The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-14-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new friend.
I got my new to me Bourgeois Slope D 12 (Adi/Mahog) three weeks ago. My other guitar is a Larrivee 000-40RE Custom which is as sweet as can be. While it has the voice of a soloist, the Bourgeois sounds like an entire chorus. The voice is so big and textured, it is taking a bit of time to wrap my mind around it. But I am getting it under control. It came with new Elixers which were not for me. My go-to with the Larrivee are J Pearse 80/20's were quite jangly at first, but have mellowed nicely on the Bourgeois. I have a set of Martin Monels that will go on next, for something completely different. The action on the guitar is low - about 2mm at the 12th fret. But I find the string resistance to be significant and tiring for my hands which are relatively new to the guitar. I reached out to Bourgeois and they have kindly offered to do a set-up for me. As I live in Maine (and grew up a mile or so from their shop - a textile mill at the time), the trip will be an easy one. I want to check out the mothership, anyways,
Well, enjoy your new baby. I have no experience with any other guitars, other than my Larrivee. But the Bourgeois is just an elegant instrument, in every way.
David
Old 12-14-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Congrats on your new friend.
I got my new to me Bourgeois Slope D 12 (Adi/Mahog) three weeks ago. My other guitar is a Larrivee 000-40RE Custom which is as sweet as can be. While it has the voice of a soloist, the Bourgeois sounds like an entire chorus. The voice is so big and textured, it is taking a bit of time to wrap my mind around it. But I am getting it under control. It came with new Elixers which were not for me. My go-to with the Larrivee are J Pearse 80/20's were quite jangly at first, but have mellowed nicely on the Bourgeois. I have a set of Martin Monels that will go on next, for something completely different. The action on the guitar is low - about 2mm at the 12th fret. But I find the string resistance to be significant and tiring for my hands which are relatively new to the guitar. I reached out to Bourgeois and they have kindly offered to do a set-up for me. As I live in Maine (and grew up a mile or so from their shop - a textile mill at the time), the trip will be an easy one. I want to check out the mothership, anyways,
Well, enjoy your new baby. I have no experience with any other guitars, other than my Larrivee. But the Bourgeois is just an elegant instrument, in every way.
David
David,

That’s awesome and I’m jealous you’re heading to the source. Please pass on that their hard work is appreciated. I believe they are set up with Dadarrios so you might give those a try. I also wonder if the Larrivee came with lights vs mediums on that slope? For the past 8 years I’ve been playing elixirs but I’ve recently switched to non coated and they seem to be better than I recall. Happy picking and best of luck making music!
Old 12-14-2019, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

I bought a new Bourgeois Signature OM 5 or 6 years ago and it had an unusual intermittent buzz. They told me to send it to them. I brought it to them and they re-fret the guitar, did a setup and shipped it back to me at no charge. I still own the guitar and it continues to be one of the best guitars I’ve played. Great company to do business with, and it’s an enjoyable place to visit. Dana still works at his bench. Here he is holding a guitar he was working on during my last visit to his shop.

Old 12-14-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I bought a new Bourgeois Signature OM 5 or 6 years ago and it had an unusual intermittent buzz. They told me to send it to them. I brought it to them and they re-fret the guitar, did a setup and shipped it back to me at no charge. I still own the guitar and it continues to be one of the best guitars I’ve played. Great company to do business with, and it’s an enjoyable place to visit. Dana still works at his bench. Here he is holding a guitar he was working on during my last visit to his shop.

That's really cool. A visit would definitely be on my bucket list.
Old 12-14-2019, 11:07 PM

My Slope D Banjo Killer Custom is my favorite guitar I’ve ever played! My D41 is louder, but the Bourgeois is just magical! Superb balance with clarity that is unreal. Every single note just rings out so clear. Mines a short scale too which makes it so easy to play.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 12-14-2019, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! Great looking guitar!

Andantino:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Old 12-15-2019, 08:07 AM

Congratulations on a fine instrument. Every Bourgeois I've seen has been a wonderful guitar.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 12-15-2019, 09:21 AM

I just love mine.It's one of the easiest to play for me.I love the sustain and depth .Its my go to for couch play
Martin OMJM
Martin Jeff Daniels custom OM #33
Martin Eric Clapton Custom Signature
Martin CEO-7
Martin 0-18
Guild F65ce
Waterloo WL12 MH
Fender Stratocaster 1980 (American

My biggest fear is when i die my wife will sell my guitars for what I told her they cost
Old 12-15-2019, 09:37 AM

The problem is now I want to try out their other offerings: large soundhole om, Andy falco signature, and of course, the slope D.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
David,

TI also wonder if the Larrivee came with lights vs mediums on that slope? For the past 8 years I’ve been playing elixirs but I’ve recently switched to non coated and they seem to be better than I recall. Happy picking and best of luck making music!
Cheers, mate. The Larrivee was pre-owned and commissioned by a company-endorsed musician who worked closely with the shop on his build. And he made a wonderful guitar that I was lucky enough to find on Ebay. Turns out it did not have the presence he needed for his stage work. So he had Larrivee build an SD-50 or SD-60 for him. He had my guitar strung with Elixers (13-56) which sounded awesome but were way too much for my virgin fingers, as a new guitar player. He suggested Nanowebs (11-52), but they were a great, sonic disappointment. The kind folks on the Larrivee forum strongly recommended Pearse Phosphor Bronze and so I tried them and the 80/20's. Both, for me, are an excellent match.
Again, congratulations on your new, Maine-made, guitar. As a Lewiston native, that I am proud that Dana and his people make there guitars there, in a re-purposed mill building looking for a reason to be.
When I was growing up in the 60's, not so far from what is now their shop, the massive hulk of classic New England brick structures that covered many acres housed thousands of workers whose hands transformed thread into fabric (eg: Bates mfg) and leather into shoes. Tragically, in the process, they added to the reason why the adjacent Androscoggin River was one of the 10 most polluted rivers in the country at the time. In fact, Sen. Ed Muskie (Presidential candidate/J Carter Secy of State), who spearheaded the federal Clean Water Act of 1972, lived just up river in a paper mill town which, like other communities, used the river as an open sewer. Those days are blessedly gone, and the river is rejuvenated. But the textile and shoe trade was not, and fell victim, like so many other blue collar industries, to foreign competition. And when they folded one by one, the hulks of mill buildings stood empty, waiting for the wrecking ball or a savior. And Dana is one of several entrepreneurs who has breathed new life into old, storied buildings.
Sorry for the history lesson. Guess it is just one of those Sunday mornings. But it does feel good to make music with a beautiful instrument that was crafted in my home town, in a building where other high quality products were fashioned by hand for more than a century. Indeed, if I stick my ear up to the tone hole, I swear I can hear the clacking of commercial looms and the the pounding of nails connecting shoe uppers and their soles.
David
Old 12-15-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
Cheers, mate. The Larrivee was pre-owned and commissioned by a company-endorsed musician who worked closely with the shop on his build. And he made a wonderful guitar that I was lucky enough to find on Ebay. Turns out it did not have the presence he needed for his stage work. So he had Larrivee build an SD-50 or SD-60 for him. He had my guitar strung with Elixers (13-56) which sounded awesome but were way too much for my virgin fingers, as a new guitar player. He suggested Nanowebs (11-52), but they were a great, sonic disappointment. The kind folks on the Larrivee forum strongly recommended Pearse Phosphor Bronze and so I tried them and the 80/20's. Both, for me, are an excellent match.
Again, congratulations on your new, Maine-made, guitar. As a Lewiston native, that I am proud that Dana and his people make there guitars there, in a re-purposed mill building looking for a reason to be.
When I was growing up in the 60's, not so far from what is now their shop, the massive hulk of classic New England brick structures that covered many acres housed thousands of workers whose hands transformed thread into fabric (eg: Bates mfg) and leather into shoes. Tragically, in the process, they added to the reason why the adjacent Androscoggin River was one of the 10 most polluted rivers in the country at the time. In fact, Sen. Ed Muskie (Presidential candidate/J Carter Secy of State), who spearheaded the federal Clean Water Act of 1972, lived just up river in a paper mill town which, like other communities, used the river as an open sewer. Those days are blessedly gone, and the river is rejuvenated. But the textile and shoe trade was not, and fell victim, like so many other blue collar industries, to foreign competition. And when they folded one by one, the hulks of mill buildings stood empty, waiting for the wrecking ball or a savior. And Dana is one of several entrepreneurs who has breathed new life into old, storied buildings.
Sorry for the history lesson. Guess it is just one of those Sunday mornings. But it does feel good to make music with a beautiful instrument that was crafted in my home town, in a building where other high quality products were fashioned by hand for more than a century. Indeed, if I stick my ear up to the tone hole, I swear I can hear the clacking of commercial looms and the the pounding of nails connecting shoe uppers and their soles.
David
Now that’s well written copy. IMO it’s always cool to support small shops and craftsmanship , but it’s even better when they’re vested in the communities and end products set a new bar.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:56 AM

NICE guitar. Congratulations. I love the grain.
Old 12-15-2019, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Now that’s well written copy. IMO it’s always cool to support small shops and craftsmanship , but it’s even better when they’re vested in the communities and end products set a new bar.
Thanks, and amen and amen.
David
Old 12-15-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
The problem is now I want to try out their other offerings: large soundhole om, Andy falco signature, and of course, the slope D.
I LOVE my Slope D Banjo Killer and I’m wanting a Vintage D to go with it....and I’ll take an OM too since it’s Christmas!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 12-15-2019, 02:12 PM

Congratulations, and Happy NGD to you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
ngd