The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 06:54 PM

On the other hand I have a certain wood guitar that I might be able to get 50% today of what I paid for it 20 or so years ago. That has to be on a good day too. It's in good condition and still plays great, but it's just not something anyone wants because so many of them were mass produced.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-18-2018, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Hey Tom, I was going by what I got for a couple Rainsongs and an X7. Like was said before, if your price gets too close to a new one...I think most of us would want new with a warranty. I'm not sure what "too close" is though.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Hey Tom, I was going by what I got for a couple Rainsongs and an X7. Like was said before, if your price gets too close to a new one...I think most of us would want new with a warranty. I'm not sure what "too close" is though.
Yeah. New. I like the smell of carbon fiber in the morning.

I sold my RainSong Shorty earlier this year; considering what the price is on the CH line, I priced mine to be more attractive to a buyer than a new, lesser finish. In essence, RainSong releasing lower priced models hurt the resale.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-08-2018 at 04:48 AM. Reason: No longer needed
Old 07-18-2018, 08:51 PM

Oh, one more thing. I feel this post has been extremely helpful. I see the range of opinions on listing price, and all with good rationale.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Yeah. New. I like the smell of carbon fiber in the morning.

I sold my RainSong Shorty earlier this year; considering what the price is on the CH line, I priced mine to be more attractive to a buyer than a new, lesser finish. In essence, RainSong releasing lower priced models hurt the resale.
I tell myself I like the new product smell too. I think it is great rationalization and I use it often too. With cars and anything else there is generally more risk to the buyer when you go into the used market, but the discounts often make some product reachable that wouldn't be otherwise.

Rainsong has really hurt the pricing for used RS, but that's not really their concern though the used market does implicitly affect their bottom line. However I don't think it affects it much.

Blackbird and Emerald have a perceived scarcity, and I don't follow the other CF manufacturers enough to really comment. I have considered selling my Lucky13 and I think it would move pretty fast even if I discounted it less than 10% of what I originally paid for it. I also watch Emerald closely because I have my X20 and I am certain I can get 100% of what I paid for it today given the offers I have seen in the past year or two. Each guitar stands alone, so buyer beware.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-19-2018, 08:04 AM
Charter Member

Why would you not post it here? There is a lot more exposure on Reverb....good luck !
Old 07-19-2018, 09:14 AM
Guest 928

While I have generally bought high and sold low, I did have an above-cost offer on the Emerald X10-OSN nylon string guitar. I was playing a Sunday afternoon in the park and an audient came up and asked about the guitar. And then he wanted to try it. And then he wanted to buy it. He asked me what I paid and I told him--he offered me more. I was not willing to sell at the time and still have the guitar. That might have been a once-in-a-lifetime thing, but it might also speak to the value of having a custom instrument.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
While I have generally bought high and sold low, I did have an above-cost offer on the Emerald X10-OSN nylon string guitar. I was playing a Sunday afternoon in the park and an audient came up and asked about the guitar. And then he wanted to try it. And then he wanted to buy it. He asked me what I paid and I told him--he offered me more. I was not willing to sell at the time and still have the guitar. That might have been a once-in-a-lifetime thing, but it might also speak to the value of having a custom instrument.
I know I would love to sit down with your custom nylon someday assuming I ever get the chance.

My technique for moving an instrument is pretty close to yours. I generally buy high (sometimes used) and then give away the instrument to an interested niece or nephew or friend of the family. In general my profit margin is awfully negative. I have made a few sales that were above asking price. I made 8x my purchase cost on an accordion and 1.5x on a cornet, but these are the only two of note. I have done a few swaps and loans too where I doubt I will ever see the instrument again. That's OK. My goal is to get more homemade music in the world and anytime I let an instrument (or a book) go I like to think I have helped made the world a better place. Sometimes I go out and get a replacement and sometimes I don't.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:04 AM

Default Need advice on listing price for x20 opus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post

Rainsong has really hurt the pricing for used RS, but that's not really their concern though the used market does implicitly affect their bottom line. However I don't think it affects it much.......

Each guitar stands alone, so buyer beware.

My opinion is that, regardless of manufacturer, when it involves the resale value of CF guitars, it comes down to features/specs and aesthetic.

Unlike our wooden ancestors, from a tonal aspect these guitars are unchanging-whether from age or even with A/B comparisons with the same make and model. On the other hand, aren’t wooden guitars sought after like vintage wines? Vintage guitars that sell for more today then when sold new?

CF guitars have an entirely different appeal, and let’s face it, don’t age gracefully. If I buy a used CF guitar it is for the same reasons I would buy one new:

1.) the right specs and aesthetics, and

2.) apart from a lesser price....
-Travels well
-has good tone
- is impervious to the elements

Last edited by steelvibe; 07-19-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

New opus x20 was 1495 without Pick-Up. Pick-Up was 295 upgrade just for clarifying original prices
Old 07-23-2018, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Why would you not post it here? There is a lot more exposure on Reverb....good luck !
Good point. You're actually right about that. And I do think I will be posting it here too. For some reason, I had it in my mind that selling a guitar was something you did on reverb. First time selling...

Thanks for the tip!
Now to figure out how to post it...
Old 07-23-2018, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttyprof View Post
Good point. You're actually right about that. And I do think I will be posting it here too. For some reason, I had it in my mind that selling a guitar was something you did on reverb. First time selling...

Thanks for the tip!
Now to figure out how to post it...
Go to the AGF Classifieds and read the posts there on how to do it. Upgrade to a Charter Membership, and you are good to go. Price it appropriately and it will sell. Be sure you have access to good packing and shipping so you can get the guitar to a new, anxious owner. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The AGF classifieds might be a good place to start, however, I have tried that twice with zero results, but sold immediately after posting on Reverb.

Reverb also offers a safe selling/buying environment. With AGF, you're on your own if there is a problem.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-08-2018 at 04:50 AM. Reason: Comment on moderator action
Old 07-26-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
.....CF guitars .... don’t age gracefully......
I respectfully disagree with the way you worded that. Maybe it just is my misinterpretation of what you wrote. I have no issue with the rest of your post.

Granted that CF guitars do not "open up" or "break in" like wood instruments. They stay the same on day one as they will be in 500 years - in 10,000 years assuming they survive physically. I can tell you that my 17 year old 2001 built WS-1000 looks, feels, and plays the same as it did brand new. And it sounds the same to me too. That is why I bought it.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

I was wondering about that statement too....Earl is correct.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber