The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-05-2018, 08:48 AM

Gorgeous! My X20 is a few years older and wants to have a play date. Who knows where that could lead?

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-05-2018, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
As for your neck, did you provide a mold sample to Emerald of your Collings or did you just request? I know in my case I requested a Santa Cruz soft V but they had no examples of that neck so they sent me a mold compound and had me make a mold and send it back. I'm thinking if you just stated Collings neck and they had access to a Collings there then that might be the difference
Alistair didn’t tell me about this mold sample possibility. I sent drawings I’ve done myself (based upon Collings info that I slightly modified) with profiles and measurements at the 1st, 9th and 12th fret. Not sure how it’s translated from a production perspective... it would be interesting to get more details
Old 07-05-2018, 03:50 PM

That is simply beautiful. I bought my daughter a relatively cheap Ziricote (veneer) uke, and that has really kindled my interest in the idea of a ziricote guitar. Lends itself so nicely to the sinuous curves of the X20!
Old 07-05-2018, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Sinuous... I like sinuous. Some of my favorite things on this Earth are sinuous.

Old 07-06-2018, 06:28 AM

Just beautiful. That's still my favorite veneer layout, with the contrasting sapwood running down the center. The pinless bridge sets it off, too. Congrats!

Taylor NS34c
Tayor 616 (2016)
Emerald Custom X20 Artisan

Some past guitars:
1968 Martin D35-S
Martin 00-28VS
Rainsong Dread
Old 07-06-2018, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

That is rather lovely.

It’s also one less guitar they have to make before they get to mine
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-06-2018, 11:43 AM

Does the grain look even deeper in person? It's beautiful, congrats!

How was it shipped? Did the Post Office deliver it, or one of the ground carriers?
Old 07-06-2018, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
Alistair didn’t tell me about this mold sample possibility. I sent drawings I’ve done myself (based upon Collings info that I slightly modified) with profiles and measurements at the 1st, 9th and 12th fret. Not sure how it’s translated from a production perspective... it would be interesting to get more details
In my case it was not a perfect situation in that I no longer had the SC guitar with the soft V neck that I so adored. Instead, I had a SC 1929 guitar that had their standard V which is decidedly sharp at the V apex. They sent me a polymer compound that you put into boiling water (in a bag) and it melts. Then you apply it around you neck two frets down from the headstock with some protective painters tape around the neck to protect the finish. Let harden and remove and sent it back to Emerald.

To best simulate the soft V I told Sean to tell Alistair to shave off a little of the material around the V apex, somewhere between .125" and .250". He really nailed it. The result is extremely close (as I recall) to the SC soft V neck. I'm hoping he made a full mold of my completed X20 neck so as to be able to duplicate it for another custom woody, this time an X7. Waiting to hear on that now as he's on holiday.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
How was it shipped? Did the Post Office deliver it, or one of the ground carriers?
I live in Norway, so not sure the info will be relevant for you
All I know is that Emerald is using An Post for shipping. I guess it goes to USPS when the parcel arrives in the US.
The guitar and its case arrived perfectly protected in a very thick and tight box.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
They sent me a polymer compound that you put into boiling water (in a bag) and it melts. Then you apply it around you neck two frets down from the headstock with some protective painters tape around the neck to protect the finish. Let harden and remove and sent it back to Emerald.
We exchanged a couple of emails with Alistair and he explained the process a bit. Since the whole guitar is made in a mold, any deviation exceeding the standard neck dimensions is a quite difficult process (less so when it's a smaller neck). In my case he told me he had to limit a bit the thickness up the neck to preserve its geometry.

Now I have to say that the difference between the neck of my X20 and the model isn't night and day, they're still pretty close. I'm just very picky
The point is that Emerald's capability to perfectly duplicate a neck depends of the dimensions and shape you want. Smaller no problem, bigger can be more challenging.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tøf View Post
We exchanged a couple of emails with Alistair and he explained the process a bit. Since the whole guitar is made in a mold, any deviation exceeding the standard neck dimensions is a quite difficult process (less so when it's a smaller neck). In my case he told me he had to limit a bit the thickness up the neck to preserve its geometry.

Now I have to say that the difference between the neck of my X20 and the model isn't night and day, they're still pretty close. I'm just very picky
The point is that Emerald's capability to perfectly duplicate a neck depends of the dimensions and shape you want. Smaller no problem, bigger can be more challenging.
My guitar was delayed by quite a bit and I was told that Alistair himself was working on mine and I wonder if the whole custom neck shape via a mold just ended up being more of a PITA than it was worth which is why I'm trying to find out if they kept my mold or even better made a mold of my finished guitar. That would have been smart as it would have given them a 'soft V' to offer to others looking for a V neck. It's the only way I'll do another custom.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

I found some 510 locking tuners for my X20. In combination with the pinless bridge, changing strings has never been so easy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 042C1800-CA2E-4BB3-9206-520E106D2EB1.jpg (24.1 KB, 82 views)
Old 08-29-2018, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Very cool, Tøf! I have never tried locking tuners. Do they add much weight to the headstock? Were they a direct fit with no drilling?
Old 08-29-2018, 10:53 PM

Such a beauty. Congratulations.I´m new here in the carbonfibre world, bought a OF660 and its an impressivev guitar. reading a lot in this forum and the X20 is such a nice guitar. But to place an order without playing this before ist an big adventure.
So - nice to hear that sombody else from norway has one.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

They are strictly identical to the original tuners, just the Magnum locking mechanism added, so the swap takes litterally 5 minutes without any modification.
Weight wise they’re probably slightly heavier but I don’t feel any difference mounted.
Just be sure to go for the mini 510 tuners. The reference of the ones I bought is SGS510Z-A07-MGT-LONG. The buttons were the more traditional squarish ones, I changed them for the original ones.

With a pinless bridge, insert the ball end, pull, lock, string installed 😃

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber