weeks to months to get done....

So I picked up my tele and have leaned on it for now.

What a world of tonal color, joy of bending, the thousands of sounds you get out of it. Clean neck pickups for jazzz, soo smooth. Mid position for that Eric Johnson chorus clean...and bridge for serious heavy metal or spanking blues.

And this is all without using the guitar for the reason I bought, country. Oh, the country, sounds like a pedal steel when you bend that B string on the 8th fret.....and that great tele pop.....

Yes, by far, the most versatile, sensitive and rewarding guitar I have. I might ask the shop to hold onto my strats for a while longer...
Old 05-17-2018, 04:49 AM

Yes, I too love Telecasters.

However you've inadvertently pointed out something else and that's the complimentary tone of acoustic rhythm and electric lead together which I believe to be a beautiful combination. (In some ways preferable to playing two acoustics or two electrics).
Old 05-17-2018, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
My strats are in the shop for a setup which of course, takes weeks to months to get done...
FWIW I'd say you need a new shop lol. Anything over a couple of days is ridiculous for a setup.

Honestly setups are not as difficult as they seem. There are numerous websites that contain great info (some along with pics), or YouTube videos that can walk you through setups for any guitar.

Due to the volume of guitars that I had coming in and going out, it was a much better alternative for me to learn how to do my own setups. Oftentimes, even though a shop may be highly experienced, they can never get it dialed in like the owner can.

and to the OP's point, Teles are fantastic guitars. Versatile workhorses for sure!
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars