The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-07-2022, 08:09 AM

After using quite a few less-expensive Capos, I’ve settled on 2 expensive ones. I use a Bill Stokes Showcase(I believe it’s the original McKinney design) for my 16” radius Martin D41 and a a G7th Heritage for my compound radius Bourgeois. I have a Kyser that stays in the GS Mini case and I still have a G7th Nashville that gets used during practice occasionally. I ran through the performance 2 and 3 capos, but they’re long gone. All that being said, the Showcase has zero tuning issues and sounds great, but it’s not as clean as the Heritage. The Heritage is the only capo I’ve used that the tone is as clean and natural with the capo on as it is without a capo. That’s where I see their justification.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 11-07-2022, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post
Now you've got me nervous! The sales tax on my last guitar was over $800. Am I obligated to find a $1,000 capo?

I think if you try a $30 pick and it increases your joy while you play that's all the justification you need.
It sounds like you might already have everything required for nirvanic bliss.

I recommend the Marie Kondo method of capo selection. Gather up all of your capos and place them in a pile in the center of the floor. Sit beside them, picking each one up, and asking yourself "Does this bring me joy?" (You may have to opt for the longer "Does this one bring me more joy than all the others?" Eventually one will rise to the top, and you can then move the others on by donating them to less fortunate capo-less players.

As far as picks go, I played Fender mediums for a LOT of years and decided to go on the great "less than 5 dollar" pick hunt. The hunt for a new pick was necessary because I realized that my "old man's skin" just didn't provide the same grip and/or sound that my younger self got with the Fender mediums. After auditioning everything I could find I settled on Dunlop Primetone smooth 346 large triangle 1.4mm picks as the ultimate bargain. I don't even feel bad if I lose a dollar pick now and then.

They got the secret sauce and improve my playing somewhat north of 46%.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:50 AM

Does anyone own the new Paige Pro capo? Jeremy the Guitar Hunter just put out a video on it. I wonder if it’s as good or better than the ones mentioned in this thread.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Expensive toys get expensive accessories.
I thought that until I actually bought $100 + capos and discovered that Elliot, G7th Heritage, Shubb Fine Tune and D’Addario capos do make a difference. I use them when recording.

The problem with them is how easily they can be lost when out performing. So mostly I take a bunch of Shubb Deluxe with me. Solid, reliable and cheap to replace.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 11-10-2022, 05:54 AM

Default compund radius and capo technique

Just a comment. If you have a compound radius fretboard, you could in theory start with a capo radiused for the highest up the fretboard you would use it, then adjust it progressively more angled on the lower frets. This would decrease the effective radius. I dont actually think this is practical but I do note that with a lot of players the high E side of the capo winds up a bit closer to the nut and on a slight angle, probably from bumping the hand in the first position. This has happened to me and I simply cheat very slightly this way when positioning and have not noticed intonation issues.
Old 11-10-2022, 07:31 AM

Capo Question - Elliott or Other

Hmmm. Compound radius?

Sounds like a job for a G7th Performance 3 capo.

Or it's big, more expensive, brother, A G7th Hertiage yoke-style capo.

Both have the G7th A.R.T. (Adaptive Radius Technology). I use the Performance 3, of which I have two.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 11-23-2022, 09:48 AM

OP here...

I bought an elliott eliet and it does sound pretty different than my shubb. Its brighter, clear, more articulate and more sustain. I did some recordings and its clear. Is that better? Maybe. I have old strings on this guitar and it made them sound more new. I would have to see what happens with new strings.

It made a difference on fretted and non fretted strings which is interesting. Its like the shubb foam and heavy capo material deadens the whole guitar. Again, this isnt bad just different. Its nice to have options.

I wonder if the paige is as nice.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
OP here...

I bought an elliott eliet and it does sound pretty different than my shubb. Its brighter, clear, more articulate and more sustain. I did some recordings and its clear. Is that better? Maybe. I have old strings on this guitar and it made them sound more new. I would have to see what happens with new strings.

It made a difference on fretted and non fretted strings which is interesting. Its like the shubb foam and heavy capo material deadens the whole guitar. Again, this isnt bad just different. Its nice to have options.

Glad that you are discovering the Elliott and what it offers. Back in 2007 when I first got my Elliotts, there wasn’t quite the selection of yoke style capos available so I can’t comment on the Paige. To my ear there is something about the Teflon tubing on the steel that gives a truer tone without using a lot of pressure. I do also use the Shubbs but with the hard rubber the tone is different and sometimes that is what I want. So, I think of differences as being choices as opposed to one being intrinsically better than the other.
Best,
Jayne
Old 11-23-2022, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

I own guitars with a range of radii. I have found 3 brands of capo that I like and use: Shubb, G7 Heritage, and Elliott. Shubb is by far the cheapest and while it’s good, it doesn’t work on many of my guitar because of restricted radius, width and depth. I have been a huge fan of G7 Heritage with the ARC technology. It has been my go-to. It is expensive and has one minor technical drawback. To get the adaptive radius to fit different guitars, I find I have to run my thumb across the rubber pad and kinda pre-shape a new radius. Otherwise I have to overtighten the bar to get it to conform to the new radius. What has become my favorite of late is the Elliott Elite. This capo is truly a work of art and Scott and Mellisa are a class act to work with. The Elliot capos are expensive and only come in a variety of single radii. However, working with Scott and Mellisa I have found their recommendations for specific guitars with a compound radius work very well. So while you need to have a dedicated capo for a dedicated guitar — you really can’t beat the clear tone and the artful workmanship.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:04 PM

Capo Question - Elliott or Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Edmonds View Post
Can someone please explain what makes a capo worth $100+? I have several Shubb capos and cannot imagine what would make me spend more than that. They work perfectly.
This has spawned a number of replies, including one from the original poster about a different unasked question.

Not all capoes cost over $100. Some responses contain reasons why the owner appreciates the nuances of the more expensive ($100+) types.

For me, the ones I favor did not cost me over $100 each. Far from it. As an early adopter (pre-covid) of these, I will allow they may cost more now, but probably not that much more.

As any manufacturer (or at least their accountants) will attest to, the cost of manufacture gets less expensive as all the initial design work, making molds and whatever else is needed, initial testing, and post-maunfacturing testing is complete. The start-up cost is amortized over the length of the product and can be reduced to near zero, counting any costs for maintenance and upkeep. Thus outside of recouping expenses, the cost can be kept low, or at least even over the projected manufacturing run. Thus the profit increases over time to offset initial costs and maybe even designed low initial pricing.

Anyway, ignoring the last paragraph, I paid a little over $100 total for all three of my G7th capoes: 2x Performance 3's and 1x Newport 12 string capo with the compensated pad. And I call that a bargain given how well they work. For me.

I am not adverse to explore new things, and they don't always work out. Like the D'Addario capo I wasted a few bucks on. (See previous posts to this thread.) Meh.
The Shubb capoes were ultimately a waste of money, but they were better than most stuff out there at the time (About 50 years ago?). But the more I used them the less I liked them, which led to using them less, mostly because ot excessive re-tuning. (Audiences hate tuning and re-tuning.) And ultimately to adopting G7th capoes, but then only when I need a capo.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 11-23-2022 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap217 View Post
OP here...

I ordered a G7th Heritage as well. Ill report on that when I get it.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

I've recently bought a Paige Click, the more expensive $70 one, and it is fabulous. The description of how and why it works so well is on their website and does not overstate the product's performance.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-24-2022, 08:19 PM

Peter Hlavaty

I post this information every time this subject comes up, every month or so.

I think a yoke capo gives the best performance, but (for me) the most important thing is that it can live up above the nut so I won’t leave it behind all the time and have to go and buy a new one.

There is a very good hand made copy of the Elliot capo available from a Slovakian mandolin builder named Peter Hlavaty. It is not up to the jewelers quality of the Elliot, but it is quite good and costs about $40. I have three of them. What is actually the best feature of these things is the very large tension knob, which is easier on the fingers and allows for more torque and control on tightening it than the little knots on all the other yoke capos.

You can contact him on Facebook at Hlavaty Instruments. Search it and send him a message to inquire.

So if you want to roll like the rich guys with their jewelry-class capos, but don’t want to empty your bank account to enjoy the style and function of those rich-guy capo, check out what Peter Hlavaty can do for you…

1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 12-07-2022, 09:57 AM

I received the G7th today. Question. Is it normal for the top part to not lock in like the elliot? I assume when its under pressure on the guitar, it holds and stays locked. Just making sure there isnt an issue with mine.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:20 AM

Seems to be normal as it’s the same on mine and a buddy’s. Not an issue for me. Curious to hear your comparison with the Elliot, esp on maintaining tuning at varied radii as well as any tone variances.
'04 Martin D28
'13 Martin 0-15M Custom Mahogany
Guild F112, Takamine EC132SC, National Delphi, Blueridge BR-371, Tacoma CB105CE, Peavey EVH Special, Hohner G11M, Loar Mandolin, Uke

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion